Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times

Advertisements

On Sept. 8, 2009, Obama will address America's School Children Across The Entire Nation

Has apparently become, well, not the entire nation. That's what I'd call the 'public option'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The anti-Obama people become more ridiculous and bizarre. Their behavior is irrational and totally unreasonable. Good subjects for a study in mass hysteria and paranoia.
Maybe on the day that this "master commie plan" speech is delivered the parents will hide with their children under their beds.
How do these parents "shelter" their children from the world around them?
You lefties would have been rioting if your kids were forced to watch a video in school that said "I pledge to be of service to George W. Bush." Why is it OK when its Obama?

Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,054,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It's so embarrassing that these school districts are so full of stupid people.

"What seems to be drawing the most ire are optional preparatory materials from the Department of Education asking students to "Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president."

Something like that gets kids thinking about how to help in their own neighborhoods, about civic-mindedness generally. I dont know how this isnt obvious.

You'd rather have a president waste time and show how disconnected he is with something like this?

Bush Urges Youngsters to Help Friends on Drugs - The New York Times
In a 15-minute nationally televised plea from the White House library, the President presented the latest round of an anti-drug campaign that began a week ago with another nationally broadcast message announcing a $7.9 billion package.

But less than a mile from the White House, a 7-year-old boy who heard the President shook his head and suggested that the President's argument was too simple.
I keep thinking of Dana Carvey doing his HW Bush on SNL.
hilarious...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/400999...arvey_as_bush/

Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Quote:
It's so embarrassing that these school districts are so full of stupid people.

"What seems to be drawing the most ire are optional preparatory materials from the Department of Education asking students to "Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president."

Something like that gets kids thinking about how to help in their own neighborhoods, about civic-mindedness generally. I dont know how this isnt obvious.

You'd rather have a president waste time and show how disconnected he is with something like this?

Bush Urges Youngsters to Help Friends on Drugs - The New York Times
In a 15-minute nationally televised plea from the White House library, the President presented the latest round of an anti-drug campaign that began a week ago with another nationally broadcast message announcing a $7.9 billion package.

But less than a mile from the White House, a 7-year-old boy who heard the President shook his head and suggested that the President's argument was too simple.
Bush's discussion was of a specific and target area of concern, Obama's could be interpreted as advocacy for the President's agenda. These are very major differences.

As I stated earlier in this thread, let's see what he is going to say when the transcript is posted. I suspect it will end up being acceptable and a non-issue, especially now that they have been "sensititized" to the objections many parents have about their approach to communications.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:42 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You lefties would have been rioting if your kids were forced to watch a video in school that said "I pledge to be of service to George W. Bush." Why is it OK when its Obama?
exactly.

instead of addressing this fact, they will continue to shriek that bush once spoke to a group of kids, too

Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
exactly.

instead of addressing this fact, they will continue to shriek that bush once spoke to a group of kids, too
If Obama was just showing up to read Dr. Seuss to some kids, I wouldn't have a problem with it...but this is pure political indoctrination, and while I lean to the right, I'd have a problem with a republican president doing the same thing. Keep political propaganda out of schools from both sides.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Bush's discussion was of a specific and target area of concern, Obama's could be interpreted as advocacy for the President's agenda. These are very major differences.

As I stated earlier in this thread, let's see what he is going to say when the transcript is posted. I suspect it will end up being acceptable and a non-issue, especially now that they have been "sensititized" to the objections many parents have about their approach to communications.
? You dont know what he's going to say, yet it "could be interpreted as advocacy for the President's agenda", yet you "suspect it will end up being acceptable and a non-issue".

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Quote:
? You dont know what he's going to say, yet it "could be interpreted as advocacy for the President's agenda", yet you "suspect it will end up being acceptable and a non-issue".

Absolutely, the comments previously issued, that you quoted in your earlier posting, could be advocacy type discussions. The intense reaction this past few days should end up ensuring that the speech is carefully reviewed to avoid anything that appears to be "indoctrination". Makes perfect sense, and likely will be the outcome.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Uh, I watched a speech by Bush in 1991 back when I was in high school. I don't recall a whole lot of shrieking about brainwashing back then, just a few grumblings about how much it cost.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Uh, I watched a speech by Bush in 1991 back when I was in high school. I don't recall a whole lot of shrieking about brainwashing back then, just a few grumblings about how much it cost.
Of course not, because, because, because...that was different. He was just asking for support for war and tax cuts and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies