Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
You simply can't sell youself.

The great thing about America is that a 10th generational person born into poverty can easily make the leap into 1st generational rich.

Naive. Hello? I'm salaried and have worked in DC, Philly, and San Diego. I can come and go to any city I please. Dude - it's so easy

- i could mng retail
- i could bartend/wait staff
- i could cater
- i could tech

If you have a job without PTO, you could always find a new job. *shrug*
You also totally misunderstood my post. It's like this: salaried people get paid a salary to work a certain number of hours, full time, half time, whatever. I have had part time salaried jobs. You still have to use your sick time, vacation time, PTO, whatever, to take time off.

I don't think you could "tech" English. Are you aware that teaching requires a licesnse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why should your employer bear the cost for your sickness?

What is the rationale behind this idea?
Is it that your employer is richer than you and can afford it?

I am not arguing against paid days off simply trying to find the rationale behind an employer paying for you not to work.

The current job I have is the first to offer vacation,personal days and a retirement plan...and health insurance.

Of course it does all this because the pay is awful,my chances of advancement rest upon one of my co-workers leaving and the work is dull and unfulfilling....
The rationale is that employees are HUMAN!!!YOOHOO!

The rationale is that a good life in the "world's Greatest Country" means not working yourself to death or into poverty.

The rationale is that companies will fail if Americans fail.

The rationale is that well paid employees with good benefits support a good economy which is good for everyone.

The rationale is that this is the 21st century not the 19th.....the human condition SHOULD improve over time, not degenerate.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The rationale is that employees are HUMAN!!!YOOHOO!
So is the employer and why should he/she bear the cost?

Quote:
The rationale is that a good life in the "world's Greatest Country" means not working yourself to death or into poverty.
A little dramatic don't you think,having worked jobs that did not offer benefits of any kind you the individual worked things out.

Quote:
The rationale is that companies will fail if Americans fail.
How would lost working hours due to people being paid to not work keep this from happening?

Quote:
The rationale is that well paid employees with good benefits support a good economy which is good for everyone.
What is the basis of this rationale,is it supported by actual facts?

Quote:
The rationale is that this is the 21st century not the 19th.....the human condition SHOULD improve over time, not degenerate.
Again a little too dramatic for my taste..

But thanks for replying.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM

About 35 years ago, a friend of mine was working for a government contractor in Washington, DC. She wanted some time off, but didn't have any to use. She suggested she take time w/o pay. Her boss said, "If we didn't need you here, you wouldn't have a job". Think about it.

As for sick leave, that is the mark of a company that values its employees.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 AM

24 posts, read 28,283 times
Our Sick days and Vac days are ties together. Just called PTO (paid time off)

Get 15 days per year (in another year that goes to 20days per year, then 25days per year after 10years with the company)

Other benefits:
Dental Ins
Vision Ins
Health Ins
Life Ins
401K match (up to 4% of yearly salary)

The Ins costs me $56 every two weeks.

Last edited by CousinEddie; 09-30-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
I think all companies should provide 30 days of paid sick time a year.

I think all companies who do not provide this sick paid time, or any level lower then 30 days, should be federally mandated to compensate the full wages to any employee, client, or customer, who becomes sick and must stay home from school or their job, as a result of a sick employee coming in to work, or sending their sick child in to school sick, and infecting them or their school aged children.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
What do you think of paid sick leave?
Should companies be required to provide x amount of paid sick leave days?
If so, what's an appropriate amount of days?

Some argue it would hurt businesses. Some argue it helps the business and society at large by keeping sick people at home. Think about it, you don't want your sick colleague coming to work spreading their germs.

Too sick to work? That's simply too bad | StarTribune.com

Poder 360° - Paid Sick Days, a Luxury in the U.S.

50% of Americans Lack Sick Leave (Poverty in America - Change.org)
I think it depends on the type of business and size. Small businesses are already working on a shoe string in many cases, paying sick leave can break them. but you are right about people coming to work sick and spreading germs everywhere.

I like the policy some companies have: X number of days paid per year, call it sick leave, personal days, whatever..

I also think there should be a limit on the number of sick days a company will pay for in a given year.

Nita

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
One paid sick day per month.
why too much. It is a rare company that pays that much. Most companies pay more like 5 to 6 days per year.

Nita

Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I also think there should be a limit on the number of sick days a company will pay for in a given year.

Nita
There usually is.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
As I said before just about every company out there offers those benefits, but one has to accrue leave. It means that if I start working for the company today, I don't have any annual or sick leave to take. That comes later, as I can only accrue perhaps 2 days of leave (sick and annual) per month. Troopers accrue around 6 weeks a year

Actually, almost no part time or low wage service jobs provide any type of leave program. This is literally millions of workers, who often work with the public, and can least afford "unpaid time", or getting fired for not showing up.

True story, I worked for a sub shop years ago, I became violently ill, and could barely walk. I tried to call out, the owner picked up the phone, and handed me this "If you dont come in, you dont have a job".

That is exactly what your standard low wage person gets for "sick time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies