Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times

Advertisements

UNFORTUNATELY, the media thinks that it's not news worthy when that black female is found dead or kidnapped because she lives in the hood. People sort of expect it to happen if she lives in da hood. Therefore, it's not as shocking as some upper middle class college white (or in this case the asian woman who came up missing and now found dead). Heck I never see the media report about a middle class black woman, let alone one who's upper middle class getting murdered. The media tends to stick to the stereotypical inner city black woman with 5 kids murdered by her baby daddy or by her crack seller.

Being a black male, I never could understand that until a news producer was quite candid about this very topic and said that when black women come up missing it's not news worthy or shocking to grant the attention--basically no one pays attention to it simply because if she's black she is a typical statistic by living in da hood. It's a topic or issue that makes one go hummmmmm? So who's lives are more valuable? It's obvious, don't you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 PM

192 posts, read 219,948 times
I feel the exact same way, that's why I am a Republican. The news is extremely liberally biased, liberals claim to care about minorities yet when one goes missing you don't hear a peep from the libs. That's how they repay their supporters.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-13-2009 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Thread isn't about Acorn, stay on topic.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:12 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
UNFORTUNATELY, the media thinks that it's not news worthy when that black female is found dead or kidnapped because she lives in the hood. People sort of expect it to happen if she lives in da hood. Therefore, it's not as shocking as some upper middle class college white (or in this case the asian woman who came up missing and now found dead). Heck I never see the media report about a middle class black woman, let alone one who's upper middle class getting murdered. The media tends to stick to the stereotypical inner city black woman with 5 kids murdered by her baby daddy or by her crack seller.

Being a black male, I never could understand that until a news producer was quite candid about this very topic and said that when black women come up missing it's not news worthy or shocking to grant the attention--basically no one pays attention to it simply because if she's black she is a typical statistic by living in da hood. It's a topic or issue that makes one go hummmmmm? So who's lives are more valuable? It's obvious, don't you agree?
I think you should take this issue up with the news media. I personally think that any person whose life was taken from them is a tragedy as all life is valuable regardless of skin color or socioeconomical background.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:26 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

Nothing I can add...the truth has been spoken.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:33 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,916,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Nothing I can add...the truth has been spoken.
I posted the following in another thread. People prefer to 'play ostrich' about this issue rather than admit the truth. It may be the 'media's fault' but the media responds to the 'public'.
Quote:
People don't want to admit that racism is still alive and well in the U.S. of A. in the year 2009. The color of the victim has a lot to do with the amount of news coverage he or she receives. I believe it was during the coverage of the Holloway case that one of the major television stations had a program on just this thing. It didn't change anything. Another program was done during the coverage of the young, Washington DC intern from California at the request of a missing black woman's family. This resulted in a short flurry of added coverage about her. A young, missing black girl may get coverage if she comes from an affluent family but is unlikely to get coverage if she is from a middle-class or lower family.

You don't like it but it's true.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
I feel the exact same way, that's why I am a Republican. The news is extremely liberally biased, liberals claim to care about minorities yet when one goes missing you don't hear a peep from the libs. That's how they repay their supporters.

And another way they repay their supporters is by giving out information to "pimps" on how to get young, underage, latino women into the country and force them into child prostitution. The democrat party is sick, they really are. They have managed to convince minorities that they care about them, but they don't.
And Fox news is covering this? It's all media. When are people going to realize that all media is now biased in one way or another? They have their own agendas that seem to come down to the almighty dollar and their ratings. We get Paris Hilton ad nauseum but anything important, unless it's imflammatory is left out.

To the OP. You are correct. I guess what happens to a black or minority woman isn't newsworthy. And that's pathetic.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post

And another way they repay their supporters is by giving out information to "pimps" on how to get young, underage, latino women into the country and force them into child prostitution. The democrat party is sick, they really are. They have managed to convince minorities that they care about them, but they don't.
I agree with you Johnny, and thanks for replying to my post. I will say I am neither a Democrat or Republican. Both parties certainly have their share of hypocracy. What's up with that Republican assembly member who was caught on video discussing how he's cheating on his wife with some hot woman? This is big news here in CA.

Yet these days, all a Republican politician has to say is that he or she is for family values, and people who are conservative lean and vote for that person thinking he or she is for family values, then he or she won't cheat on his or her spouse or make a mockery of their party's values. How sad.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
Here's one of many cases of a missing black woman, national media totally ignored:

» NEWS: MISSISSPPI COLLEGE STUDENT MISSING FOR A WEEK // 'CONCRETELOOP.COM' - QUALITY NOT QUANTITY

Last edited by dorado0359; 09-12-2009 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
LOL, Family Guy skewered this a couple years back when they had a scene where someone reported a young girl that got killed, and the media outlets all rushed to the scene. When they found out her last name was Garcia they all walked away mumbling disappointedly, and one of them was like, "that's not news."

Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
I agree with you totally and voiced quite nearly the same sentiment on a parallel thread here on CD.

Without hijacking your fine thread, another point that should be made is the problem with young black males killing each other in record numbers. Nobody seems to mind or care. If it were young, white males a cry would go up that you could hear on the other side of the moon. No expense would be spared to research and attempt to rectify the problem but since "they" are young and black and poor and living in the projects, nobody seems to really even notice, let alone care.

Check out MyDeathSpace.com just to get an idea of the problem.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies