Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Lord, there's one creepy commenter on my thread.

I'd advise all sane people to add him to your ignore list. There is no reason or rationality there. You will never pursuade him, and you will never "win." Please just ignore.
Already done a couple hours ago.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And the majority of elections in the United States have not been called into question. Voters most certainly do elect their representatives.

My certainty would be upheld by the historic record.

Your certainty would not.
Let us assume for a moment that you are correct. And that it isn't people with money that TRULY determine who's going to be put in office.

Do they consult you before making decisions that affect you? No, they listen to "special interests"--people with the money or influence/power to make their reply worthwhile for them.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Let us assume for a moment that you are correct. And that it isn't people with money that TRULY determine who's going to be put in office.

Do they consult you before making decisions that affect you? No, they listen to "special interests"--people with the money or influence/power to make their reply worthwhile for them.
They do consult people. That's why we have opinion polls.

And people do have access to their elected representatives. I'm sure it varies from constituency to constituency. Many representatives maintain a local office where people can stop in. All representatives elected to national offices have an office that people can visit, call, or write about issues. All representatives have to stump for re-election, and can be questioned and challenged about their voting records.

There is a contradiction in your arguments. On the one hand, you argue that no one can be raped or overpowered without their consent. That personal safety is an issue of will. And on the other hand, you argue that people are governed without their consent. That they have no input.

I challenge both arguments. On a personal basis, I can be overpowered by someone stronger, I can be outrun by someone faster, I can be out-thought by someone smarter. But I cannot be forced to surrender, I cannot be stopped from competing, no one can stop me from thinking. And no one can stop me from expressing my political views and positions to my elected officials (as long as those political views and positions are expressed in a peaceful manner and don't advocate illegal acts). If you believe that you have no say in how you are governed, and you choose to be apathetic, then you don't have any say. But if you believe that the people in power are listening, then you believe that your words have weight. Our government was designed to create an incentive for people in power to listen. It's not the government's fault when people want to stay at home and complain rather than find ways to make changes happen. The path was blazed for us, and even though it gets overgrown and rocky at times, that path will always be there for people to travel.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:38 PM

I'm not saying that they don't consent. And therein lies the problem...this is a nation of sheep, so don't be surprised if you get fleeced.

Time and time again we've seen where the representatives go against "public opinion" and do things their way. And no one does anything about it either. The special interests, the people with money, power, influence pull their strings and make them dance to their tune.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm not saying that they don't consent. And therein lies the problem...this is a nation of sheep, so don't be surprised if you get fleeced.

Time and time again we've seen where the representatives go against "public opinion" and do things their way. And no one does anything about it either. The special interests, the people with money, power, influence pull their strings and make them dance to their tune.
I'm sorry you see things this way. Your view of our government is very sad. Every day I'm excited by the government. I'm excited when I visit this forum and I read the opinions of people, when I read the posts of the tea partiers, when I read the posts of liberals, when I read the posts of anyone who feels strongly on an issue. Their posts are full of energy, and I find that tremendously empowering. Americans are so vocal, so dynamic about government and the political system, that I even love the disagreements. I love the bickering, and I'm thrilled when someone introduces me to a new way of looking at an issue.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
They do consult people. That's why we have opinion polls.

And people do have access to their elected representatives. I'm sure it varies from constituency to constituency. Many representatives maintain a local office where people can stop in. All representatives elected to national offices have an office that people can visit, call, or write about issues. All representatives have to stump for re-election, and can be questioned and challenged about their voting records.

There is a contradiction in your arguments. On the one hand, you argue that no one can be raped or overpowered without their consent. That personal safety is an issue of will. And on the other hand, you argue that people are governed without their consent. That they have no input.

I challenge both arguments. On a personal basis, I can be overpowered by someone stronger, I can be outrun by someone faster, I can be out-thought by someone smarter. But I cannot be forced to surrender, I cannot be stopped from competing, no one can stop me from thinking. And no one can stop me from expressing my political views and positions to my elected officials (as long as those political views and positions are expressed in a peaceful manner and don't advocate illegal acts). If you believe that you have no say in how you are governed, and you choose to be apathetic, then you don't have any say. But if you believe that the people in power are listening, then you believe that your words have weight. Our government was designed to create an incentive for people in power to listen. It's not the government's fault when people want to stay at home and complain rather than find ways to make changes happen. The path was blazed for us, and even though it gets overgrown and rocky at times, that path will always be there for people to travel.

well, that was a nice articulate post but that doesn't begin to explain the bailouts, and i can assure you that most americans were against ALL OF THEM!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you see things this way. Your view of our government is very sad. Every day I'm excited by the government. I'm excited when I visit this forum and I read the opinions of people, when I read the posts of the tea partiers, when I read the posts of liberals, when I read the posts of anyone who feels strongly on an issue. Their posts are full of energy, and I find that tremendously empowering. Americans are so vocal, so dynamic about government and the political system, that I even love the disagreements. I love the bickering, and I'm thrilled when someone introduces me to a new way of looking at an issue.
I have to agree. While I may get disappointed in our country at times, sometimes even hate it, I've never gotten to the point where I just don't even want to get involved or get paranoid. I don't know how people get to that point really.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I have to agree. While I may get disappointed in our country at times, sometimes even hate it, I've never gotten to the point where I just don't even want to get involved or get paranoid. I don't know how people get to that point really.
It isn't paranoia when they ARE out to get you.

If one opens their eyes, and sees how little effect their individual voice has on the government, then they see no point in getting involved in what is essentially a failed system. When the complaint is that the system doesn't work, and none of the candidates are going to solve the problem, one need not vote to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies