Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:33 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I understand the tax-exemption for churches -- it prevents favoritism towards one denomination on the part of the government imposing the tax -- but I don't agree with it. I would support no tax on properties which are church (any religion) owned but which serve the common good, but I don't like tax exemption for those properties which serve only the members of any religion. Nor do I support tax deductions for contributions for the support, maintenance and proselytizing of a church/religion. But that's me.
We could just try the European method of taxing all citizens to pay for churches, instead of churchgoers voluntarily doing so. Most churches run soup kitchens, homeless shelters, charities, etc., which is one reason why the tax exempt status has remained. Although there are some denominations that tend to abuse their tax exempt status (LDS).

Plus, as interpreted in the Constitution, taxing churches would be putting a barrier to the first amendment right of freedom of religion, and that Congress is barred from passing any legislation that would interfere with ones free will to congregate and practice said religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 PM

15 posts, read 56,954 times
Cycle, your post was a very obvious "copy and paste". If you'd give us the real source maybe we could have a more HONEST discussion.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:45 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldj40 View Post
Cycle, your post was a very obvious "copy and paste". If you'd give us the real source maybe we could have a more HONEST discussion.
I thought the same thing but the only hit I get for it on Google is this site.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldj40 View Post
Nonetheless, it still made a lot of sense. Why doesn't the mormon church dig down into its deep pockets to help the Utah taxpayers? what a bunch of freeloaders that church has.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Churches are business... until they stop collecting money then they should be taxed... they can leave a "donation box" but nobody should be sticking out their hands or baskets to collect money... otherwise it becomes a business (which it is already)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I believe in the George Carlin philosophy: if you want to get involved with politics, pay your admission cost.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I think the more important question is( I don't know if that what the op meant or not) is whether churches and I guess by extension all non profit organizations should be given tax exemptions at all. And the fact that the church owns a hotel, newspaper other businesses means to me its not acting much like a non profit organization.
This is a common misconception, but a misconception nonetheless. I don't know of any hotels owned by the church, but the Deseret News is an example of a for-profit company owned by the church. All of the church's for-profit companies pay taxes. The church has several business wings that exist solely to conduct business. Ever since the church started in Salt Lake City, it has always provided a service to the community that wasn't met before. LDS Hospital, and Beneficial Life insurance are examples of for-profit, tax-paying, companies that were started by the church because there was a demand not met in the community, and the church wanted to give back. Now that both of those demands have been met, LDS hospital is no longer owned by the LDS church, and Beneficial Life is shrinking in size. The City Creek Center is another project owned by the church because they think it will revitalize the area. Though it is owned by the church, it is being payed for with money generated from the church's for-profit arms. In other words, it is being payed for with business money, and it will only be a business in the end. They're their own businesses, with their own CEOs, employees, and decisions.

None of the church's businesses are tax-exempt. The only thing that is tax-exempt are the donations that we voluntarily give to the church, which are used to pay for things we and many others end up using and benefiting from, just like a charity organization. I don't think that status should be taken away from churches, because even though smaller churches have less to pay for, they often still have trouble to make ends meet.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I am for taxing not just the Church but ANY religious property that wants a say in politics.

If a Church, Temple or Mosque can stay out of politics, then they should be free to have to their tax exempt status. If they talk about politics or endorse whoever, then bye bye tax free exemption!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
The LDS gets away w/ a LOT of crap that is illegal in the rest of the country. Child "brides", anyone?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:05 PM

70 posts, read 187,078 times
I am not really sure what you mean by "copy and paste", I wrote this article myself and did the research, that is why I included the Salt Lake County Assessors website so that anyone can search the same thing for themselves. Is there something I am missing, the information about the church owning a publishing company and hotel came directly from the LDS website under the business tab. Check it out for yourself.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The Constitution makes no mention of churches being entitled to tax free status, only of Congress making no law regarding the establishment/free exercise of religion.

TAX THEM like any other income producing/property owning business.
Then agree that we have to do without all the money that the Churches pump into hospitals, shelters and basically 99% of the charities out there. When the Churches give their money, it goes to those that need the help. When the government takes it, it goes to the special projects that Congress wants to fund.

Churches aren't businesses. They don't have a huge profit sheet at the end of the year.

This is just another opportunity for religion bashers to try and take another shot at the Church. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies