Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'm all for marijuana being legalized but cocaine, heroin, meth, and LSD....

One thing at a time.

By legalizing and decriminalizing marijuana we would be saving ourselves a ton of money but there are lots of forces that don't want to see that (a lot of the law enforcement community-less people to arrest, the people who make money through the prison system-less prisoners, etc).
I tend to agree w/ you. Pot is nowhere near the level of the other drugs you mentioned. Hell,even BEER has the potential to make you a LOT more impaired!! Anyone doesn't agree? Try it. Smoke all you want,you'll only get "so" high,until you just fall asleep. Drink enough beer, you'll get drunk as a skunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
As long as the individuals aren't resorting to stealing in order to feed their habit, why not?
My only concern is the crime level after these drugs are legalized.
I always doubted it would rise. The ease of obtaining these drugs is already akin to simply going to the drug store for milk. If you want to use drugs, you'll use them legal or not. If you don't, you won't.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,665 times
Well people aren't noticing that it says only small amounts, and they weren't "legalized" they were "decriminalized" Those are actually two very different meanings. Hell pot has been decriminalized in some states, people just don't know. Really no one should be charged for having a small amount of any drug, intent to distribute is an entirely different subject tho.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
If anything, I believe crime rates would go down. It's the fact that they're illegal that contributes to crime in the U.S.

We need fewer laws regarding personal behavior in this country, not more.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Ugh,

Its a sad day when Mexico is more progressive than my country.

Well, time to start looking for a job in Mexico.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:06 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,665 times
Well, to be fair, Mexico is basically run by drug cartels. So this isn't that much of a surprise...

Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
As long as the individuals aren't resorting to stealing in order to feed their habit, why not?
I agree. I think that marijuana should be legalized. But one can't be strung out on heroin, coke or meth and be productive members of society. Of course they will commit crimes to feed their habit. That's ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:18 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I can't believe our federal government still has a "zero tolerance" policy on drug use. I'm hoping that individual states (like California) continue the push to legalize marijuana.
its completely absurd. The war on drugs is a bigger joke then the war on terror. And has probably cost more lives and resources.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Well, to be fair, Mexico is basically run by drug cartels. So this isn't that much of a surprise...
To be fair, the government of Mexico is in a hard-fought, grueling war against drug cartels, and this reform is a major blow to them, as any sane person recognizes.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If anything, I believe crime rates would go down. It's the fact that they're illegal that contributes to crime in the U.S.

We need fewer laws regarding personal behavior in this country, not more.
I see your point, I just don't think we can sit here thinking this won't lead to an increase in crime. Some people will probably steal (more) now that their drug of choice is legalized and they can get more of it.

I do realize Mexico decriminalized small amounts but still.

I'm all for individuals being free to engage in things that don't harm others.

I think most of America is ready to legalize marijuana. It will take quite some time to convince them to decriminalize meth, cocaine, heroin, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies