Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:57 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,158,896 times

Advertisements

Not in our lifetimes, at least. Now, if the Palinites had got their way, maybe... but the election proved there are more sensible people in the US than throw-backs to outdated thinking.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I come across countless threads regarding abortion, some for and some against the practice of abortion. The point I'm trying to make is this: Roe-V-Wade is Never going to be overturned. Most of the country(& World) views this as a woman's right to choose. The complete fallout and outrage at this removal of choice would be unparalled thus the right to choose as outlined in Roe-v-Wade is here to stay. I can understand a person being against abortions due to religious reasons, ect, but this does not change the fact that the Supreme Court has already dealt with this issue and Roe-v-Wade is the end result. Do anti-choice advocates actually think that they can get R-v-W overturned? Would it be better to live in a society where a woman must resort to EXTREME measures such as "back-alley" abortions, self-induced miscarrages, trips to foreign countries, ect? Abortions will never stop and the consequences of outlawing abortions would be horrendous at best. Do you actually think Roe-v-Wade could be overturned and if it were, what would be your solutions to deal with the ensueing calamity? Adoption is NOT a blanket solution either. Thank you for your time and consideration on this difficult issue.
this is what I have been saying for a long time: of course it isn't going to be overturned. That shouldn't even be an issue. If it were going to be, it would have, at least come up while Bush was President. He had the right supreme court and was totally pro life.

I do think if it were overturned you would see more people being a little more careful, they would be using birth control more. As a parent of two adopted children I do wish groups like planned parenthood would stress adoption as an alternative a little more often. I know of a couple situations when women did go to planned parenthood and adoption wasn't even suggested, but abortion was.

I have to admit, even though I am 75% pro life, I wouldn't want to see it overturned.

Nita

Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
If it is overturned it would be a states right , voters (we the people ) could decide . It should be a states right . So , if anything it would be thrown out not overturned . That could be done. The anti -life makes plenty of funds also , don't worry .
That is something as well. Even though I do not see it happening the choice would then go to the states, so totally outlawing abortion will never happen.

Nita

Old 10-01-2009, 02:25 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
It's better that it ISN'T a states right issue, that would just be 50x worse than what we have now.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Support for abortion rights slips - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Quote:
Polls conducted in 2009 have found fewer Americans expressing support for abortion than in previous years. In Pew Research Center polls in 2007 and 2008, supporters of legal abortion clearly outnumbered opponents; now Americans are evenly divided on the question, and there have been modest increases in the numbers who favor reducing abortions or making them harder to obtain. Less support for abortion is evident among most demographic and political groups.

Look at that nosedive. I guess it would depend on the makeup of SCOTUS.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Sure ;just as the law can be changed and go back to court. the abortion issue isn't isn't ever going to be excepted by either side. Its a basic belief issue.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,596,726 times
Yes...it should be a States matter not the Federal Govt...let the people make the decision of what they want...

Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Support for abortion rights slips - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Look at that nosedive. I guess it would depend on the makeup of SCOTUS.
Suprisingly people rarely care to fight for a right they already have and take for granted. That may explain the downward trend. The picture changes rather abruptly when the right is no longer a right.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,906,340 times
There are many women qualified to perform safe early abortions, and more learning how all the time. Not to worry. Roe V wade won't be overturned...but just in case, women will have a lot of coffee clubs all over the place. You know how women like to chat, and learn new things about their bodies. Yay ! Women power !

Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
There are many women qualified to perform safe early abortions, and more learning how all the time. Not to worry. Roe V wade won't be overturned...but just in case, women will have a lot of coffee clubs all over the place. You know how women like to chat, and learn new things about their bodies. Yay ! Women power !
Haha yes. I first heard about this 20+ years ago. I knew then that we would never really have to worry about abortion being illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies