Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM

775 posts, read 740,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I like the old school way of life.. the morals, the respect, ones word was a hand shake, integrity was sought after and principles were valued.

Today good is bad and bad is good.

Getting over on someone is considered good today . Sincerity is considered weakness by the majority of hardened hearts. Getting something for nothing is a good deal for many today and the freebees are sought after.

Working hard was honored and providing for ones family was the badge of honor. Today , many seek after pleasures that fade and contentment is hard to find. Wisdom was a crown of glory , yet today the dumbing down of society is creating a social plague that is coarse and unrefined. God help the next generations.

I don't want this country to progress into a deeper disrespect for themselves and becoming more corrupt. It is bad today and it can get worse. Can you guess I am a conservative?
I tire of conservatives spending so much time ranting about the "good old days" that were somehow better than modern society.

Never mind that world poverty is at its lowest in history, civil rights and emancipation are nearly universal among first and many third world nations, and our scientific and technological advancements have propelled utility, medicine and transportation to the highest point in the history of the human race.

But nah, you'd much prefer the time when blacks had to sit at the back of public buses, jews were afraid to reveal their faith in public, and the average person lived to his 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I like the old school way of life.. the morals, the respect, ones word was a hand shake, integrity was sought after and principles were valued.

Today good is bad and bad is good.

Getting over on someone is considered good today . Sincerity is considered weakness by the majority of hardened hearts. Getting something for nothing is a good deal for many today and the freebees are sought after.

Working hard was honored and providing for ones family was the badge of honor. Today , many seek after pleasures that fade and contentment is hard to find. Wisdom was a crown of glory , yet today the dumbing down of society is creating a social plague that is coarse and unrefined. God help the next generations.

I don't want this country to progress into a deeper disrespect for themselves and becoming more corrupt. It is bad today and it can get worse. Can you guess I am a conservative?
You know, I don't think those days ever existed. I've heard this talk since I was a kid, and trust me, that was a long time ago.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
I think of myself as an Independant who has conservative leanings.
I don't believe in big government nor do I trust in big brother knows best. If they can't keep their own house in order what makes them qualified to preach to me how to keep mine?
I believe in helping those who can't help themselves. Autistic people, maimed Vets, teen mothers.
I don't believe in carrying healthy abled bodied people on our backs. I believe welfare recipients should be expected to work a minimum of a 20 hour work week to earn the money we pay them.
I believe no spending package should be passed until we have an absolute way to pay for it before the next spending package is passed.
I don't believe taxes should ever be raised until all fat is cut from the budget. If a town wants a walking park let that town find a way to fund it.
We should not be sticking our nose into the affairs of other countries and never should we be sending our troops into harms way unless it is in the form of national defence.
We should not be playing world cop. We have the UN.
we dont need 12 carrier battle groups.
We dont need enough nukes to destroy the planet more than once.
We need to look at running cars on natural gas. We have an abundance of it sitting untapped.
These are just some of the things that make me a conservative independant.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
I'm a "I don't care what you want to do as long as it's legal and you don't expect me to pay for it".

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 08-25-2012 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Most people would classify me as a "libertarian" because I believe:

in sound money

in individual liberty and small government

that the MIC and the warfare state are immoral and should be abolished

that bailouts and government intervention into the market place are wrong and should cease immediately

strongly in the 2nd amendment

that eventually our debt will crush us and we need to seriously reform our entitlement system and cut our spending by 75% or more

that power is vested to the states not the federal government

that the so called "Patriot" Act is immoral, unethical, unconstitutional, and makes us less safe

that we should butt out of the world's business and bring our troops home

that the "war on terror" makes us markedly less safe

that who people marry or what they put in their bodies so long as they don't infringe on anyone else's rights is no business of the state

and finally, I believe that a central bank is the root cause of the boom/bust cycle and should be ended and we should allow the market to operate normally without the interference of a Federal Reserve and it's unforeseen consequences.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:49 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I don't think those days ever existed. I've heard this talk since I was a kid, and trust me, that was a long time ago.
Today there are the ones who are honorable but there are fewer today . The world is different . It has progressed to worse times as far as morals.. we make strides in science , which is really the study of creation and unlocking the wisdom of our creator by the tools he has given us.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:38 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Brains...

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

Winston Churchill
And at the age of forty Churchill was in the Liberal party.
And he NEVER said the above, his wife was a lifetime Liberal

Old 08-25-2012, 03:45 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Most people would classify me as a "libertarian" because I believe:

in sound money

in individual liberty and small government

that the MIC and the warfare state are immoral and should be abolished

that bailouts and government intervention into the market place are wrong and should cease immediately

strongly in the 2nd amendment

that eventually our debt will crush us and we need to seriously reform our entitlement system and cut our spending by 75% or more

that power is vested to the states not the federal government

that the so called "Patriot" Act is immoral, unethical, unconstitutional, and makes us less safe

that we should butt out of the world's business and bring our troops home

that the "war on terror" makes us markedly less safe

that who people marry or what they put in their bodies so long as they don't infringe on anyone else's rights is no business of the state

and finally, I believe that a central bank is the root cause of the boom/bust cycle and should be ended and we should allow the market to operate normally without the interference of a Federal Reserve and it's unforeseen consequences.
Why are Libertarians such hypocrites ? I would give Libertarians a choice, stop whining about taxes or have the right to pay no taxes.
But, you use nothing that taxpayer money has been spent on, no roads, no schools, no hospitals, no universities etc etc etc.
Amusing that I have never ever run into a libertarian who would take the no tax option.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
I am liberal. What separates me from a conservative is that I have an education, I am appreciative of science and the strides we've made, I have a desire for clean air, and I don't wrap god up in a flag and think I'm a better American because I have religion.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just because you didn't experience them doesn't mean they didn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies