Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times

Advertisements

A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
It's a pretty stupid question, people don't get into their first choice college all the time, for any number of reason. There would never be a situation where someone didn't get into college because a less qualified minority "took their spot" because they never had a spot. And if they are well qualified they would get in somewhere just as good so no "opportunity" was lost.

Because the question is bogus the answer doesn't even matter.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a pretty stupid question, people don't get into their first choice college all the time, for any number of reason. There would never be a situation where someone didn't get into college because a less qualified minority "took their spot" because they never had a spot. And if they are well qualified they would get in somewhere just as good so no "opportunity" was lost.

I tried, I really did to figure out the logic of your argument, but it just wasn't there.

The question is stupid because there are different reasons why someone might not get into a college? What kind of logic is that, the question focused on one aspect of why someone would be denied entrance to a college.

It seems your entire argument is based on, to bad for the kids, but don't worry you will get into some other college so everything is okay. That is a load of rubbish and you know it, if a kid gets denied say Harvard and ends up being stuck in a State college, do you really think they will have the same chances in the work place as the kid who got the Harvard spot?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:23 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,416 times
Cool Question... extremely philosophical, can't wait for your next question.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

This is not an issue of whether or not the child would still get accepted into another university. It's an issue of whether that qualified child over a less qualified minority child doesn't get accepted into a very good university of his or her first choice.

This topic was discussed on the Michael Savage show, and he was just ranting about the way in which some liberals think even with matters concerning their own children.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
What Ceece said. Besides which, the fact that she thinks it would be "fair", doesn't mean she would "deny her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have."

Who said she wants the minority to have the opportunity over her own child? I'm pretty sure she wants her own child to have the opportunity to get the best education she can. But if someone else gets in before her child, she wouldn't necessarily think it was unfair.

I mean, I want a pony, but I don't think it's unfair that guy who was selling it chose to sell it to the person with less riding experience than I have.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,659 times
Equality and preferential treatment are mutually exclusive.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What Ceece said. Besides which, the fact that she thinks it would be "fair", doesn't mean she would "deny her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have."

Who said she wants the minority to have the opportunity over her own child? I'm pretty sure she wants her own child to have the opportunity to get the best education she can. But if someone else gets in before her child, she wouldn't necessarily think it was unfair.

I mean, I want a pony, but I don't think it's unfair that guy who was selling it chose to sell it to the person with less riding experience than I have.
Good point. I wonder would you think it was fair for the guy to sell the pony to someone who has a child with less riding experience than yours?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:32 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Unless college applicants are nothing more than the sum of their SAT scores this isn't an issue. Colleges choose students based on many criteria, one of which can be having a well rounded or diverse incoming freshman class. The "less qualified minority student" might have something to offer that the one with the higher test scores did not. That's how admissions work.
Quote:

This is not an issue of whether or not the child would still get accepted into another university. It's an issue of whether that qualified child over a less qualified minority child doesn't get accepted into a very good university of his or her first choice.

This topic was discussed on the Michael Savage show, and he was just ranting about the way in which some liberals think even with matters concerning their own children.
It's setting up a false scenario in the first place so there is no right or wrong answer. It's not a "liberal" issue so why try to make it one?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
A liberal thinking mother of a college aged student was asked did she think it was fair or right for her child to be denied admission to a good university over a less qualified minority student? She unequivocally stated yes it was fair because that minority student, unfortunately, has not had the same opportunities as her priviledged child, and thus it would be fair for that less qualified minority to be admitted into a good university.

Is this madness or not? I am a black male, and I believe in fairness for all. But I was just floored when I heard that this liberal thinking mother give, basically, a politically correct answer while denying her own child the same opportunity that she wants to see a less qualified minority child have. I don't understand the logic there at all.
I see no links, and it sounds like you pulled this story out of your ass in order to make "liberal thinking" sound illogical. I am a "liberal" (socially far left but fiscally just left of center) and I think the mother's answer is ridiculous. I don't believe it is true, but even if it was, it does not exemplify "liberal thinking" at all. Ask a good cross-section, say 1000 people, and then come back and report their answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies