Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you abort your unborn child if it was diagnosed with austism?
Yes 44 38.60%
No 70 61.40%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:15 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,577,882 times

Advertisements

I'm pro choice but I'm not a parent. What I can say though is that I am a uncle of a Autistic nephew and knowing my sister if she were given the diagnosis prior to his birth she still would have brought him into the world. Luckily he was disgnosed early enough to start speech therapy since he wasn't talking at all and getting him help with developmental skills to insure he would grow up to have as close to a normal life as possible. Today he does well in school, loves his video games and is not really that much different than most 12 year olds & we're glad he is part of our family. It wasn't easy because at the time of his diagnosis Autisim was just starting to explode & we didn't know what to expect but so far so good ,and I couldn't imagine my world without him in it, so I voted NO on this poll.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,097,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'm pro choice but I'm not a parent. What I can say though is that I am a uncle of a Autistic nephew and knowing my sister if she were given the diagnosis prior to his birth she still would have brought him into the world. Luckily he was disgnosed early enough to start speech therapy since he wasn't talking at all and getting him help with developmental skills to insure he would grow up to have as close to a normal life as possible. Today he does well in school, loves his video games and is not really that much different than most 12 year olds & we're glad he is part of our family. It wasn't easy because at the time of his diagnosis Autisim was just starting to explode & we didn't know what to expect but so far so good ,and I couldn't imagine my world without him in it, so I voted NO on this poll.
Bless your family. The left places no value on life past their own.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,657,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then don't do it, should you ever get pregnant.
It's nice living in the abstract, isn't it.
I live in the real world, couldn't get pregnant as I don't have the parts for it. My wife on the other hand gave me 2 wonderful children, one of whom has a disorder that falls on the autism spectrum. He is a wonderful little boy, very happy and we get help for him via private therapy and he is responding quite well. Is it hard to deal with? At times it can be frustrating and draining but no one every said it would be easy. Nothing brings me more joy than getting a hug and a smile from him (or his brother).

It is a shame that people want to take the easy way out on things like this and use abortion as a means of birth control instead of being educated ahead of time or even afterwards.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:32 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,649,462 times
Autism? The spectrum for autism is huge (unlike what another poster said) so just who would be aborted? Thats like lumping those who are born without a brain with those that have a cleft palate. Unless and until testing can determine the severity of the disorder I would vote 'no'. Personally, I would vote no regardless.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then don't do it, should you ever get pregnant.
It's nice living in the abstract, isn't it.
Damn you. I can never rep you often enough.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
I'm 100% pro-choice, but I would not have an abortion if I were carrying an autistic child. I know some autistic kids and they seem to be happy and are very interesting and quirky. Personally, at this point in my life, I would only terminate a pregnancy if it looked like the child was in for a life of misery from a severe physical or mental defect.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,950,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The lovers of abortion are on the never ending quest to find more reasons to kill a baby. Must keep Planned Parenthood in business.
I'm sure you understand that government agencies will have to pay a boatload of money for possible lifetime care and a myriad of medical and social services for each autistic child? From speech therapy to behavior modification, medication and the list goes on from there.

Your taxes might go up.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,786,783 times
When you bring a life into this world and especially in the highly competitive neo capitalistic system we live under, that life should be equipped to fight his way through this world and compete with others. If a test shows any deformity that would handicapp that life, that fetus should be aborted on the spot.
That is not to say every life will be perfect- my oldest son was born left handed and we tried to correct that in his early years - I would even force him to eat with his right hand- and I finally gave up when the doc told us that he was born with that condition and it would be with him for life (he is in the Navy now and doing fine).
I would not abort for somethng minor like left handedness or even homosexuality but for anything mental, yes, you need to abort because that fetus will never enjoy any quality of life or be able to compete in the neo capitalistic system we all serve under.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM

544 posts, read 1,059,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Considering the fact that the autism spectrum of disorders is huge, this is a very vague statement. There are plenty of children with autism who grow up to have happy and healthy "normal" functioning lives as productive members of society.

Aborting due to autism is almost unthinkable to me.
when I was pregnant they told me the tests indicated that my child was going to have down syndrome. She doesn't. When my partner was pregnant they said her son would be austistic. He is but he's on the high end of the specturm so he functions like any other child; it just takes him a little longer to get things.

soon there will be tests that say "your fetus is blind" do you want to abort? you don't want to deal with raising a blind child. i guess people only want perfect kids. what happens if there are no signs until a later date (happened to my cousin when her son entered prek they discovered he had asperger syndrome) do you have the child put to sleep?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,097,524 times
For all these abortion lovers how would they feel if they could detect if a baby would be gay? Would they approve of abortion for that reason? Most parents would not want a gay child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies