Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
There are radicals in all walks of life. They are either afraid of something or power hungry. Rational people have no desire to obliterate anyone. We simply want to be spared the negativity often found in people like Jim Jones, Rev. Moon, and some of the other kooks.
Agree. I see shared similarities between the Islamic Fundamentalists and Evangelical Fundamentalists; they both want control, they both want to turn governments into theocracies, if able to get away with it they will kill those who oppose them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Someone PLEASE tell me what journalist Lisa Miller could possibly know about being Hindu other than what she reads ina book? Non-Hindu people haven't a clue what they are talking about and it is IRRESPONSIBLE for Newsweek to publish this kind of stupidity.

20yrsinBranson
So I suppose you're a Hindu scholar who would know all about it (living in Branson, Missouri, a.k.a. "The Live Music Show Capital of the World")?

And quoting the Rig Veda, the oldest (at least 3,000 years) & most revered of the Hindu scriptures, that's just not good enough for 'ya?: "Truth is One, but the sages speak of it by many names."

Or Ramakrishna, the Hindu mystic: "God has made different religions to suit different aspirations, times and countries...one can reach God if one follows any of the paths with wholehearted devotion."

One of my own favorites is by the French naturalist and explorer, Pierre Sonnerat: "The underlying mood of Hinduism is one of joyous acceptance of the universe."

Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Hinduism isn't even truly a religion per say but a philosophy. Hindus actually believe in Jesus Christ and believe he is another manifestation of God much like Buddha etc. This is why they don't try to convert anyone because it's pointless since they believe someone's path to the divine can take different paths. This is why anyone can walk into a Hindu temple and observe or even take part in any ceremony. This is why they don't damn anyone else because all religions are really a part of their belief system. There is a lot of confusion about Hinduism which isn't helped by movies like Indiana Jones and the Tempe of Doom. LOL

Christianity in it's pure form also embraces tolerance, kindness and forgiveness but isn't often viewed that way due to misinterpretation by fundamentalist Christians who interpret the Bible literally. If you study Christian scholars like Milton (Paradise Lost), they believe in the concept of faith and that true Christian principles involve faith and not forcing people against their will to convert or coercing people to accept certain beliefs. It's about studying and challenging one's beliefs. It also involves forgiveness and prayer for one's enemies and not damnation or judgement. Many activities that are seen as sacrareligious by fundamentalists today wouldn't be seen that way by many of the Christian scholars like Milton.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-08-2009 at 02:01 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times
I think the reason its on the steep decline is the loonies are kinda ruining it for everyone. They've really been stepping it up the last decade or two & showing their ignorance big time. And the fact is, those people who bark the loudest actually dont go to church that often or dont know much about the religion they are claiming to belong to. They're just posers basically & were probably socialized into it more than anything.

Its about time really because the US is one of the most religious countries in the world. Non religious is on the rise too at 15 percent. People arent afraid to say " F you, Im atheist, agnostic (or whatever) & proud of it. Now go worship your great cloud genie & leave me the hell alone."

Old 09-08-2009, 07:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Hinduism isn't even truly a religion per say but a philosophy. Hindus actually believe in Jesus Christ and believe he is another manifestation of God much like Buddha etc. This is why they don't try to convert anyone because it's pointless since they believe someone's path to the divine can take different paths.

Yes. It is truly a religion, though. Just more of a religion built into daily life.

Hindus have also historically been able to be a bit less hypocritical about this, as well. While there has been Hindu violence (much defensive, as noted in the Kashmir region - and some not, of course), they are the only great (large and old) civilization never to have invaded anyone.
Upon the creation of India and Pakistan (basically creation of Hindu and Muslim countries), Muslims were allowed to remain in India and even follow separate laws based on their religious beliefs. There are also many Christians in India - so many, in fact, that there is a whole state there that is considered 'Christian' - Kerala.
Buddhism also was started in India.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
OM JAI JAGADISH SHRI HARE!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Of course the article is not saying that Americans are literally turning Hindu, only that they're adopting many of the same beliefs (reincarnation, pantheism, religious tolerance, etc.). But to avoid confusion, it should also be noted that there is a "hindu" version of the "pentecostals", the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), a.k.a. "the Hare Krishnas".

This is a sect that was actually founded in the U.S. in the 60's, although they still incorporate alot of traditional Hindu imagery and Hindu references. But they also believe in heavy proselytizing, not unlike the christian evangelical or pentecostal movements. Proselytizing is not typical of Hinduism.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
I learned a lot from the little books I was given by the Hare Krishnas. They fed a bunch of hippies, and still feed people today. They were a lively group, and taught me to cook, but I never became a devotee. I did learn to see god in a manner very different from the former Christianity I had followed.

I began to comprehend the cycles of birth and death, our direct connection to the universe, and God energy within. There is an emphasis on belonging to god/nature, and not a separation. The conscience, and consciousness work together for self awareness made more sense to me than memorizing a lot of rules, and words.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM

952 posts, read 942,714 times
Quote:
I like a lot of things found in the Hindu religion. I never met a Hindu who threatened me with damnation. And I love cows.

I took advantage of the recent 'Cash for Clunkers' baliout. I didn't know whether to buy a Honda or a Hyundai......so I bought a Hindu! It'll pass anything on the road----except a cow.

Last edited by alphaluce; 09-08-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I learned a lot from the little books I was given by the Hare Krishnas. They fed a bunch of hippies, and still feed people today. They were a lively group, and taught me to cook, but I never became a devotee. I did learn to see god in a manner very different from the former Christianity I had followed.

I began to comprehend the cycles of birth and death, our direct connection to the universe, and God energy within. There is an emphasis on belonging to god/nature, and not a separation. The conscience, and consciousness work together for self awareness made more sense to me than memorizing a lot of rules, and words.
No doubt alot of folks have learned good things from Christianity as well. But like the majority of people, I'm just not so crazy about those who aggressively try to sell me their version of "the truth" (christian or otherwise). Besides, whether it's Christ or Krishna, what's the point, if it's still basically just exchanging one "my-way-or-the-highway" deity, for another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies