Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Agreed, and I would add to your point that despite their compassion for letting in these masses and supposed sophistication they haven't done what matters most. Plugging them into society and the economy. If Ahmed has a job and interacts with non-Muslims then he won't have time to listen to some hate-preaching Imam. Of course it's impossible to give everyone jobs but it just goes to show how short-sighted the Europeans were.

And someone posted before (it may have been you) that Europe is like a ***** whom everyone wants to take advantage of but no one respects.

Have you read anything by Mark Steyn?
The white Europeans (and Americans) do need to ---- more and have more babies but no one is willing to keep up their materialistic lifestyles anymore, so it will not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
This is truly becoming pathetic. America been coming apart since Day 1 back in the late 15th century.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,919,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes....Steyn can be an interesting read. Like Buchanan, he's a bit 'sassy' and sarcastic...and his message CAN be a bit depressing...but he's PROBABLY telling something much closer to the truth than many others are.

I wouldn't want to spend a week reading Steyn's work..and he can be pessimistic...but he's usually logically correct, IMO.

(You may have heard me ALSO say, on the forum, that while 'multiculturalism', in my opinion, WILL produce a more 'fractured', divided, 'tribally-oriented', ethnically-hostile society...and while this will undoubtedly produce a society less free, less united, and more abrasive than we've been used to; the fact is, that neither YOU, nor I, nor anyone on this forum will BE HERE in 100 years....and for those who ARE (our great-grandchildren)....the society they inherit will simply be taken for granted. They'll 'never miss what they've never had'. And looking back, they MAY not envy us one BIT...who knows?

It's good to remember that, once in awhile, I think)....

Thanks for listening.
He is a bit dark that's agreed but I don't think the excuse of us not being around in 100 years should matter. This is all large-scale issues anyways, and only affect our lives to a certain extent. No matter the state of the country we still make the most of our lives...but this doesn't mean we shouldn't care about what's going on in the big picture.

Besides, I think multiculturalism will ruin many countries or disappear way before 2109. 2050 is far enough out that we will either be hopelessly divided and hostile or quite the opposite (in my opinion). And I'll be 62, not any older than many posters on here. What's being talked about I believe is in my future so it's close to heart.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
He is a bit dark that's agreed but I don't think the excuse of us not being around in 100 years should matter. This is all large-scale issues anyways, and only affect our lives to a certain extent. No matter the state of the country we still make the most of our lives...but this doesn't mean we shouldn't care about what's going on in the big picture.

Besides, I think multiculturalism will ruin many countries or disappear way before 2109. 2050 is far enough out that we will either be hopelessly divided and hostile or quite the opposite (in my opinion). And I'll be 62, not any older than many posters on here. What's being talked about I believe is in my future so it's close to heart.
I'll certainly agree that everything we've seen in the past...MOST of what we see in the present....plus anyone with ANY grasp at all of human nature and common sense....makes a VERY strong case that multiculturalism is simply unsustainable...(if it's even achieved at ALL); that cultures, traditionally at least highly WARY of each other over the centuries, (if not downright hostile), will now, in the coming decades, simply "come together" in the West, (after all, they can't very well 'come together' elsewhere), will join together in harmony, and voluntarily agree to "like, honor, and respect" each other...put their differences aside....and just "love one another" based on nothing more than their own, inherent 'goodness'. Fat chance of THAT happening, I'm afraid. If cultures "love each other" so much, why don't they do it BEFORE they come here? And if multiculturalism is great and 'good', why must it be "taught"?

The entire notion, I'm afraid, is wishful nonsense, worthy of a group of starry-eyed 14-year olds....and were its implications not so potentially devastating to our society's freedoms, it MIGHT even be laughable. Unfortunately, by the time we understand just what 'multiculturalism' REALLY entails, (hint: it's not 'trying out new recipes'....and it's not 'listening to ethnic music' ), the future MIGHT be about as "funny as a plane crash"...so therefore, even though it's a SILLY idea, it's pretty hard to laugh.

Multiculturalism is like a police-supervised "truce" among competing street gangs. The 'peace' resulting from such a 'gentleman's agreement' will last just about as long as ALL parties involved continue to act as 'gentlemen'..AND as long as the "cops" continue to monitor the situation. Let somebody 'screw up', and the agreement is off, and the 'turf wars' resume. In the case of 'multiculturalism' in society, who are 'the cops'? Who 'makes' these agreements that we all agree to live by, and who makes sure that 'Group A' leaves 'Group B' alone, and that 'Group C' doesn't have some advantage over 'Group D'? Which group get the best jobs? Which group gets the best education? Which group get 'first crack' at medical care? Which group PAYS for all this? And what if they get TIRED of paying?

It would be WORSE than Bosnia...THEY only had to deal with 3 or 4 distinct 'cultures'..we have dozens. We have FAR more 'ethnic awareness' today than in the past, despite massive gains in civil rights. Today, the children and grandchildren of "Americans" are in the process of becoming 'hyphenated Americans'. Project THAT process out over the next few decades, and it might not look 'pretty'.

The US will always be here, I'm convinced. What will be its quality of life? How will our traditional freedoms figure into that future? How will we fare among the other nations of the world (most of them decidedly UN-multicultural)? How will Americans at that time regard each other? I wouldn't even want to guess.

Last edited by macmeal; 09-17-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM

79 posts, read 158,043 times
Hmm, it seems to work pretty well in New York

Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,919,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstn421 View Post
It seems to work ok in cities and city-states around the world like Singapore but not a civilization or nation. How has it worked in LA?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstn421 View Post
Perhaps so. And if the rest of the world (and indeed, if the rest of the nation) were all like New York, it would probably work there, too.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
It seems to work ok in cities and city-states around the world like Singapore but not a civilization or nation. How has it worked in LA?
Multiculturalism "works" in Singapore? To a degree, yes....but, as you say, it's only a tiny 'city-state', not a nation with a large back-country. ALSO the "harmony" one sees in Singapore is 'encouraged' by a pretty heavy-handed overlay of rather draconian laws and restrictive infringements on what "we" (Americans) would consider the 'basic freedoms' of a people. It's highly doubtful that MOST Americans would be willing to live under the watchful eye of some 'Big Brother' governmental oversight into all facets of life, for the dubious reward of being able to 'live in peace' with each other.

You could say that multiculturalism "works" in jail, too. Prisoners of all cultures do manage to "co-exist" there, RELATIVELY free of too much overt violence, MOST of the time....encouraged, of course, by an ever-vigilant staff of prison guards, who "help" things move along smoothly. Most of us, however, given the choice, would NOT opt to live under the restrictive behavioral codes of a jail; so therefore whether true, voluntary multiculturalism can exist OUTSIDE of a prison....or in a "freer" society than that of Singapore....remains unanswered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies