Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
If the intention was to allow Congress to tax for any interpretion of "general welfare" and "common defense" then why would enumerations even need to be mentioned?
I really don't have time to conduct an remedial English course...

Maybe it would have been helpful if they had put numbers on each of the powers vested in Congress, then perhaps it would be easier for you to understand independent clauses.

The Congress shall have power:

1. To lay and collect taxes...;

2. to borrow money;

3. to establish an uniform Rule...;

4. to coin Money;

Are you getting it yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Better to recognize that there are some who have been instructed to heel to entrenched positions despite any, all, and even overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and who proceed to do so both faithfully and consistently.
Actually, I pay my taxes so I have no clue as to what you're speaking of.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You've got to understand that government apologists and resident DC retards have an inferiority complex and/or are OCD. Not all of us are like this.
I cannot differentiate between supporters of both parties. Both parties have irrational supporters that rather fight, insult and belittle instead of providing arguments and by that I do not mean "facts" that get from biased media.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I really don't have time to conduct an remedial English course...

Maybe it would have been helpful if they had put numbers on each of the powers vested in Congress, then perhaps it would be easier for you to understand independent clauses.

The Congress shall have power:

1. To lay and collect taxes...;

2. to borrow money;

3. to establish an uniform Rule...;

4. to coin Money;

Are you getting it yet?
And what number power is it that makes Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, Healthcare, or any other Collectivist policy Constitutional?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:21 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
See post #17
Seen. And #24 with it. Both dismissed as the lunatic rantings that they are. You appeal to and seek to hide behind a "common sense" that is in fact so uncommon as to be held only by yourself and an assortment of other unlearned extremists, deranged and entirely undisciplined thinkers all. No serious person anywhere joins in your array of peculiar delusions.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Actually, I pay my taxes so I have no clue as to what you're speaking of.
I doubt that refusing to pay your taxes would leave you in any better shape. As noted earlier, you don't seem able to recognize when you have gotten in way over your head.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM

LOL, at least I am capable of independent thought, which is not the case with many around here. We are very different creatures indeed. At least I don't have the arrogance to force my beliefs onto others through Godvernment force.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
LOL, at least I am capable of independent thought...
Oh, yes! Independent of a long list of things...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Quote:
You just don't recognize when you've gotten in way over your head, do you. The Wilson-Gorman Tariff Act of 1894 is the act that the Pollock decision uniquely found unconstitutional, and the implications of that ruling are specifically what was taken down by passage of the 16th Amendment. To quote from the retrospective ruling in Bowers v. Kerbaugh-Empire handed down in 1926, "It was not the purpose or effect of that amendment to bring any new subject within the taxing power. Congress already had power to tax all incomes."

LOL. It was quite clearly before you learned what the actual definition of a "voluntary tax system" is, since that occured only just the other night, and it doesn't seem that the lesson has necessarily been fully absorbed just yet. Dedication to ignorance is not an admirable thing...
Help me out. I'm not a lawyer, but I had understood that the problem was apportionment. Before the 16th amendment Congress would be forced to apportion taxes like income taxes based upon state population. That obviously can't work. Is that correct?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Oh, yes! Independent of a long list of things...
Especially independent of the "arrogance to force my beliefs onto others through Godvernment force" which you are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies