Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Iran said it successfully test fired two short-range missiles during drills Sunday by the elite Revolutionary Guard, a show of force days after the U.S. and its allies condemned Tehran over a newly revealed underground nuclear facility that was being constructed secretly.

Iran tests short-range missiles amid nuclear tension - CNN.com
Iran Test Fires 2 Short-Range Missiles - Iran | Map | News - FOXNews.com

Obama didn't mention anything about Iran's 2nd nuclear plan although he claimed to kno about it, when he addressed the UN...but "it wasn't the time", accoring to Obama...but he did mention Israel's settlements..

Obama didn't know about Acorn, but he did know about Kanye's remark

Obama claimed this week again "transparency" that is what his government is all about ...we have seen his transparency, when he signed a bill nobody had time to read!

Obama has showed this week that even the French president and the Brittish prime minister can bring a better speech with stronger wrds to the World.

Netanyahu brought a remarkable speech...and they all did it without a teleprompter, just from the Hearth....that is what we need a president who isn't still campaigning but is there to show the country there is a president you might not agree with on all points but who knows what he is talking about...too bad we have the one who is running for the worst president ever!

Last edited by bentlebee; 09-27-2009 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Iran was not obligated to reveal anything about the reactor at Qom, as a signator of the Non Proliferation Treaty, they only have to disclose what is taking place at the reactor site when the site contains radioactive material. Up until Monday, they did not, and when they did, they disclosed this information and invited the IEAE inspectors. Additionally the United States has long since been aware of the reactor site at Qom and in fact Iran has plans for 15 nuclear power plants and I suspect the US will know where everyone of them are.

Anyone who thinks the United States doesn't have the worlds most sophisticated satellites watching every that is going on in the Middle East is being silly. Something to the size and scale of a nuclear reactor and what it takes to actually construct one, doesn't go unnoticed by the US. Unless of course the Chinese have developed a mail order inflatable nuclear reactor kit you can buy online.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
obama is certainly sending mixed signals on international relations. after talking about diplomacy and stating that he would like dialogue / interaction with iran, he then "discovers" this "secret" enrichment plant and threatens increased sanctions (after sanctions were already extended this year), while not ruling out military intervention. he has definitely assumed a more hardline approach in the last few days.

in afghanistan, obama escalated the troop action and now needs time to "think" about what he wants to do with the troops. what is the plan? either reinforce or call it a win and come home. we have troops over there getting killed daily.

i bet most americans do not want more spending on wars or fighting in wars!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:23 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Iran said it successfully test fired two short-range missiles during drills Sunday by the elite Revolutionary Guard, a show of force days after the U.S. and its allies condemned Tehran over a newly revealed underground nuclear facility that was being constructed secretly.

Iran tests short-range missiles amid nuclear tension - CNN.com
Iran Test Fires 2 Short-Range Missiles - Iran | Map | News - FOXNews.com

Obama didn't mention anything about Iran's 2nd nuclear plan although he claimed to kno about it, when he addressed the UN...but "it wasn't the time", accoring to Obama...but he did mention Israel's settlements..

Obama didn't know about Acorn, but he did know about Kanye's remark

Obama claimed this week again "transparency" that is what his government is all about ...we have seen his transparency, when he signed a bill nobody had time to read!

Obama has showed this week that even the French president and the Brittish prime minister can bring a better speech with stronger wrds to the World.

Netanyahu brought a remarkable speech...and they all did it without a teleprompter, just from the Hearth....that is what we need a president who isn't still campaigning but is there to show the country there is a president you might not agree with on all points but who knows what he is talking about...too bad we have the one who is running for the worst president ever!

what??

Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
obama is certainly sending mixed signals on international relations. after talking about diplomacy and stating that he would like dialogue / interaction with iran, he then "discovers" this "secret" enrichment plant and threatens increased sanctions (after sanctions were already extended this year), while not ruling out military intervention. he has definitely assumed a more hardline approach in the last few days.
Let's see...hmmm.

Let's say I walk into a barroom and this drunk gets in my face, my first response is, "Dude, come on, let's talk this out." Instead of the drunk dupe calming down, he gets up in my face, so I tell him, "Dude, look, I offered to talk about what's bothering you but that doesn't seem to be what you are interested, so either you sit down or I will sit you down." Where is the mixed signal? I'm sober, I'm stronger, and I know for a fact that I can take this guy down any time that I choose to, so what did I lose by trying to talk first? Nothing.

Quote:
in afghanistan, obama escalated the troop action and now needs time to "think" about what he wants to do with the troops. what is the plan?
Escalating the troops in Afghanistan was the thing that need to be done for 7 years, so when you get a chance to finally do it, you do it. Only problem is that situation had deteriorated (out of neglect) for so long that the meager "escalation", as you call it, did change the dynamics. Then you find out that the present government of Afghanistan is totally corrupt and hijacks the election. It's kind of tough to pursue a counter insurgent war when the basis of any such war is to support a legitimate alternative to the insurgents. When you don't have a legitimate alternative... you got no counter-insurgency. Get where I'm going?

Further, some folks only seem to dwell on only the leaked part of the McCyrstals report, which appears from most credible subsequent reports to layout a bit more detail than, "hey we just need more troops" (Westmoreland anyone?). Instead of following in Johnson's tragic footsteps, Obama's got enough brains to know that the American public isn't in this for the long haul, and the that the long haul just might not be worth it, so he has the temerity to stop, and think before writing checks that our collective asses can't cash. What a maroon? Not!

Quote:
either reinforce or call it a win and come home. we have troops over there getting killed daily.
if life and war were only as simple as simple minded Americans.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
you can't say whether obama will further escalate (or not) in afghanistan because he hasn't decided yet, so any answer would be speculation.

i do know one thing and that is russia is not being as cooperative on sanctions against iran as the US had hoped, or as is being reported by our media:

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Russia 'rethinks' Iran sanctions

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-27-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

The funny thing is, this "Secret" facility was built while Bush was president and he never learned about it, or he lied and denied knowing about it. Either way, he did NOTHING to stop them.

Obama comes in, and within 6 months we know about Iran's program and he is actually doing something about it. It's pretty obvious who is the better leader.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Iran better watch out or Obama is going to give them a REAL stern talking-to.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,263 times
It was stated on the news earlier, that Bush knew about it and inform Obama when he took office.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
The funny thing is, this "Secret" facility was built while Bush was president and he never learned about it, or he lied and denied knowing about it. Either way, he did NOTHING to stop them.

Obama comes in, and within 6 months we know about Iran's program and he is actually doing something about it. It's pretty obvious who is the better leader.
Bush had his eyes on Iraq so they probably left Iran to their own doings.
In the grand scheme of things though it would be natural that Iran would be next..they have oil too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies