Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 AM

99 posts, read 522,395 times

Advertisements

I was driving very fast yesterday while going to office and i realized it only when Mr. cop caught me. This was my first time being caught for speed violation. When I told this all thing to my nephew he directly asked me "When limit nowhere in US is more than 85mph then why do we have 150 miles in the car in the speedometer". And I could not answer that lil kid's question. Do you think if we have maximum possible speed in the car set to 85 only (Set by manufacturers) will that be a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,255,285 times
I have thought the same questions! Whoa, I think like a little kid - that's interesting! What IS the point of having the speedometer go past 85 when the speed limit is usually between 55-75?! Man, that drive to El Paso, TX is AWESOME, I love going 85. Well, really I was going like 90 but hopefully no policemen are reading this.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 PM

452 posts, read 1,132,478 times
My Truck will not do over 90mph...It has a governor on it from the manufacturer...It Sucks! It’s a 04 model and the same model built in 03 did not have one. It makes no sense to me that a 4wd Truck has a governor on it and a mustang and all other sport cars do not. Maybe someone who owns a foreign model car can answer this but, I do not believe any foreign made car has a governor installed in them like some domestic made vehicles. If your not doing 80mph to 90mph where I live you are going to get run down by everyone else that is.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
My Truck will not do over 90mph...It has a governor on it from the manufacturer...It Sucks! It’s a 04 model and the same model built in 03 did not have one. It makes no sense to me that a 4wd Truck has a governor on it and a mustang and all other sport cars do not. Maybe someone who owns a foreign model car can answer this but, I do not believe any foreign made car has a governor installed in them like some domestic made vehicles. If your not doing 80mph to 90mph where I live you are going to get run down by everyone else that is.

Many European cars are electronically limited to 155MPH, even in countries with unrestricted speed areas.

A number of motorcyle manufacturerers have voluntarily limited their bikes to I believe 187MPH.

What truck do you have that's governed?

Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
I was driving very fast yesterday while going to office and i realized it only when Mr. cop caught me. This was my first time being caught for speed violation. When I told this all thing to my nephew he directly asked me "When limit nowhere in US is more than 85mph then why do we have 150 miles in the car in the speedometer". And I could not answer that lil kid's question. Do you think if we have maximum possible speed in the car set to 85 only (Set by manufacturers) will that be a good idea?
Horrible idea. Cars should go as fast as the person buying it wants it. They may not be able to drive the car that fast. but it is cool to brag to your friends abotu how fast your car can go.

The speed limits are often set-up low so municipalities can make massive amounts of $$ with tickets. It is a rip-off.

Most accidents are with people driving the limit. People who drive over the limit are usually paying attention.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:08 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,811 times
Quote:
Man, that drive to El Paso, TX is AWESOME, I love going 85. Well, really I was going like 90 but hopefully no policemen are reading this.
I got a ticket on this stretch!!! Right outside of Fort Stockton. But the state trooper was mighty fine, so I didn't mind too much.....

Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
My understanding is that speed governors are put on certain cars for a reason. A Mustang GT, a Crown Vic, and an Explorer all have governors, just at different speeds. I don't know the exact numbers, but for example, a Mustang GT might be set at 155, Crown Vic at 115, and the explorer at 94.

The reason behind it is the tires. Different tires are rated (by law) to travel at certain speeds, and are more prone to blowouts and loss of control if you exceed those speeds. That's not to say that a standard Explorer tire *can't* go 120 MPH, it just means that Ford doesn't want to get sued for allowing it. It's a liability and safety issue. I'm not sure, but I think the vehicle weight, suspension, etc. are taken into account, too.

Tire ratings - not comprehensive, just a few of the most common.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/images/speed.gif (broken link)

Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
In the late 70's.early 80's, if you remember, speedometers were limited to 85 MPH. Cars were not limited in speed, but speedometers were. That was the time of the 55MPH speed limit on interstates.

Some cars are electonically limited to a certain speed, some are RPM limited. I used to ask the same question when I was a kid, to my father, why have a 120 MPH speedometer when the speed limit (at that time) was 70 MPH on interstates. He said it was for people that race cars at the track. Kind of a silly answer...but I have a modified early 80's corvette that I race at the dragstrip. So I can legally exceed the speed limit in this environment. Incidently I bought the car with the original 85MPH speedometer. First thing I did was rip that out and replace it with a 150 MPH speedometer.

Actually, mostly these speedometers are for marketing purposes. Very very few cars can exceed 130 MPH, with or without speed and RPM limiters. Most cars are what we call "drag limited". You just face to much wind resistance and friction at high speed. I think C6 corvette's can get up to 180 or 190 MPH, but that's with a 505 horsepower engine and high gearing. Your average SUV will be struggling to get up to 110 MPH I think.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,797 times
Huh, you see SUVs all the time on metro Detroit freeways doing 90-100.

Take a look at a US-spec GM/Ford/Chrysler car versus a Honda Accord or Nissan Altima.
The Ford and GM cars have the top of the speedometer at 60 mph, while the imports have a vertical
meter reading of 80 mph. If you want a car with a lame speedometer and no locking fuel door,
and drive 55, you go on and do that. That's what Ohio people do for fun ... see how slow they can go.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:28 PM

711 posts, read 933,350 times
Thumbs down Speeding

Not to sound like a pooper, but honestly I would say that speedometers that show high speeds should do little else but prevent the gauge from breakage when an illegal act is committed. Autos capable of high speeds and exotic gauges show a side of many drivers and most manufacturers that receive far too little attention.
If it is true that more people have been killed or maimed by motor vehicles than all the wars ever fought---what does that indicate?
Some areas have become so lacking in M.V. law enforcement that civil people are intimidated when driving there---especially those who have had a loved one slain on the street by a smart A with a big foot. Speed kills--it has been proven time and time again. Examine the braking charts. Check the impact tests. I would be pleased if more jurisdictions required speeders to participate in these tests in order to retain their license. Being licensed to drive is a privilege not a constitutional right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies