Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 AM

512 posts, read 861,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post
Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to words instead of a URL? I'd think something more appropriate like Chinese flag flies over White House would probably get more people's attention.
Thanks. I thought, once I accidentally put the url up there I couldn't change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post
This business with the Chinese flag didn't happen on Bush's watch. Obama is in office and the permit was approved by the Obama administration. Sorry, this one can't be laid in Bush's lap. The Iraq war, sure, that can be laid in his lap. That was (and still is) a useless fight and IMO it was over oil. I don't for one minute believe there were ever any weapons of mass destruction that had been discovered.

If there were, don't you think that after we've bombed the city to rubble that it would have been easy to find such weapons? To this date, ZERO have been found. All those American and Iraqi lives lost for oil. It's disgusting.
I respectfully differ on the matter of WMDs. I feel they were there, and that they were moved/hidden by border countries (Lybia?), but I also do believe this was only a backdrop reason to go to war. Once we joined OPEC, oil became a big global business.

It's a scary world now that we've gone global. Now, not only do we have to worry about our own country trying to screw us, now we have to fear the fact China has our WH by the cajones.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Probably because after all the money we borrowed to pi** away in Iraq, China now OWNS the White House, and most of the East Coast to boot.

There may have been a reason Bush ran the war off the books when he prepared the budget every year.

Speaking of Bush - I wonder what he will have to say about this? He's been in hiding long enough since January. America needs some answers.
Food for thought. But Bush wasn't part of this particular decision, and I don't think, at this point, he should be speaking about it. And remember, Bush wasn't the only one who signed on to this war. I'm certainly not defending him, but he wasn't the one who wrote the report about WMDs, and he didn't threaten any member of congress to vote for the war.

However, some day all of America will wonder at what point did the purchasing of US treasuries from ANY foreign country get out of hand. problem is, it'll be too late by then.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 AM

200 posts, read 131,443 times
Well communist china's flag flying over this country which soon enough will be communist as well. Makes perfect sense obama is just testing the people's reaction.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 AM

113 posts, read 87,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Probably because after all the money we borrowed to pi** away in Iraq, China now OWNS the White House, and most of the East Coast to boot.

There may have been a reason Bush ran the war off the books when he prepared the budget every year.

Speaking of Bush - I wonder what he will have to say about this? He's been in hiding long enough since January. America needs some answers.
It appears that the only defense you ever seem to offer is to hearken back to the prior administration.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypton View Post
It appears that the only defense you ever seem to offer is to hearken back to the prior administration.
Because that's all they've got. And it's getting so old it's stale.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well China does own us financially speaking. Guess they think it's time to stake their claim
Can't say "no" to China.

I do like how China describes itself as a "responsible country". I guess that's true on many fronts but not too many classified as "good" in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
So what if it does?

It's neither my piece of cloth, nor my building.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
The national flag of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) will be hoisted at the South Lawn of the White House in Washington on September 20, media reported Sunday.
Chinese associations in the United States had applied to hold a ceremony in front of the US President’s residence to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of PRC.
Chen Ronghua, chairman of Fujian Association of the United States, told reporters that their application was approved not only because of the sound Sino-US relations but also because China is a responsible country.
“Many Americans admire China due to the success of last year’s Beijing Olympics,” said Chen.
More than 1,000 people will attend the ceremony and the performances held after it, according to Zhao Luqun, who will direct the performances.
Zhao said the performances will demonstrate the friendship, magnanimous spirit and kindness of modern Chinese people.

While I don't agree with it, it is a free country, and they petitioned to do it. The White House is the peoples property, and if an American citizen who is of Chinese decent wants to celebrate his countries founding, I guess thats ok.

However, I want someone to go to China on July the 4th next year, and ask to display our flag on their property.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
mmmmm typical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies