Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 PM

148 posts, read 419,321 times

Advertisements

Massaging numbers, you can do almost anything with statistics depending on your point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:54 PM

234 posts, read 786,241 times
Cahpsuth:

It's sad that we are being fed so much "baloney" these days! I'm sorry that taxes are so high on cigarettes in Scotland now. Claire

Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,507 times
Default Why Do Americans Overreact to "Scientific/Politcal" investigations?

I can make numbers up too. I have 30 years of experience with "special studies". Second-hand smoke reports are as nebulous and inconsistent as the global warming pronouncements.
This is America. There is ALWAYS an economic factor, and hence, a political "response" to the issue. Just look at abortion, stem cell research, desegregation (in the 60s), and a host of other "new research reports". It's crazy. Either outlaw the sale of tobacco (and alcohol, for that matter), or let individual freedoms dictate the use of it.
Or maybe Osama is right...let's all convert to Muslim and there will be no smoking, no alcohol, no dancing, no freedoms except what is dictated by the chosen interpreters of the Koran!
Wake up, America. Tramping on the constitution is no light matter.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarinnj View Post
I can make numbers up too. I have 30 years of experience with "special studies". Second-hand smoke reports are as nebulous and inconsistent as the global warming pronouncements.
This is America. There is ALWAYS an economic factor, and hence, a political "response" to the issue. Just look at abortion, stem cell research, desegregation (in the 60s), and a host of other "new research reports". It's crazy. Either outlaw the sale of tobacco (and alcohol, for that matter), or let individual freedoms dictate the use of it.
Or maybe Osama is right...let's all convert to Muslim and there will be no smoking, no alcohol, no dancing, no freedoms except what is dictated by the chosen interpreters of the Koran!

thank you, it's hight time people come out and speak up not to be argumentative, but to let people of this country know, they've been kept in the dark and controlled for way to long.

Last night on the news, they did a coverage on the decline of cancer b/c people are not smoking as much anymore....well, dahhh, first that report is now coming out b/c people are finally calling on the media to stop making drive by reports...

and yes, there are way less people smoking today then ever before...way less....

again, this is an example of taking away our rights....

I read somewhere and mayb it was in these forums...that some woman stated she was leaving work and had to walk by the smokers outside station..and she was assulted by 2nd hand smoke????????

Um, when did Obama make a statement that we should all convert to Muslim?
Can you send me something on that?

thanks so much
Creme

Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 AM

118 posts, read 206,970 times
Nice to hear from you, Creme, it's been awhile.

There has been so much research done that has condemned certain behaviors/lifestyles and now, they've been overturned. For example, caffeine.

Research showed that caffeine was BAD - it raised your blood pressure, caused cancer and a myriad of other health problems. Now it's GOOD. Caffeine helps asthma and diabetes. I, personally, just like the taste. My sister was accused of being an addict when she was going through her divorce. The drug, coffee!

Research showed that cooking burgers on flat grills & on flame grills caused cancer. Again, the results of this were questionable.

Eggs, good or bad? Depends on the research.

Second hand smoke, life threatening or not? Depends on the research. I'v read articles on Scotland's decline in hospital reported visits for heart attacks, find much fault in how they got their numbers & when.

Global warming? Talking with with some of my scientist friends, they say it's naturally occuring. The amount of damage to the environment caused by Industrialized Nations did not compare to the Mount St. Helen's eruption.
I am not saying we should not be concerned of what we put in the environment, just look at our cities and the air quality! We need to be careful and make changes in "BIG INDUSTRY" and how & what they put in the air and water.

If they (WHOEVER THEY ARE) believe all this research there would be bans on everything. Research changes from day to day. You can't put total faith in any of it! As I have stated, in other posts, "He who funds the research gets the results he wants."

My husband quit smoking and altered his diet to improve his health. He is now taking anti-anxiety drugs & anti-depression drugs. This has been going on for 5 years! Has the quality of his life and health improved? NO! The drugs have caused side effects. Everything from loss of concentration, to restlessness, to higher blood pressure, stomach problems. Thankfully, he has not had the liver damage that can be associated with such medications, that could be just down the road, but I hope not. The problem is that you cannot go off of these drugs easily. When he started this "improvement" plan he listened to the advise of his doctor, the doctor listened to "BIG PHARMACEUTICAL" companies. He was better off before his so-called improvement plan.

Research is not gospel.

Last edited by Castaway; 09-16-2007 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM

118 posts, read 206,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarinnj View Post
Agree totally. Many non-smokers would not agree with you. They think that it is not a freedom and has no business being protected by the constitution.

When it comes to outlawing the smoking of cigarettes in the private business sector, they are all for it, but others (including some non-smokers) realize the repercussions of this. Allow the free market to determine the use and restricions for tobacco.

I live in a small city, there are only 4 convenience stores and 1 supermarket. They all sell a wide range of tobacco products. There must be a demand, otherwise they would not offer the product. Maybe, there are alot more smokers out there than researchers have reported.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 27,120 times
Default Fresh Air is good for you

I have been away from cigarette smoke for many years. Now, when I get around a smoker, or a child's clothing that reeks of cigarette smoke, I begin to sneeze, my eyes water and my throat begins to feel as if I had smoked. This cannot be good for anyone.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I smoke cigars, and I favor smoking bans. Smoking does kill, even second hand smoke can cause health problems up to and including death. People should be able to smoke if they choose to, but it should be done in a manner so that the smoke doesn't offend or bother other people. If tobacco was just coming out, there's no way it would be approved by the FDA. I realize people own businesses where they want to make their customers who smoke comfortable, like restaurants where it's common to see smoking and nonsmoking sections. But smoke is poison. We know that. It's scientifically proven, even second hand smoke kills, and employees who are struggling to make rent should not be put in the position where they have to choose between making rent and endangering their health. Even in private homes, children today that are raised in homes of smokers have higher rates of asthma and have other smoking related illnesses that can effect the rest of their lives.

I'm all for smoking. I smoke myself. But smokers don't have the right to force their smoke fumes on other people. I favor smoking bans in all public facilities. A cigar or cigarette type shop would be an exception. But we can't keep smoking in public places, especially when such a huge percentage of our population finds smoke fumes offensive.
Non smoker here too but I agree with your thoughts line for line

I have noticed that cigar and pipe smokers tend to be a different breed of cat compared to the cigarette crowd.

And; I make no bones about the fact that I looove the scent of unburned tobacco. Humidors smell neat.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynSue View Post
I have been away from cigarette smoke for many years. Now, when I get around a smoker, or a child's clothing that reeks of cigarette smoke, I begin to sneeze, my eyes water and my throat begins to feel as if I had smoked. This cannot be good for anyone.
Excellent point there.

My GF and I went to a sports bar here in the Phx area last night to see off a friend heading back to Iraq.

No smoking allowed in the bar at all obviously; we stepped outside and about 20 feet away were a couple puffing away------what really struck me was how obvious the fumes were to our noses. And that was outdoors!

Years ago the non smokers were 'desensitized' to cigarette smoke------note though if a cigar was lit up in a smoking allowed establishment-----many of the cigarette smokers actually wanted to gag as well.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
thank you, it's hight time people come out and speak up not to be argumentative, but to let people of this country know, they've been kept in the dark and controlled for way to long.

Last night on the news, they did a coverage on the decline of cancer b/c people are not smoking as much anymore....well, dahhh, first that report is now coming out b/c people are finally calling on the media to stop making drive by reports...

and yes, there are way less people smoking today then ever before...way less....

again, this is an example of taking away our rights....

I read somewhere and mayb it was in these forums...that some woman stated she was leaving work and had to walk by the smokers outside station..and she was assulted by 2nd hand smoke????????

Um, when did Obama make a statement that we should all convert to Muslim?
Can you send me something on that?

thanks so much
Creme
You mixed up Barack Obama and Osama bin Laden.

The Presidential candidate is a Christian whereas the mastermind of 9-11 is a self described 'Muslim'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies