Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

This is somewhat less controversial but I just read this about President Obama's one week vacation:

"In between the interruptions, Obama has managed to find time to play golf, visit local restaurants and play tennis and basketball, as well as dig into a 2,300-page stack of books he brought along."

Obama ends frenetic vacation

This man is the President of the United States. He's off one week and doesn't even actually get real down time away from his job and someone expects me to believe this "I haven't read the bill" guy took 2,300 pages worth of books with him on vacation? I go on vacation and I take one or two books with me and I typically read 1 to 2 books a week. This guy has a family he doesn't spend a lot of time with normally and I'm expected to believe he planned to read maybe 6 - 10 books on a one week vacation?

AND, the President isn't even the real person I'm actually cheesed off with on this issue because he's not out there promoting books. This was just the memory jogger for my real gripe and that is the people with M - F, TV shows or comedy TV news shows that RECOMMEND books regularly you absolutely know they didn't/couldn't have read. What do they do, assign books to staff members and tell them to tab the controversial pages so the host can skim them and bring up those points on TV? Sort of like how Congress reads bills? And they always start out with something like "I read your book and..." Total BS! It's akin to being a movie critic and doing your review of the movie from the trailer.

With book reviewers, at least you know they read the books they review. They usually praise or pan a book less frequently than the TV guys (meant non-gender-specifically) so they have time to read a book and review it and it's actually their job to read and review.

One time, a long time ago, Katie Couric had Gillian Anderson (X-Files) on her morning show. Anderson was promoting the original X-Files movie, if I remember correctly. A snippy Couric, flat out said to Anderson, "I'm sorry, I don't watch your show." Without missing a beat, Anderson said right back to her, "That's okay, I don't watch yours, either."

Now wouldn't it be refreshing if the TV hosts, especially the TV news hosts, actually owned up to not reading the book they tout? Should we believe them on other things if they stretch the truth on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
That's the one thing about O'Reilly that gripes me. I don't really like the book-pushing that comes with his guests.

On a separate note:

Barack promised Michelle he'd quit smoking if she would agree to let him run for President.

We see how well that worked out. Apparently smooth-talking used car salesmenship works on his wife too.

Maybe he'd be a better book-pusher than President? I'm convinced he can sell just about anything to the clueless.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is somewhat less controversial but I just read this about President Obama's one week vacation:

"In between the interruptions, Obama has managed to find time to play golf, visit local restaurants and play tennis and basketball, as well as dig into a 2,300-page stack of books he brought along."

Obama ends frenetic vacation

This man is the President of the United States. He's off one week and doesn't even actually get real down time away from his job and someone expects me to believe this "I haven't read the bill" guy took 2,300 pages worth of books with him on vacation? I go on vacation and I take one or two books with me and I typically read 1 to 2 books a week. This guy has a family he doesn't spend a lot of time with normally and I'm expected to believe he planned to read maybe 6 - 10 books on a one week vacation?

AND, the President isn't even the real person I'm actually cheesed off with on this issue because he's not out there promoting books. This was just the memory jogger for my real gripe and that is the people with M - F, TV shows or comedy TV news shows that RECOMMEND books regularly you absolutely know they didn't/couldn't have read. What do they do, assign books to staff members and tell them to tab the controversial pages so the host can skim them and bring up those points on TV? Sort of like how Congress reads bills? And they always start out with something like "I read your book and..." Total BS! It's akin to being a movie critic and doing your review of the movie from the trailer.

With book reviewers, at least you know they read the books they review. They usually praise or pan a book less frequently than the TV guys (meant non-gender-specifically) so they have time to read a book and review it and it's actually their job to read and review.

One time, a long time ago, Katie Couric had Gillian Anderson (X-Files) on her morning show. Anderson was promoting the original X-Files movie, if I remember correctly. A snippy Couric, flat out said to Anderson, "I'm sorry, I don't watch your show." Without missing a beat, Anderson said right back to her, "That's okay, I don't watch yours, either."

Now wouldn't it be refreshing if the TV hosts, especially the TV news hosts, actually owned up to not reading the book they tout? Should we believe them on other things if they stretch the truth on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's the one thing about O'Reilly that gripes me. I don't really like the book-pushing that comes with his guests.

On a separate note:

Barack promised Michelle he'd quit smoking if she would agree to let him run for President.

We see how well that worked out. Apparently smooth-talking used car salesmenship works on his wife too.

Maybe he'd be a better book-pusher than President? I'm convinced he can sell just about anything to the clueless.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I must recognize the creativity that comes out of the right wing. They refuse to amuse me. Typically, a person who reads a lot, finds time for it, is seen as an intellectual. Wait... that IS a bad thing for a right winger. My bad! BUT,
1- You complain about him not reading the bill. Which bill are you talking about? Is there one he is expected to?
2- You're, clearly, not even close to Obama's capacity. And worse, it doesn't make you look good to assume nobody else can, what you can't.
3- You don't have to believe anything. But it seems, you want to, and in case of Obama, anything negative. Its your world... makes you a happier person (I hope).

Holy cow, a person on vacation can't even live his own life, making personal choices, without being criticized.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

On a separate note:

Maybe she's still busy finally being proud of America and hasn't noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies