Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

I saw this a few months back. The guy HAS to be kidding, right? I hope he is just trying to poke fun at the right for banning gay marriage. At least, I hope that's what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Source: Movement under way in California to ban divorce - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091130/ap_on_re_us/us_banning_divorce;_ylt=Aq.2_DDc6lY0NNCAkRQ2sWRzfN dF - broken link)

Very funny! Good way to take a jab at traditional man-woman marriages.

But to strengthen marriages, they ought to make it harder for people to get married so that only the ones who are truly in it to make it to the end do it. How they could go about testing who is qualified for marriage is another issue.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Another major waste of resources.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Another major waste of resources.
Not to those of us who think he's making a good point.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I saw this a few months back. The guy HAS to be kidding, right? I hope he is just trying to poke fun at the right for banning gay marriage. At least, I hope that's what it is.
Exactly the case.

Before anyone gets their bowels in an uproar, read this excerpt from the Yahoo story:

The effort is meant to be a satirical statement after California voters outlawed gay marriage in 2008, largely on the argument that a ban is needed to protect the sanctity of traditional marriage. If that's the case, then Marcotte reasons voters should have no problem banning divorce. "Since California has decided to protect traditional marriage, I think it would be hypocritical of us not to sacrifice some of our own rights to protect traditional marriage even more," the 38-year-old married father of two said.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly the case.

Before anyone gets their bowels in an uproar, read this excerpt from the Yahoo story:

The effort is meant to be a satirical statement after California voters outlawed gay marriage in 2008, largely on the argument that a ban is needed to protect the sanctity of traditional marriage. If that's the case, then Marcotte reasons voters should have no problem banning divorce. "Since California has decided to protect traditional marriage, I think it would be hypocritical of us not to sacrifice some of our own rights to protect traditional marriage even more," the 38-year-old married father of two said.

How much you want to bet that the people who voted against gay marriage are probably divorced themselves? They should ban divorced in California. I agree.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly the case.

I like the statement it makes, but I don't know if it is the best way to go about it.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Very funny! Good way to take a jab at traditional man-woman marriages.

But to strengthen marriages, they ought to make it harder for people to get married so that only the ones who are truly in it to make it to the end do it. How they could go about testing who is qualified for marriage is another issue.
agree. getting a marriage license should be much harder. I think it's way to easy for people to get married, and equally too easy for people to get annulments and divorces. there should be a mandatory marriage counseling session for all perspective couples. think about it, many plastic surgeons ask patients questions before taking them on to screen against psychological issues like BDD. it should be a lot harder to walk into a (what's supposed to be) a lifelong commitment like marriage vs. getting another boob job

but yeah, I sure hope the idiots using the "sanctity of marriage" card aren't divorced themselves

Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
To paraphrase what Peter O'toole said in some movie, "But those vows were invented when people only lived 30 years."

Old 12-01-2009, 07:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Not to those of us who think he's making a good point.
I'm guessing there are other ways to "make a point" besides this. I'm not a fan of using THE SYSTEM in ways it was not intended to be used. Joke laws, for example. Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean we SHOULD and if more people understood that the world would be a better place. We lose when we abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies