Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My father used to say the above back in the 1950s/60s. It hasn't happened yet. When I think of how the world has changed since then, it's mind-boggling.
If we think about it, the basics of government haven't really changed that much compared to the world around it. In fact, I noticed this last night while watching some special on the attack on Pearl Harbor. Through the best communications of the day, it was a day before a lot of people even had a reasonably clear idea of what all took place. Today, our government officials speak and it is on this forum in a matter of minutes being discussed.

Ponder what the next 25 years may have in store for us!

Quote:
In re: this forum and civility, there have been several threads started here of late about coming together, stopping the arguing, liberals saying something positive about Bush, conservatives about Obama, etc. I think a lot of people are tired of the name calling. However, someone always comes along, even in a thread like this, and tries to derail the consensus. For example, post #19. I guess we just have to accept that some do not want more civil discourse.
There are those who draw a box and argue that anything outside that box is wrong, evil, yadda yadda, this is nothing new. There are those who truly seek better understanding, greater depth and nuance, and civil discussion. As you say, there will always be those who feel they must toss in some divisiveness for nothing more than being able to say neener neener. What I find more unusual than all of this however is the inability to just roll ones eyes and disregard this type of thing. There seems to be an almost human compulsion to respond to inane banter.

Quote:
I think another issue is that a lot of people on this forum have only started following politics recently.
For what is it worth, I think this is a good thing. Even if it is little more than rock throwing, it is at least engagement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
So true!.... (myself included - )

Yeah, speaking for myself, politics was (and still is, to some degree..) one of the weakest areas for knowledge and education. It's the main reason i've been hanging out in the P&OC for some time since 2006, to learn about this extensive and dynamic subject. (think history; domestic and forgein, social science, learning extensive vocabulary, ..etc.)Thanks to many posters bring up many subjects in which i have no idea about, it'll result in me going to the library to study and learn about a particular subject in politics. It's such a complicated topic in general to cover in one setting. I'll even venture to say one has to be morbidly dedicated to studying the arena of politics in all its' isms.

Man, oh man, what i'd get myself into?!
I never understood why so many cringe at the mere mention of the word, "politics". Yes it is a great deal of opinion and conjecture, but it is also important. It affects all of us, and once you get a basic idea of the players, it is a million times more interesting than just a football game. Alliances, back stabbing, scandals, profound human progress, intrigue, and most of all it is fun and it never ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
My father used to say the above back in the 1950s/60s. It hasn't happened yet.
Now there's a debate worthy statement if there ever was one.

I don't want to divert from this very interesting and worthwhile discussion, but I take exception to this and my perspective is one that remembers the 1950s and 60s. It is happening before our very eyes. And, while the recent economic collapse has revealed this iceberg's tip only recently, it has been growing since the Reagan years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies