Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:29 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,921,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
....but I can assure you that I do a great job itemizing my taxes for charitable deductions.
If it's truly charity, why the need to 'do a great job itemizing'? Could it be that by doing so your tax liability is lessened? Is that truly charity?

I also donate a fair share and I also itemize the monetary amount I donate. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and 'moralize' why I donate time (btw, I don't itemized my time) and money to charity. I do it because I believe in the cause AND because it lessens my tax liability.

The discussion of this post is about a millionaire who took $4500 (I don't know the exact amount he got) from a government program. Said program only had a specific amount of money to relegate. By taking said money, a person truly in need of the 'hand out' may not have gotten it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I have read IDEA more than once. I know what the law says. Compliance is put squarely on the state DOEs. Since we last discussed this, I checked on what state you live in. Good 'ole PA. Our DOE definitely serves the school districts, not the students. Depending on who the compliance officer is in your area, you will be hard pressed to get help even when the SD is blatantly ignoring or violating the regs. There are thousands of cases where the only way a school district was going to comply with IDEA is if the state forced them to -- it won't -- or if a judge forced them to -- and most parents can't afford the protracted lawsuit that one finds oneself in when suing a school district. The school districts rely on the fact that few parents can afford it and they can delay the proceedings long enough that the child will no longer benefit.

Sort of like fighting an insurance company for benefits.
Thank you for a great post and all very true. It was and is an uphill battle.
The cost of my battle has exceeded 26g... Its not the money that hurts. As I tell my friends its only money I'll make more everyday that I work.
What hurts is the very small window of opportunity that was lost forever.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:28 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,921,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thank you for a great post and all very true. It was and is an uphill battle.
The cost of my battle has exceeded 26g... Its not the money that hurts. As I tell my friends its only money I'll make more everyday that I work.
What hurts is the very small window of opportunity that was lost forever.
Sad and true. My son had a correctable disablility which the school was required to address. Because of the shortage of professionals in that field, they decided they would wait three years to see if he would 'outgrown' the problem. It took a year of me being a 'sqeaky wheel' to get them to provide the service. But, compared with your daughter's autism, his problem was a mere splinter. My prayers to you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies