Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, indeed, I am free to disagree. And to point out that insults aren't constructive and only serve to falsely support the poster's high opinion of herself or himself.

Oklahomans, as we all know, encompass a wide range of educational accomplishment, as do the residents of every other state. Oklahomans embrace a wide range of political perspectives, as do the residents of every other state. Oklahoma has many beautiful scenic vistas as well as a number of eyesores, as does every other state in the union.
Really?? I must have missed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I will point out one more thing, there are many ways to be liberal, the gay agenda might be your thing, but it isn't everyones. To teach gay acceptance would open up a can of worms, do you want the schools to teach kids how to use birth control regardless of how parents might feel about this? What about religion, should the school teach kids about God, Budda, or whatever? Of course not, these are all social and moral issues that should be handled at home.

Nita

I think teaching acceptance of all people is something that all parents should strive for when raising their children. Teaching kids bc is WAY different than teaching respect for fellow human beings. Same with religion. Religion is a choice, being gay is not.

Can someone please tell me what the gay agenda is? I keep hearing it but I am not quite sure what it is and why some are very afraid.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM

141 posts, read 352,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
George Washington was the first president UNDER the U.S. Constitution. Few, if any Americans remember who the FIRST genuine president of the United States of America was. Some claim John Hanson. But I hear that is now in dispute.

Oy!
Historians have been debating the matter for at least three years now if not longer. The first widely noted mention of Hanson as the first true U.S. President was made in a biography written about him in 1932 by journalist Seymour Wemyss Smith.

Here's an excerpt from the August 14, 2006 print edition of U.S. News & World Report (available online):
"The debate, though, isn't so much about Washington as about how one defines the United States of America. Historians widely agree that our country was formed by the Constitution, drafted in 1787. But the first alliance of the 13 Colonies occurred years earlier, in 1781, under the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union. It's the latter half of that title that has some historians convinced that this contract, while ultimately a failure, created the country and, therefore, the American presidency.
Indeed, the document officially names this new collective "The United States of America." And when the Articles failed, the writers of the Constitution used them as a starting point when they expressed their desire "to form a more perfect union.""

Washington was elected to the office unopposed as were his 10 predecessors making him the eleventh. Washington, however, was the man who established the executive and judicial branches of government under the Constitution we have today.
Add to all of this the start of the Continental Congress in 1774 under the then leadership of another man, and it becomes possible to debate the idea that Peyton Randolph was the first President, though under the United Colonies of America which was a confederation without a constitution yet. He served from Sept. 5, 1774-Oct. 22, 1774 and again from May 29 to May 24, 1775.

Here is a good online resource detailing some of the history of all of this:
President Who Forgotten Founders by stan Klos

I'll bet 99% of all American adults don't know half of this (their own history mind you). Then they want to gasp in horror when an adolescent doesn't know who Washington was. I don't expect most folks to know every last excruciating detail of our roots as a nation but Geez man....a little passion for setting some guiding examples.....Please!

Last edited by Tony Of New York; 09-18-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I will point out one more thing, there are many ways to be liberal, the gay agenda might be your thing, but it isn't everyones. To teach gay acceptance would open up a can of worms, do you want the schools to teach kids how to use birth control regardless of how parents might feel about this? What about religion, should the school teach kids about God, Budda, or whatever? Of course not, these are all social and moral issues that should be handled at home.
Why the insistence that such things should only be handled at home? I think all of these things should be taught at school. A comparative religions class would certainly benefit society as a whole what with people not having the slightest clue what the differences are between the main religions. That alone might bring peace to this world! Why let poorly educated parents pass on their ignorance when a school could educate without bias? I find it extremely offensive that parents insist their children believe the same religion they do.

Birth control is another thing that's good to know even if the parents are opposed to their children using it in adolescence and early adulthood. Why force such topics into the taboo territory? We all know that taboos have a certain undeniable effect on our psyches, they become things we MUST find out about. Why not empower instead of protect?

If social and moral issues are to be handled at home, why on Earth is our country so screwed up? We are rude, insensitive, stupid, intolerant, fearful, defensive, etc. I blame our predicament on a LACK of education rather than any exposure to taboo subjects.

Ignoring age appropriateness for the sake of this argument, the fact that parents knowingly SUPPORT keeping their children in the dark is a sad testament to our educational system. Teach what needs to be known at the right age and watch our society blossom as never before.

Again, why not empower our children with information instead of protecting them with ignorance?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:32 PM

283 posts, read 496,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have visited. Actually I drove through as fast I could on crappy roads that I had to pay the toll to drive on along the way. Why would I want to live there?? It does not take an expert to know what crap smells like.
Sounds like you don't have to go far to smell CRAP!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have visited. Actually I drove through as fast I could on crappy roads that I had to pay the toll to drive on along the way. Why would I want to live there?? It does not take an expert to know what crap smells like.
The roads are not kept up well because it is a poor state- the same reason they collect tolls on them.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I think teaching acceptance of all people is something that all parents should strive for when raising their children. Teaching kids bc is WAY different than teaching respect for fellow human beings. Same with religion. Religion is a choice, being gay is not.

Can someone please tell me what the gay agenda is? I keep hearing it but I am not quite sure what it is and why some are very afraid.
Don't have to tell me what gay is, I have a gay child..

Thank you!!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REIRehabber View Post
Sounds like you don't have to go far to smell CRAP!
Just across the line.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 PM

25 posts, read 62,390 times
Well I must say this...my son and the rest of his classmates scored the ever impressive 1500 on those tests they have to take. They go to Sequoyah Elementary in Claremore, Ok. I have to say that such a small school as that does a great job in academics and I think if more schools were like that all schools would be better. On the other hand, we as parents, do participate a lot and I think that is an even bigger factor.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Only one in four Oklahoma public
high school students can name the first President of
the United States, according to a survey released today.

The survey was commissioned by the Oklahoma Council
of Public Affairs in observance of Constitution Day on Thursday.

75 Percent of Oklahoma Students Can't Name the First President - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Wow simply amazing...
That is caused by progressive dumbing down, and you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies