Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,054 times

Advertisements

Now, I know there are some hardcore right-leaners on here, a lot of whom I respect despite our differences...but even in the heat of their worst anger at the President, I don't think ANY of them formed their mouths (or used their keyboards LOL) to spout such plainly 'counter to my public face' unbelievably hot and steaming BS as Mr Williams allegedly uttered in that quote...

When I said I respect them, I meant it---that's not lip service, and I have let them know I respect them, differences be damned... and I'm sure that there are a lot of good folks in the Tea Party movement as well---I just sense that, and I can't and won't discount their voices...

But this guy is the alleged leader, or one of the leaders, of that group, and he pops off like that on a blog, and then thinks no one's gonna call him on it?

This brings up a continuing backstory in this ongoing 'debate'---which is, it's wrong when we who support Mr Obama call names and sling invective at the right, just as it's wrong for them to sling it at us...doesn't matter if 'we' did it to Mr Bush, and it's wrong for 'us' to go tit-for-tat in return...it holds up the legitimate debate, and makes us all look kinda foolish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
What people don't understand is that the March on Washington had nothing to do with Birthers, TEA Party people, 9/12's, Republicans, Democrats or Lyndon Larouche. This is not a centrally organized effort, at least last Saturday wasn't. We who were there...at least most of the people I saw and / or spoke with, were just ordinary Americans..some with their baby's in strollers, some young, some old, mostly white..yes, but some black and hispanic too. So to try and identify us with a "leader" is disingenuous. So if we are going to have a conversation, why don't we have an honest conversation. We marched for all Americans..yes including you. Because I hate to break this to you, but whatever Obama puts into place someday will be in place when the Republicans take over again. Now..do you really want to give the Republicans all this power that Obama is trying to amass?? Think about it...

If 'all this power Obama is trying to amass' is only frightening if in Republican hands then...I guess we could just keep it out of Republican hands.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Can someone please explain to the recent over-usage of the word "thug" in regards to union supporters and social welfare supporters? Both generally seem the complete opposite of what I understand to be "thug". Do I just not know what "thug" means?
"thug" and "goon" are code for "scary black people" but their definitions have been expanded to include anyone who is supports any of Obama's ideas or speaks out in favor of something that isn't generally accepted by the opposition.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
Quote:
<snip>What people don't understand is that the March on Washington had nothing to do with Birthers,
What??? How can you say that when in some of the photos posted say "Go Back to Kenya Obama", "Obama for President of Kenya", "Where's the Birth Certificate"? Clearly you are seeing subjectively.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
If 'all this power Obama is trying to amass' is only frightening if in Republican hands then...I guess we could just keep it out of Republican hands.
I didn't say that...it is dangerous to allow the Federal Govt to over-reach it's power as granted to them in the Constitution....and by the way..good luck with that "crushing the Republican thing you are working on"...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:16 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
What??? How can you say that when in some of the photos posted say "Go Back to Kenya Obama", "Obama for President of Kenya", "Where's the Birth Certificate"? Clearly you are seeing subjectively.
That was not the "majority" of what I saw there. In fact..I saw nothing about Kenya. They seem to like the "pelosino" which was a pic of her highness with a pinichio nose...One guy was shouting something about birth certificate..but the rest of use just mumbled and ignored him...oh Kiss My Astroturf was very popular too...you know in response to Pelosi's insulting remarks. But I guess you are OK with the Govt trying to demean your fellow citizens. As long as they are liberals..they can do no wrong I suppose...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,963 times
I never said you said it. Still, seems better than throwing the baby out with the bath water.
'The government screwed us a few times so now I refuse to pay taxes to fund streets, schools, health care, anything. I'll starve the beast!'
That type of thing.

Also, as I'm sure you know, I didn't say 'crush republicans thingies', I said, or meant to say, if you are a Democratic Spokesperson you shouldn't be giggling as your opponent hammers you. You should be stomping his ideology flat and then giggling.

Thanks for playing though!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,537 times
Birchers and LaRouche have taken over the conservative party. I agree we'd be wrong to ignore it. Push back, and call out.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
Quote:
What people don't understand is that the March on Washington had nothing to do with Birthers, TEA Party people, 9/12's, Republicans, Democrats or Lyndon Larouche. This is not a centrally organized effort, at least last Saturday wasn't. We who were there...at least most of the people I saw and / or spoke with, were just ordinary Americans..some with their baby's in strollers, some young, some old, mostly white..yes, but some black and hispanic too. So to try and identify us with a "leader" is disingenuous. So if we are going to have a conversation, why don't we have an honest conversation. We marched for all Americans..yes including you. Because I hate to break this to you, but whatever Obama puts into place someday will be in place when the Republicans take over again. Now..do you really want to give the Republicans all this power that Obama is trying to amass?? Think about it...
wdavid, where was the outrage when former Pres. Bush was amassing all this power with the Patriot Act? I don't mean you in particular, I am refering to this movement in general terms.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I dont know about that. I nearly died laughing the first time I saw a guy with nipple clips and a feather boa.

Those were the days, my friend. Too bad they ended so soon and the warmongers regained control.
Once upon a time, there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours,
Think of all the great things we would do

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way

. . .

Through the door, there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts, the dreams are still the same

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies