Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the depression over?
Heck no. What are you dumb? 52 62.65%
Not really but it is gradually improving somewhat. 28 33.73%
Yes. It is over. We all have jobs now. 0 0%
Yes. It appears that things are back to normal although some are without jobs. 5 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times

Advertisements

As Gabby Hayes would say : "Not by a lonnnnggggshot, Barney!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,726 times
The economy is in a faster free fall than Michael Moore without a parachute.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
The economy is in a faster free fall than Michael Moore without a parachute.

Hopefully it bounces up just as fast as Michael Moore would too.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,845 times
Yep...all gone...wiped out by our Supreme Commander..isn't he wonderful

Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,680 times
I agree... this poll is useless.

You simply cannot measure a recession's end by the unemployment rate. Unemployment is a lagging indicator, and is likely to rise well into next year, even though the recession may indeed "technically" be over.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Treasury announcing millions of new foreclosures and nothing the government can do about it. No sale.

Good news is that my gold and silver is up.
What ever happened to those programs put in place to help homeowners and mainstreet? What ever happened to those programs put in place to buy up toxic assets?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Consumers aren't spending. We have a consumer-driven economy. Consumers are either unwilling or unable to incur more debt to continue spending. You do the math.
The Government's Effort Has Failed - The Market Ticker
They will begin to spend - sentiment is already edging upwards again.

"Economists expected sentiment to improve because of rising stock prices and a sense that the recession may be ending."

Consumer Sentiment Improves in Early September - FOXBusiness.com (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/finance/consumer-sentiment-improves-early-sept-umich/ - broken link)

Once the job cuts end (by spring) consumers will be a lot less worried about lossing their jobs and they will begin spending again - probably not to the same level they did before, but certainly a lot more than they are doing now. Right now they are saving (savings rates are up) so clearly there IS disposable income out there. People just need to be confident enough in the security of their own jobs to spend it - and as I said, that security will come once the job cuts have ended.

Ken

Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
LOL I have a friend who works in retail and she said she thinks things are on the verge of turning around because she's noticed men are buying underwear again.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL I have a friend who works in retail and she said she thinks things are on the verge of turning around because she's noticed men are buying underwear again.
Actually the "underware index" is pretty well known. I don't think there is a real consensus about how valid it is.

How your undies track the recession - MSN Money

Here's an article in the Wall Street Journal about it (and other odd "indexes"):

Beyond the Underwear Index: Four Other Odd Consumer Indicators - MarketBeat - WSJ

Ken

Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually the "underware index" is pretty well known. I don't think there is a real consensus about how valid it is.

How your undies track the recession - MSN Money

Here's an article in the Wall Street Journal about it (and other odd "indexes"):

Beyond the Underwear Index: Four Other Odd Consumer Indicators - MarketBeat - WSJ

Ken
Haha, I was unaware of the "underwear index" but it makes sense! I just bought new underwear last weekend for the first time in about a year. The economy really must be getting better!

Last edited by downtownnola; 09-11-2009 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies