Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Five years? Sorry I just don't buy that. Maybe back in the mid nineties when the then conservative goverment was trying to dismantle the system through chronic underfunding. Most people here wouldn't even dream of getting rid of the system, the NHS is something we're proud of. While there are wait times for non emergencies (typicaly two months tops) the system works for the most part. Is it perfect- no. European countries (such as France, Germany and Switzerland) have better systems than us with as good as no wait times.
The UK NHS is the third largest employer in the world. Can you imagine the bureaucracy we'd be facing to provide a system covering five times that many people?

No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Seriously, dude, you do not want to get into a debate of wits with me, i will happily put you in your place, very quickly.
I'm terrified.

Seriously, dude, buy a calculator.

Besides, the numbers you pulled out of your butt are so unrealistic and so far outside the norm for small businesses, it's utterly and completely laughable.

Quote:
if you're looking for intelligent debate, i advise you to refrain from petty insults.
I'm looking, but not finding anything resembling it in your posts.

Why don't you use your "basic 4th grade math skills" using more realistic numbers? Maybe then I'll take you seriously.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Did you read my entire post? Seriously, dude, you do not want to get into a debate of wits with me, i will happily put you in your place, very quickly. (Yea the gloves are off, i'm getting really tired of the people that are just spreading lies, because of their inability to think on their own)
Grade schoolers are the only ones who use the term "dude"

So, you are in 6th, maybe 7th grade? You certainly are not an adult.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Five years? Sorry I just don't buy that. Maybe back in the mid nineties when the then conservative goverment was trying to dismantle the system through chronic underfunding. Most people here wouldn't even dream of getting rid of the system, the NHS is something we're proud of. While there are wait times for non emergencies (typicaly two months tops) the system works for the most part. Is it perfect- no. European countries (such as France, Germany and Switzerland) have better systems than us with as good as no wait times.
Well, I'm admittedly no expert on medical care/insurance in other countries. But what I quoted is exactly what our friends said, and I've never known them to "exaggerate". I normally pick up on that sort of thing like radar. But this IS an older couple and their son is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So maybe it was a communication issue, who knows?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:20 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Grade schoolers are the only ones who use the term "dude"

So, you are in 6th, maybe 7th grade? You certainly are not an adult.
I'm an Engineer and I frequently use the word "dude". Also I occasionally call parts that I'm working on "dudes"

Example: "If we just raise the resistance on these dudes it will generate less noise."

I'm pretty sure I'm beyond 6th or 7th grade.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm terrified.

Seriously, dude, buy a calculator.

Besides, the numbers you pulled out of your butt are so unrealistic and so far outside the norm for small businesses, it's utterly and completely laughable.

I'm looking, but not finding anything resembling it in your posts.

Why don't you use your "basic 4th grade math skills" using more realistic numbers? Maybe then I'll take you seriously.

Swagger, i'm not going to bother getting in a petty little debate with you if you feel the numbers i have listed are unrealistic, however, i challenge you to provide me with numbers, that you would find more realistic. Thus far you've offerd no empirical or conclusive evidence that would support your opinion or would validate your concerns with what i posted.

What would you find more realistic?

Please answer the following

How much do you think it cost to insure a family of 4? (monthly or yearly cost)

How much do you think it cost to insure a single person? (monthly or yearly cost)

How much of the total medical insurance cost in percentages do you think a company is willing to pick up?

What would you estimate as a good average salary for the business of your choice??

How many people would you assume choose Family (percentage wise) at this company of yours?

How many people would you assume choose Single Coverage (percentage wise) at the this company of yours?

How many total employees would you estimate work at this business of your choosing?

Answer these questions and I'll debate you with a sufficient rebuttal based on what you think are accurate numbers for those questions above.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Swagger, i'm not going to bother getting in a petty little debate with you if you feel the numbers i have listed are unrealistic, however, i challenge you to provide me with numbers, that you would find more realistic. Thus far you've offerd no empirical or conclusive evidence that would support your opinion or would validate your concerns with what i posted.

What would you find more realistic?

Please answer the following

How much do you think it cost to insure a family of 4? (monthly or yearly cost)

How much do you think it cost to insure a single person? (monthly or yearly cost)

How much of the total medical insurance cost in percentages do you think a company is willing to pick up?

What would you estimate as a good average salary for the business of your choice??

How many people would you assume choose Family (percentage wise) at this company of yours?

How many people would you assume choose Single Coverage (percentage wise) at the this company of yours?

How many total employees would you estimate work at this business of your choosing?

Answer these questions and I'll debate you with a sufficient rebuttal based on what you think are accurate numbers for those questions above.

OK this is for everyone else your bluster makes conversation with you impossible but for everyone else look at this.

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/10722998?f=related

"As a percentage of payroll, payments for medically related benefits accounted for 12.1 percent of employer benefit costs"

An 8% tax would be a savings.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I'm an Engineer and I frequently use the word "dude". Also I occasionally call parts that I'm working on "dudes"

Example: "If we just raise the resistance on these dudes it will generate less noise."

I'm pretty sure I'm beyond 6th or 7th grade.
I thought those would be dudedads or thingys.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:41 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The UK NHS is the third largest employer in the world. Can you imagine the bureaucracy we'd be facing to provide a system covering five times that many people?

No thanks.
not to mention the fraud......

Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
At least they created those jobs and not outsourced them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies