Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Just curious - how does one get OVER a 4.0 GPA??? Did they switch to a different scale?

And, my cousin, who is white, got into UCLA with a 3.5 GPA and a 1300 on her SAT. Her parents were millionaires. She also got into UC Berkeley. I don't think the UC schools reject someone on the basis of "too much money"; although I'm sure they do make room for many who don't have money.
In high school it's possible to get over a 4.0 if you take AP or IB classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times
Quote:
Just curious - how does one get OVER a 4.0 GPA??? Did they switch to a different scale?

And, my cousin, who is white, got into UCLA with a 3.5 GPA and a 1300 on her SAT. Her parents were millionaires. She also got into UC Berkeley. I don't think the UC schools reject someone on the basis of "too much money"; although I'm sure they do make room for many who don't have money.
Loads of IB classes...

Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times
Quote:

The UC system has a "hollistic" and "comprehensive" approach to selection. Meaning, that they consider you in local context and consider hardships that you may have endured. So a top performer at a bad school is not denied on basis of GPA. Or, a student that works long hours is given the benefit of the doubt if something else is slightly lacking. Thus, it's not as if they reject those with money...but rather they accept those without.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
Since the founding of universities the admission process has never been about admitting the "most qualified applicants." It's not even possible to define what constitutes "most qualified." George Bush got into Yale and HBS and he was no where near "the most qualified." Athletes get admitted on scholarship based upon athletic ability not academic excellence. Most schools have long recognized that they want a student body that reflects the population of the country.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
Where did this story come from? Do you have a link or something?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I think this is one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on C-D, and that is saying a lot.

This whole mind set about giving spots to less qualified people just because they are a minority has done nothing but harm our country. We should give the person most qualified for any position, be it college, jobs, whatever that spot. They will make the most of it, since they have the best skills for it.

Altruism has it's place in society, but this claim that Jesus would want us to deny our children the chance to succeed in order to allow someone else child to have that chance is just silly. We are to help those who can't help themselves, for example homeless folks, elderly, disabled. Kids who for whatever reason didn't do good in high school doesn't quite fall into that category.

All Christians are taught, and should understand that we are to take care of our family first, before taking care of others. We understand the Jesus helps those who help themselves first.
And you believe that Jesus would make the same sort of petty distinctions that you make about who is truly 'disadvantaged?'

Throughout the Gospels, who is the person held up as the example for proper behavior in each of the parables? The person who sacrifices and puts another person first, regardless of reason or circumstance.
You are like the elder brother in the parable of The Prodigal Son - perhaps you should re-read it some time to understand why your stance is deficient.

Matthew 10:37 "
"Any person that loves his father or mother more than he loves me is not good enough to follow me. Any person who loves his son or daughter more than he loves me is not good enough to follow me.""

You might also want to re-read Matthew 25:34-45.

And, FYI, nowhere in the Bible does it say that God or Jesus helps those who help themselves - that was actually penned by... Benjamin Franklin.

Everyday Theology: God helps those who help themselves « Blogging Theologically

Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
i have to agree.

the OP didnt even preface this "story" by saying where it happened. what college it was. when this was. who asked the question. its a fabricated story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Unless college applicants are nothing more than the sum of their SAT scores this isn't an issue. Colleges choose students based on many criteria, one of which can be having a well rounded or diverse incoming freshman class. The "less qualified minority student" might have something to offer that the one with the higher test scores did not. That's how admissions work.

It's setting up a false scenario in the first place so there is no right or wrong answer. It's not a "liberal" issue so why try to make it one?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Where did this story come from? Do you have a link or something?
I was listening to the Michael Savage show, and he was ranting about this liberal mother who thought it was ok for her child being denied admission to a university over a less qualified minority. This was on a previous show maybe a year or two ago.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And you believe that Jesus would make the same sort of petty distinctions that you make about who is truly 'disadvantaged?'

Throughout the Gospels, who is the person held up as the example for proper behavior in each of the parables? The person who sacrifices and puts another person first, regardless of reason or circumstance.
You are like the elder brother in the parable of The Prodigal Son - perhaps you should re-read it some time to understand why your stance is deficient.

Matthew 10:37 "
"Any person that loves his father or mother more than he loves me is not good enough to follow me. Any person who loves his son or daughter more than he loves me is not good enough to follow me.""

You might also want to re-read Matthew 25:34-45.

And, FYI, nowhere in the Bible does it say that God or Jesus helps those who help themselves - that was actually penned by... Benjamin Franklin.

Everyday Theology: God helps those who help themselves « Blogging Theologically
I agree with you.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The UC system has a "hollistic" and "comprehensive" approach to selection. Meaning, that they consider you in local context and consider hardships that you may have endured. So a top performer at a bad school is not denied on basis of GPA. Or, a student that works long hours is given the benefit of the doubt if something else is slightly lacking. Thus, it's not as if they reject those with money...but rather they accept those without.
You are right. I didn't grow up priviledged, nor did I attend an outstanding school system. But I thank God that someone at UCLA took notice and saw that I was motivated to tackle on the challenge of university work, even though I did need a lot of tutoring along the way. That investment in me paid off big time because now I am giving something back to the same community of kids who were just like me--black, brown, and poor by teaching them in the classroom. ABOUT 40% OF MY STUDENTS COME TO ME BELOW GRADE LEVEL BUT WHEN THEY LEAVE MY CLASSROOM THEY ARE AT OR VERY NEAR GRADE LEVEL. I HAVE THE TEST DATA TO PROVE IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies