Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM

136 posts, read 107,727 times

Advertisements

Both speeches were fine. Stay in school, get an education, don't let peer pressure force you to go against your better judgment, etc.

I wish that President Lincoln would have given such a speech when I was in school, but we didn't have TVs then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Interesting - I didn't know there were hearings after Bush's speech.

I've never EVER heard lawmakers attempting to prevent the President of the United States from speaking to students though. Am I wrong or was this whole situation unprecedented? It was never called "uninvited" when the past 4 Presidents did it. Why was it so harshly criticized beforehand this time around? Was it due to something Bush said or did in his speech to students? Or was it the media that blew it out of proportion? Honest questions.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
In Bush's speech, he was in a classroom, and the children in attendance were included as props for overall effect.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
My parents were Democrats and I didn't hear word 1 about that speech when it was given at my school.
Exactly, no matter how juvenile whole masses of Republicans act (embarrassing their whole party) they'll find some footnote in history and crow about how Democrats did exactly the same thing.

Pathetic.

Where's the transcript of Bush's Speech?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My, how things have changed:
...but there was no outrage and lunacy prior to the speech. Obviously there was something that they found objectionable after he gave the speech. There is a big difference here and one would have to be really stupid not see this. I think it is worth looking at Bush's speech and comparing it to Obama's for political driven content. Maybe Bush was talking about enlisting in the military or something. I'm going to try to find the transcript.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:33 PM

VIDEO OF BUSH'S SPEECH:

On eve of 1992 campaign, Bush 41 pitches education plan in televised classroom speech - Daily Kos TV (beta)

Hahaha yeah, those kids are RAPT!!

"maybe you saw todays headlines..."
Um, George, 8 year old kids don't usually read national newspapers.

Last edited by brubaker; 09-08-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 02:37 PM

245 posts, read 447,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Exactly, no matter how juvenile whole masses of Republicans act (embarrassing their whole party) they'll find some footnote in history and crow about how Democrats did exactly the same thing.

I'm Pathetic.

Where's the transcript of Bush's Speech?
Touche - "Exactly, no matter how juvenile whole masses of [Democratic Sheep] act (embarrassing their whole party) they'll find some footnote in history and crow about how [Republicans] did exactly the same thing.".

Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyT View Post
Touche - "Exactly, no matter how juvenile whole masses of [Democratic Sheep] act (embarrassing their whole party) they'll find some footnote in history and crow about how [Republicans] did exactly the same thing.".
Whatever, watch the Bush Video and see if your keen wit can discern the difference....between a knee jerk protest (without even knowing what the speech was about)....and an informed anger over a staged event produced on the eve of a campaign purely for political gain.

These two 'speeches' are *not* the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies