Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times

Advertisements

Haha! Good one. Obama's plan helps the big corporate union thugs while it robs Joe six pack of potential business in small repairs of these very usable cars. Then again, these car repairmen are probably all gun owning rednecks and thus don't deserve the business they'd be getting if Obama simply laid off the free market for a moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
For "whom" does it work?
Taxpayers were ripped off $3 billion. The government took my money to give to people who will buy new cars that are much nicer than mine!
Very good point by the Cato author. Also, see the links in the article and then tell me it "works". Something FREE always "works".
$3 billion is nothing. It is what we spend in Iraq in 2 days.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,448,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You are quoting a government run website. Here is the bitter reality on what is really happening to these poor vehicles, what a waste. I sure could have used this truck....
Um, regardless if the scrapyard decides its worthwhile to salvage used parts, it still doesn't change the fact that the crushed clunkers are off to the steel mills for recycling. My point is, provide proof that the negative environmental impact of recycling these clunkers is greater than leaving the cars on the road for X number of years.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Some of these low income families will now get back to work. Working to build and replace the cars that have now been sold from the lots. And I think that is a great thing!
Low income families don't have someone working in an auto plant. The cars/trucks that have been scrapped are usually the ones that hard working people use because they can afford them. an even bigger issue is many of them are trucks/vans and people with small business's that require these vehicles are going to find slim pickings that will probably be more expensive than they should be.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
So everything but the drivetrain and engine may be sold for parts, and the rest of the vehicle is scrapped for metal. Doesn't sound like the "literal disposal of cars" now does it?
Well yes it is because without an engine/drivetrain parts are pointless. Many people will utilize those engines to extend the life of other vehicles, there's a scrap yard near where I live. If you have the know how you could go there and find a decent running engine, you need to take it out yourself. The only thing they do is the heavy lifting. Take it home and put it into your own vehicle..total cost is like $100. Rebuilt transmisssion is like $1000... Big difference.

Of course you're running the risk of installing a piece of junk but as long as you know the telltale signs and what to look for more often than not you can make out. If not you've only lost $100 and some time.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 976,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
The Three Billion Dollar Boondoggle is about to end. Now just what did it accomplish? Not much.....

A few billion dollars worth of wealth was destroyed.

Low income families were damaged

Taxpayers were ripped off

The federal bureaucracy added another 1100 people

The environment wasn't helped

The auto industry got a "sugar high",..nothing more

Cash for Clunkers: Dumbest Program Ever?
Kept people working, food on the table, loans being made, manufactures busy, suppliers busy and so on...you'd have to be an idiot to think it was a bad thing.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
$3 billion is nothing. It is what we spend in Iraq in 2 days.
3 billion here 6 billion there before you know you spent a trillion..
This is exactly why we have the monster debt that we have.
It is also why so many americans with good jobs are in debt up to their eyeballs.
Buy now find a way to pay later mentality.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Our occupation of Iraq is over???HOORAY!

Oh wait.

Right... I was hoping to see the end to TSA and Homeland insecurity

or the war on drugs

The list could be long....

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,696 times
I wonder how many of people traded their paid for car and now deeper in debt? It's going to be interesting over the course of the next year how many of these cars are repossed.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:55 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
I'm not against the program per say. The way the administration ran this program should make everyone nervous.

It wasn't a complcated program. The same people that couldn't figure out how long the money would last, it was supposed to go from Aug. 1st thru the end of Nov., it lasted 4 days. then they had to infuse 300% more money and it didn't even last to the end of Aug., the computer system kept breaking down, no data availablr. the dealers have not been paid, are the same people trying to get the government involved more in our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies