Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 05:10 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav View Post
I assumed nothing, in fact I live OUTSIDE the US and know nothing of the system.
Then how do you hope to be able to comment intelligently on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:12 PM

79 posts, read 74,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Then how do you hope to be able to comment intelligently on it?
Because the US doesn't own the dilemma. It happens al round the world.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:22 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering what your opinions are on the rich and if you think they should pay more taxes?

Personally, I think they should the rich have a very high share of dividens and capital gains which are taxed at 15%.

On the other hand the poor the income tax is 10% and the middle-class are in the 25% tax brackets and most of the middle-class dont have as heavily amount of dollars from dividens and capital gains like the rich so the middle-class are being taxed at a higher rate then the rich in alot of cases.

Another thing is since interest on housing payments, charity (churches) and property taxes are tax-deductible these generally benefit the rich much more then the poor and middle-class.

I think that they raise the income tax rate on the wealthy to 40% like during the Clinton years and go from 15% to 20ish% on capital gains and dividens taxes.

why should the rich pay more taxes? are you afraid that they are not paying their fair share, even if their share is many times what most of the USA already pay.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:
I gather that those people on here who don't really have what it takes financially will say that the rich should be taxed more. Envy is a Deadly Sin, ya know!

I, however will not tolerate the rich being taxed more.
Quote:
I assumed nothing, in fact I live OUTSIDE the US and know nothing of the system.

Quote:
Because the US doesn't own the dilemma. It happens al round the world.
So you do know something about the issue....
ok... then I still think you made an assumption.

But, no biggie... we all pay taxes and die so I guess we all know something about those...

Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
What do you want ...the rich to pay so much in tax that their net is equal to everyone elses ?
Why do you want the rich to pay more taxes when they are already paying more taxes ?

I think the figure is around 43% of Americans do not pay taxes. That is almost 1/2 folks..that is a staggering figure and will only grow bigger not smaller as we lose jobs and industries to either bankruptcy or offshoring.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What do you want ...the rich to pay so much in tax that their net is equal to everyone elses ?
Why do you want the rich to pay more taxes when they are already paying more taxes ?

I think the figure is around 43% of Americans do not pay taxes. That is almost 1/2 folks..that is a staggering figure and will only grow bigger not smaller as we lose jobs and industries to either bankruptcy or offshoring.

Isn't it funny that the bums who pay no taxes want those of us who pay taxes to pay more.

Hell no I do not want to pay more, I want to pay less and make the 43% of people who are sucking us try give me the tax break and have them make up the difference and pay their fair share.

Only people who are selfish or losers themselves would ever believe that 1/2 of us should pay taxes while the other have uses our goods and services for free.

No more tax refund for welfare types with 5 kids either, I heard of a couple who have 5 kids and make 25k per year income and got 7,000 back in tax refunds which is stealing to me. Make a lousy 25k and get back 7000 dollars when they never paid a red cent into is amazing to me.

Lets go with a fair tax to every single person 18 to 65 and end all welfare, food stamps, free healthcare, etc we can eliminate the huge debt this moron is piling up right now.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:

I don't know if you're asking me or not... but, if 43% are not paying taxes... that could be changed I imagine. One reason this could though is because average wages have declined over the years for most working Americans even though their productivity has risen and the concentration of wealth has increased to the top n%.

And as for the number increasing because of bankruptcy or offshoring, that's a wage earners fault? They should continue to pay the same rate of taxes if that happens to them? The cause of that would be executive management... I think.

I still want some sort of graduated tax. The rates don't have to be what they are now... although they are probably a good starting point.

I was asked my opinion.... I gave it, sorry you don't like it. What can I do?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I don't know if you're asking me or not... but, if 43% are not paying taxes... that could be changed I imagine. One reason this could though is because average wages have declined over the years for most working Americans even though their productivity has risen and the concentration of wealth has increased to the top n%.

And as for the number increasing because of bankruptcy or offshoring, that's a wage earners fault? They should continue to pay the same rate of taxes if that happens to them? The cause of that would be executive management... I think.

I still want some sort of graduated tax. The rates don't have to be what they are now... although they are probably a good starting point.

I was asked my opinion.... I gave it, sorry you don't like it. What can I do?
No not directed at you specifically but to the folks that advocate higher taxes on the rich.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
They do pay more taxes simply because they have more income to be taxed. I don't think they should have to pay at a higher rate than those earning a lesser salary. I am in the latter group.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:

You are correct sir.

The Income Tax System is Broken - CBS News

(CBS) On April 15, don't be surprised if the line at your local post office is a bit shorter than usual. That's because your neighbors may not be paying any income taxes this year. An astonishing 43.4 percent of Americans now pay zero or negative federal income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies