Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:26 AM

38,648 posts, read 26,418,133 times

Advertisements

Environmentalists put eighty-thousand people out of work and create a 41% local unemployment rate to save smelt.

YouTube - Fish or families? Comedian Paul Rodriguez on Hannity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,640,454 times
What about the animals that depend on those little fish for food? Don't they matter either? What about the fish species that eat the smelt that humans catch in turn? I suppose it doesn't matter if a whole ecosystem collapses, just as long as we get our water, right?

It's not as simple as let the fish go extinct so we can have more water. What if the fishing industry around California collapses because a vital link goes missing in the food chain? Then you'd have a wrecked ecosystem AND a bunch of people out of work, not only commercial fishermen but also those that depend on sports fishing for their livelihoods instead of farmers.

Last edited by Hesster; 06-20-2009 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 02:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
What about the animals that depend on those little fish for food? Don't they matter either? What about the fish species that eat the smelt that humans catch in turn? I suppose it doesn't matter if a whole ecosystem collapses, just as long as we get our water, right?
As a dedicated salt-water sports fisherman, I can attest to the stress that is taking place in the marine bio-system. If 8,000 are out of work today because of environmentalist, like me, I can only say, if you we keep fishing at current rates they were going to be unemployed forever in the very near future.

Speaking of unemployed, whens the last time Paul Rodriguez had a job?

PS- I thought we did care about what Hollywood actors/activist have to say?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,861,516 times
We are going to rob the nation of food and jobs because of a little fish? What brain though up this nonsense up before destroying the loves of so many? It's just another way the liberals in Washington are ruining the lives of hard working people.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
We are going to rob the nation of food and jobs because of a little fish? What brain though up this nonsense up before destroying the loves of so many? It's just another way the liberals in Washington are ruining the lives of hard working people.
We have no idea what the long term effects letting this fish go extinct could be. I'd argue that it's more important to protect seemingly insignificant animals lower on the food chain than it is to protect more impressive species at the top simply because they are depended on by so many other animals. It's not like these smelt have no known predators. Fish eating birds, reptiles, and mammals, as well as other fish (possibly those that are in turn caught by humans such as salmon) could all be effected. The extinction of this one minnow could in turn cause other animals to go endangered or extinct, which would adversely effect even more jobs. We just don't know.

And then there's the fact that the worldwide food web can only take so many extinctions before the whole thing collapses, and possibly takes the human species with it.

So it's more than a matter of one little fish putting people out of work.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:36 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,861,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
We have no idea what the long term effects letting this fish go extinct could be. I'd argue that it's more important to protect seemingly insignificant animals lower on the food chain than it is to protect more impressive species at the top simply because they are depended on by so many other animals. It's not like these smelt have no known predators. Fish eating birds, reptiles, and mammals, as well as other fish (possibly those that are in turn caught by humans such as salmon) could all be effected. The extinction of this one minnow could in turn cause other animals to go endangered or extinct, which would adversely effect even more jobs. We just don't know.

And then there's the fact that the worldwide food web can only take so many extinctions before the whole thing collapses, and possibly takes the human species with it.

So it's more than a matter of one little fish putting people out of work.

I am sure none of these out of work families happen to be yours? I did not think so. This little fish means little to the lives of many people who count on water to provide, what can it be? Yes food!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Environmentalists put eighty-thousand people out of work and create a 41% local unemployment rate to save smelt.
I watched Hannity that night. Well at least the segment, and I was angry! To hell with the fish! People need to be making money.

Sometimes there is no common sense when it comes to the environment

Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I am sure none of these out of work families happen to be yours? I did not think so. This little fish means little to the lives of many people who count of water to provide, what can it be? Yes food!
No, they are not. I didn't say that nothing should be done for the farmers. I said that we shouldn't allow things to go on as they are and cause the fish to go extinct.

So it would be OK with you if the ocean food chain in the area possibly collapsed a few years down the line and put the entire fishing industry in California out of work and caused a bunch more animals to go endangered? Which in turn would effect even more jobs just so people can save some money on oranges at the supermarket?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,598 times
Environmentalists--

Are you fools?!! Many of you are establishing opinions without researching what's really going on. Spouting sound bites from what you've decided you agree with. But do you really agree? Don't be taken or misled. Research everything you see and hear with an open mind. Question! Question! Question! Think of all possible consequences. Is this Delta smelt really endangered? How easy is it to put a species on the Endangered List. Who controls this list? How far left of neutral is this Cabinet? Is there an underlying purpose to shutting down these pumps besides saving the smelt? What will happen to the ecosystem that has been thriving in this lush green valley since farming began? What about those species, will they die in the newly created desert? What happens when these farms can no longer be supported? Will they be sold and to who? Who will buy them? Developers? So maybe we're really trading in this farmland for a concrete jungle? And so it's okay to abandon the smelt then? Think, will you?!!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 AM

4 posts, read 6,598 times
Again, think before you speak (or blog)! Mr. Rodriguez was recently in Beverly Hills Chihuahua released in 2008 as Chico the Iguana opposite Cheech Marin, and is in pre-production of two new series, one of which is picked up by VH1. And, yes, we should care when these Hollywood types finally understands the politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies