Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times

Advertisements

I watched Glenn Beck a couple of times when he was on CNN - didn't care for the show. I've watched part of a couple of his FOX "News" shows, but he's on right around our dinnertime, and that means that I run the risk of either losing my appetite or losing my dinner!

But those numbers are impressive, and I think a couple of conclusions can be drawn from them:

1. If millions are watching that kind of show, we need to start talking about "conservative media bias."

2. FOX "News" is clearly a player in mainstream media.

Think about that the next time you hear someone on conservative talk radio or TV whine about "media bias" and "mainstream media" .... isn't it a sort of We have met the enemy and he is us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Matthews is becoming a... stooge. He's really beginning to slide. He used to be at least professional even if he was biased, but now he's taken to making an ass out of himself.
I don't like Beck or Hannity, but for all their clownish behavior at least they make an effort to keep the viewers interested and informed. Matthews doesn't stoop to the hatefest level of Olbermann or Maddow but his low opinion of his viewers and obvious belief that they have little cognitive function is rapidly rivalling them.
It's no wonder viewers are abandoning MSNBC. Sure they'll have the government paying their bills to keep going, but somebody soon is going to decide to cut costs and fire the big three and bring in unknowns and get the same ratings.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
No. It's not supposed to be funny. It IS funny!

Whatever you say.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
Your right their is a bunch of white trash who don't work and have time to watch his show in their trailer. It's sad that all you have is a fat drug addict who tried to commit suicide as your fearless leader. You should explain to your kids how he came to be such a loser in his life.

What a pathetic comment. You seem to know a lot about what people do in trailers by the way. Someone who is a self made multimillionaire many many times over is a loser?? What??? Beck probably makes more in one month than you will ever make in your life. But I guess he's a loser because you disagree with him. Good Grief, grow up man.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Wow.. The banter in this forum is usually pretty childish, but... WOW... I've seen absolutely nothing in this thread from the anti-Beck crowd other than second grade name calling.. oh, and a complete lack of, or deliberate ignorance of how ratings work.

Let me guess - for your next trick, you're going to take your ball and go home....

Act your age, guys.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:33 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I watched Glenn Beck a couple of times when he was on CNN - didn't care for the show. I've watched part of a couple of his FOX "News" shows, but he's on right around our dinnertime, and that means that I run the risk of either losing my appetite or losing my dinner!

But those numbers are impressive, and I think a couple of conclusions can be drawn from them:

1. If millions are watching that kind of show, we need to start talking about "conservative media bias."

2. FOX "News" is clearly a player in mainstream media.

Think about that the next time you hear someone on conservative talk radio or TV whine about "media bias" and "mainstream media" .... isn't it a sort of We have met the enemy and he is us?
The controversy over MSM isn't the viewership, it's the total number of networks that are either liberal or conservative. 99% of them are liberal. That makes those the MSM.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow.. The banter in this forum is usually pretty childish, but... WOW... I've seen absolutely nothing in this thread from the anti-Beck crowd other than second grade name calling.. oh, and a complete lack of, or deliberate ignorance of how ratings work.

Let me guess - for your next trick, you're going to take your ball and go home....

Act your age, guys.

Yeah.. okay oh wise one..

So . you think you know so much.. how exactly does TV ratings work

I'd love to hear this.. LOL

Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 PM

459 posts, read 804,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
What a pathetic comment. You seem to know a lot about what people do in trailers by the way. Someone who is a self made multimillionaire many many times over is a loser?? What??? Beck probably makes more in one month than you will ever make in your life. But I guess he's a loser because you disagree with him. Good Grief, grow up man.

At least I have my family around. His committed suicide Ryan Jenkins was also a millionaire and he cut up his ex wife and put her in a suitcase, so I don't think having millions of dollars excludes you from being a loser.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:44 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Ratings and viewership are not indicators of quality.

They're certainly not indicators of discretion or taste.

Quote:
"MAURY" AND "THE JERRY SPRINGER SHOW" DELIVER SEASON-HIGH RATINGS IN HOUSEHOLDS, KEY DEMOS AND TOTAL VIEWERS

"Maury" Averaged 4.5 Million Viewers per Episode;
"The Jerry Springer Show" Averaged 3.2 Million Viewers per Telecast
"Access Hollywood Weekend" Attracts 3.4 Million Viewers Per Episode; Best Numbers In Over 2 Years
Breaking News - "MAURY" AND "THE JERRY SPRINGER SHOW" DELIVER SEASON-HIGH RATINGS IN HOUSEHOLDS, KEY DEMOS AND TOTAL VIEWERS | TheFutonCritic.com

I guess if Glenn Beck wants more viewers, he should start showing paternity test results.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:44 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Most of the Country is Central Right..........not far left and far right. I think Beck is the only guy that's anywhere close to "The Middle." That explains the viewership more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies