Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Thank you for cementing my belief that many posters here tend to label posters based on their posts and not on their true character because their is no way you could accurately discern the character of a person based on internet posts. You crack me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I find this statement most bizarre. I stand behind my word no matter what the forum. I can understand someobody's true intent and character being hidden on a phone sex line or website where anonymity and fantasy is expected and preferred, but on a forum discussing real and important matters of the day? I would expect a degree of responsibility and integrity when responding to issues that affect real lives and the current state of this country. Unless one is a troll, why would someone pretend to back an issue or reject an issue if it is not their genuine stance?
Guess pommymommy knows better than Aristotle and his ilk. She should really write a book in which she dismisses the whole Aristotelian tradition in which ethos (credibility of character) is located in what arguments a person makes and how.

Oh well, Aristotle. You had a good run!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I find this statement most bizarre. I stand behind my word no matter what the forum. I can understand someobody's true intent and character being hidden on a phone sex line or website where anonymity and fantasy is expected and preferred, but on a forum discussing real and important matters of the day? I would expect a degree of responsibility and integrity when responding to issues that affect real lives and the current state of this country. Unless one is a troll, why would someone pretend to back an issue or reject an issue if it is not their genuine stance?
I find your reply bizarre. This is the internet. How can you possibly hear a spoken inflection in the type written word? You can't. Unless you speak to someone face to face, you are making assumptions based on typed text.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Guess pommymommy knows better than Aristotle and his ilk. She should really write a book in which she dismisses the whole Aristotelian tradition in which ethos (credibility of character) is located in what arguments a person makes and how.

Oh well, Aristotle. You had a good run!
Is that a personal attack? I don't care if it is. lol I have never met you so I will give you the benefit of a doubt.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
OMG! Really? Why would we allow any other country's flag to fly on any part of our capitol's property?

China's national flag to go up in White House on Sept 20 (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-07/13/content_8422505.htm - broken link)
Its funny how easily some people buy into and propagate anything that is spewed (in this case, from Chinese media), as long as it fits their whim.

Use your brain a little more than you do, people. Foreign flags do fly within White House premises on occasion (never over White House). And in this case, it isn't even the premises, much less over the White House.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 PM

554 posts, read 2,502,107 times
Maybe they can wave their flag here and they write off some of the trillions in debt we owe them?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Maybe they can wave their flag here and they write off some of the trillions in debt we owe them?
My husband and I have this joke that we will hear our doorbell ring one day only to find a Chinese family on our doorstep demanding that we give them "their house".

Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
See with normal people, it would end after this post ^^. However this will not be the case and they will ignore what you wrote, and continue to staple tea bags to their heads and sing the national anthem out their windows whilst adding another 6 pages to this thread.
And here we are, nearly 6 pages later.....

Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 PM

65 posts, read 143,088 times
I posted a few posts later, following the OP. I just read the comments s/he made and wasn't happy that the Chinese flag was being flown on the white house (as appeared to be the case based on the language of the OP).

I wasn't able to actually read the article. There's too much JS on that article page and it crashed my screen reader. For those of you that don't know what a screen reader is (as there may be a few of you), it's what us blind folks have to use in order to know what's written on a page.

Since then, there have been other posts with links to supporting information presented. Would someone please offer a text-based summary of what's taking place because my screen reader keeps crashing on all of these JS-laden YouTube-heavy pages. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm glad it's turned out that it was some kind of misunderstanding.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post
I posted a few posts later, following the OP. I just read the comments s/he made and wasn't happy that the Chinese flag was being flown on the white house (as appeared to be the case based on the language of the OP).

I wasn't able to actually read the article. There's too much JS on that article page and it crashed my screen reader. For those of you that don't know what a screen reader is (as there may be a few of you), it's what us blind folks have to use in order to know what's written on a page.

Since then, there have been other posts with links to supporting information presented. Would someone please offer a text-based summary of what's taking place because my screen reader keeps crashing on all of these JS-laden YouTube-heavy pages. Thanks.

Here's the original link with the text of the article following:
China's national flag to go up in White House on Sept 20 (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-07/13/content_8422505.htm - broken link)

article:
"The national flag of the People's Republic of China (PRC) will be hoisted at the South Lawn of the White House in Washington on September 20, media reported Sunday.

Chinese associations in the United States had applied to hold a ceremony in front of the US President’s residence to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of PRC. Chen Ronghua, chairman of Fujian Association of the United States, told reporters that their application was approved not only because of the sound Sino-US relations but also because China is a responsible country.
"Many Americans admire China due to the success of last year’s Beijing Olympics," said Chen.
More than 1,000 people will attend the ceremony and the performances held after it, according to Zhao Luqun, who will direct the performances.
Zhao said the performances will demonstrate the friendship, magnanimous spirit and kindness of modern Chinese people."

Old 09-05-2009, 12:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post

Believe me, there are quite a few who would still refuse to see the reality. Otherwise, this thread would have died several pages ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies