Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why would you think an 1890 CSA would be any different than an 1860 CSA? It wouldnt be anything like the real 1890 South was. Possibly the poor whites would have risen up, if the N and S ruling classes had collaborated to develop manufacturing in the S sooner... some classes of slaves would have been freed, maybe sent off on trains west to get out of the picture... slavery would never have ended though, if the S had held onto its money -- agriculture would have continued, just somewhere else, other countries or regions or in other crops.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this, I think that realistically in a world where Reconstruction never happened that race relations would be at least a little warmer because it would be a world without that kind of culture shock. While manufacturing would pick up much more in Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, etc. in that world rather than this one, increasing work and pay conditions, the southwest's (especially New Mexico and Arizona) future would be uncertain, would it be US or CS, the southern half of NM/AZ in the Civil War was Confederate, not to mention what would happen with Mexico in such a situation.

But I'm also not saying slavery wasn't a massive part to the war, did you read what I wrote earlier "a gallon of gas to a burning fire".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Well, the south has 1 in three Americans, so...they weigh heavily on the statistics. and yes, pun intended.

Btw, I don't give an ounce of credence to Jefferson Davis, who should have been hanged for his crimes against this country. So quote him all you want.
Davis was esteemed in politics in his time, he had much more weight in the grand scheme of things than you ever will, it's because of Jefferson Davis that I'm sitting south of the Gila River right now. And no, it wasn't treason, we have disproved that assertion countless times.

Quote:
There is more culture on a single street in New Haven then in all of Georgia.

Need you be reminded of the 1960s?
It really depends on what you call "culture", I find Hank Williams and Jerry Reed much more "cultural" than anything in the northeast, save Eddie Rabbitt of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You seem to be extraordinarily hung up on California. It's one state. Supposing California is the bottom-dwelling state, it's neighbors are most of the Southern states. Merely by stating that California is bad doesn't mean the Southern states are good.

Just because there is good food out there doesn't mean you have to be a fat pig and eat it.

As far as slaves go, that's not what I was referring to when I said "quick to deny civil rights".
Check your geography, the only thing "southern" in the general region of California, is Oildale, California. Arizona isn't a southern state, nor any other state around it. You may see California as the Godly beacon on the hill, but many of us feel California is a joke, the state of the IOU. At least the south has awesome food, not a bunch of looks obsessed movie stars with eating disorders. You have the other extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Entertaining fiction.
And I have yet to see you prove it otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Nice rebuttal. Too bad you couldn't follow up with a little more substance. The truth hurts, huh?
You could start with the United States proscription on importing slaves in 1807.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You need a reading comprehension lesson.
I apologize on insinuating that your in California, but I wouldn't call Dallas "Purgatory", I've been there and I loved it, I'll be going back soon too.

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Ahh....so you finally concede that your original point is bullschit? I commend you for owning up to your flawed statements that "slavery was non-existent in the north after 1780." Because it was not factually accurate, at all.
three of the 14 northern states. I conceded nothing. My god, you people are so full of yourselves It would be funny if it wasn't borderline sociopathic.

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
There is more culture on a single street in New Haven then in all of Georgia.
Can you say Savannah, to name one of many GA places.
One of the most beautiful cities in the world

Are you just TRYING to be funny
New Haven CT is okay, but it has as much culture as
Smithville, NJ I loved Mystic, CT though

Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I apologize on insinuating that your in California, but I wouldn't call Dallas "Purgatory", I've been there and I loved it, I'll be going back soon too.

I don't live in California. I have nothing to do with California. Everything I said about California was criticizing the other poster for using it as her example.

Hence, you need a reading comprehension lesson.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Can you say Savannah, to name one of many GA places.
One of the most beautiful cities in the world

Are you just TRYING to be funny
New Haven CT is okay, but it has as much culture as
Smithville, NJ I loved Mystic, CT though
Your opinion versus mine. So the point is moot.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Your opinion versus mine. So the point is moot.
If that's how it's going to be I rendered all of your points moot several times over. But that's just going by your logic.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this, I think that realistically in a world where Reconstruction never happened that race relations would be at least a little warmer because it would be a world without that kind of culture shock. While manufacturing would pick up much more in Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, etc. in that world rather than this one, increasing work and pay conditions, the southwest's (especially New Mexico and Arizona) future would be uncertain, would it be US or CS, the southern half of NM/AZ in the Civil War was Confederate, not to mention what would happen with Mexico in such a situation.

But I'm also not saying slavery wasn't a massive part to the war, did you read what I wrote earlier "a gallon of gas to a burning fire".

Davis was esteemed in politics in his time, he had much more weight in the grand scheme of things than you ever will, it's because of Jefferson Davis that I'm sitting south of the Gila River right now. And no, it wasn't treason, we have disproved that assertion countless times.

It really depends on what you call "culture", I find Hank Williams and Jerry Reed much more "cultural" than anything in the northeast, save Eddie Rabbitt of course.

Check your geography, the only thing "southern" in the general region of California, is Oildale, California. Arizona isn't a southern state, nor any other state around it. You may see California as the Godly beacon on the hill, but many of us feel California is a joke, the state of the IOU. At least the south has awesome food, not a bunch of looks obsessed movie stars with eating disorders. You have the other extreme.

And I have yet to see you prove it otherwise.
And California is not only Hollywood and LA.... many people have misconceptions of the South and MANY people have misconceptions about California.

And yes, California has some absolutely AMAZING food.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And California is not only Hollywood and LA.... many people have misconceptions of the South and MANY people have misconceptions about California.

And yes, California has some absolutely AMAZING food.
I was playing by their game, because I know not everyone in the south is a wide-load and not everyone in California is Anorexic, etc. But both have some good points, like food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies