Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
As a minority, I think its terrible that our first minority President is someone with such a radical background and politics and such an inability to understand, identify with, or communicate with mainstream America. I am embarassed by people like Barack and Michelle Obama, Jeremiah Wright, Henry Louis Gates, Sonia Sotomayor, Kanye West/Beyonce, and the illegal immigrant protestors who waved Mexican and Central American flags on our soil. I really wished our first minority president had been someone like Michael Steele, Bobby Jindal or Colin Powell.

Obama's election is fostering more and more divisions in our country and emboldens and "empowers" racist and separatist people with a chip on their shoulder like Gates and Kanye. Kanye West is a racist who believes Beyonce shoulda won even though she has no talent, because they despise country music and the culture it represents, he played that same stunt when he stormed off the stage when he lost to Gretchen Wilson a couple years back. He was also the one who ran his mouth about Bush not caring about black people. Now I was born in New Orleans and and proud of that city and the South but honestly I think the media attention to the poor of New Orleans was disproportionate compared to the other victims in the rural coastal towns in Louisiana and Mississippi who actually helped one another out and did not loot and kill one another. The rest of the coast has been overshadowed, and most of the New Orleans area was overlooked by the media in comparison to the Lower 9th Ward. Runs counter to Kanye's statements.

I am not Asian American or Chinese American. I am an unhyphenated American of Chinese ancestry, that is how I see myself. People complain about how after 9-11 people blamed American Muslims of sympathizing with the terrorists. Now I know msot did not but that is hard to convince people when for years they have been all about Islamic and ethnic pride and openly resisting assimilation. I think people like Sonia Sotomayor, Wrigt, etc do a disserve to those African Americans, Hispanic Americans and other minorities who are Americans first and do not put our racial community or countries of origin before America.

I identify with people who share my culture, outlook, religion and values regardless of their skin color. People like Kanye, Michelle, Wright and Gates should stop having a chip on their shoulder and thinking that race is the thing that matters most. Gates provoked the confrontation with the officer, anyone of any race who behaved in that fashion would have been arrested. He sees himself as a prominent and distinguihsed scholar, well act like one Dr. Gates! In fact many people in the ghetto behave more intelligently when faced with the police.

I think as a minority if we want to be accepted as equals and as part of mainstream American adn not be distrusted we need to ACT LIKE IT. We should act like we are just Americans and not emphasize race. I spent the summer down South and the vast majority of white people I have encountered and talked to really want to move on and say it is blacks and others who want to foster divisions, birng up the past, ask for special treatment, they are the ones who racialized the Obama election and some of what the media reported as racist acts (while they indeed are wrong and should be punished) have actually been provoked by some individuals' racism on their own part and the arrogance they displayed regarding how "their people are in charge now". Gates probably hates being called black and insists on African American. Is he from Africa? Does he speak any African languages? In my grad school the day Obama was inaugurated an African American girl came in a full tribal African costume saying she wants to celebrate that day. It was a mix of elements from all over Africa and people actually from specific African countries found it laughable and ignorant.

I also hate it when SOME legal Hispanic and Asian American go march and show support for illegal immigrants. Illegal immigration benefits the Third World countires and the ethnic communities but hurts our country as a whole. I also do not like how American Muslims are so activist about hating Israel and asking for special treatment that other groups don't get.

I think ALL of us truly need to put race and ethnicity behind us and realize that we are all Americans before we're anything else.

Looks like someone is trying to pull the "Model Minority" race card!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 PM

14 posts, read 31,305 times
Disagreeing with Obama's policies doesn't make you a racist.
I disagree with Obama and I'm black.

If your concerns are with policy, you are not a racist.
If your concerns are with how the Obama administration is running the executive branch, you are not a racist.
If you don't like Obama personally, that doesn't make you a racist

But

If you have a problem with a black man as the leader of the free world because black people in positions of power scare you, make you feel like the natural order has been disrupted?

Then yeah, that's racism.

If you are coming at all things Obama from a place of fear that you can't describe; it's just a feeling that this man is evil, that's probably racism or some other -ism, mania, or phobia that is not based in rational thought.

Try this

Change the name from Barack Obama to Barry O'Malley, make him and his family white and put them in the White House. If that one thing eases any tensions you have (or if that change brings about tensions), you might want to consider a little soul searching.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaAwakened View Post

If your concerns are with how the Obama administration is running the executive branch, you are not a racist.

But

If you have a problem with a black man as the leader of the free world because black people in positions of power scare you, make you feel like the natural order has been disrupted?

If you are coming at all things Obama from a place of fear that you can't describe; it's just a feeling that this man is evil, that's probably racism or some other -ism, mania, or phobia that is not based in rational thought.

Try this

Change the name from Barack Obama to Barry O'Malley, make him and his family white and put them in the White House. If that one thing eases any tensions you have (or if that change brings about tensions), you might want to consider a little soul searching.
no matter what you call him by name still won't change who he is. He's not "evil" in the very sense of the word, he has radical views on what the USA needs to be and there are a real lot of people who don't like it. That's plain and simple, he could be green for all most people care, it's his policies and views not anything else.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:

But

Try this

VERY nicely stated. I like this....hits on a lot of points without belaboring them.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
As a minority, I think its terrible that our first minority President is someone with such a radical background and politics and such an inability to understand, identify with, or communicate with mainstream America.
It's only going to get worse unfortunately. We know too much about Obama and his ties to radicals, along with his own radical past. If he (and his elected Congress) were more centrist, this would be a much easier 4 years to endure.

Quote:
Kanye West is a racist who believes Beyonce shoulda won even though she has no talent, because they despise country music and the culture it represents, he played that same stunt when he stormed off the stage when he lost to Gretchen Wilson a couple years back.
Yea, how many teenage delinquents do you know who listen to Toby Keith? Not many.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Yea, how many teenage delinquents do you know who listen to Toby Keith? Not many.
And you have data to support this assertion? I'd love to see it.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Yeah, Toby Keith, a proud democrat who endorsed Obama really helps you make a point much less shooting in the dark tactics that you folks consider your lifeline and knowing you can never back it up.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Beyoncé?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:

But

Try this

And I would still hate him. Ironically, the governor of Maryland is named O'Malley and I hate and fear him even more. He is even more pro-abortion, anti-capital punishment, anti-gun compared to the President.

Most of the fear of Obama was not because he was black, but because of his suspicious past, like his associations with Wright, Gates, and Farrakhan and Ayers, and his suspected Muslim past. If it was a black man with a name like Michael Steele there would have been no controversy. There would not have been this kind of fear and cultural alienation about him. Obama throughout his life actively sought to seek out his "blackness" and chose to attend Wright's church in the South Side vs. pursue the American Dream and live in the suburbs or a small town like the Dream is. He chose to marry a radical activist like Michelle.

About Wright, I don't see how the church demonination can still accept him and deal with him after the things he has said and the things he has preached.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:52 AM

136 posts, read 107,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Sonia Sotomayor is a distinguished Puerto Rican woman who makes most of us proud.
No, she is a "wise Latina woman" lest you forget. And speak for yourself. She doesn't make me proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies