Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 02:21 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy268 View Post
Using your logic, why have anything deemed illegal, since all laws are broken?
Lol, is bolding the new ALL CAPS?

I didnt answer Sonrise when s/he asked that because it's a silly question.

It's not my "logic", it's an unpleasant reality that has to be managed in a rational, mature manner. We'd all like there to be no abortions and for every baby to be wanted and loved. But what is to be done while we wait for that day to come? If ABs are going to happen, as any honest person will admit they are, they have to stay safe, legal and rare.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
How do you know that what you have been told is true and not simply a combination of abortion industry propoganda and urban legend?
Welcome to Reading Is Fundamental

Old 10-03-2009, 06:21 AM

183 posts, read 115,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

It's not my "logic", it's an unpleasant reality that has to be managed in a rational, mature manner. We'd all like there to be no abortions and for every baby to be wanted and loved. But what is to be done while we wait for that day to come? If ABs are going to happen, as any honest person will admit they are, they have to stay safe, legal and rare.

And the reason why is because you say so?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 AM

183 posts, read 115,047 times
Quote:

I'm very disappointed with you delusianne. You usually have much better responses than you have provided today. In fact, you're a little boring today. Let's work on that. Try including some arguments based on verifiable facts.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
It will never be overturned. The only Justice on the Supreme Court that would be STUPID enough to do such a thing is Thomas. Not even the other conservatives would do it.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:

Maybe that same arguement can be made for suicides.

They are going to always be suicides so lets make assisterd suicide legal and invilve a doctor so it doesn't get " messy" ( sarc)

Thankfully, our laws on assisted suicide haven't fallen like the abortion laws.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Amazing that pro-choice people vehemently deny that it is a baby ( fetus, just tissue, part of the mother, they prioclaim)

Yet, if a drunk driver hits a car and kills a pregnant woman ,he is charged with --2--counts of vehicular homicide.

What a hypocricy !

Old 10-03-2009, 08:00 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
How do you know that what you have been told is true and not simply a combination of abortion industry propoganda and urban legend?
And I'd have to ask you how do you know that what you have been told is true and not simply a combination of anti-abortion industry propaganda and urban legend?

The truth is there is no objective data out there from the period prior to RvW. When morbidity or mortality was the result of back-street abortions, and the cause as such was listed on medical records, the chain of events was the same as if it had been a gun shot wound. These were reported to the authorities, and investigated as crimes. The reasons they were not accurately documented were varied, from protecting the identities of the doctors involved, to protecting the identities of the women involved. How do I know this? Ask anyone who worked in emergency rooms, or women's health pre RvW as I did. I know what I saw, and I heard what others saw. I don't like abortion, especially as a means of birth control, but having worked in the field of maternal/child health my entire adult life I strongly believe it must remain accessible. I do think we should do everything within our power to reduce the numbers, and it's all about education, education, education. People need to get over this idea that sex education in schools is going result in increased sexual activity in teens. I had sex ed as a teen, and I can tell you after seeing the n-th slide of warts, etc, we had all decided we were NEVER going to have sex. I wish the pro-choice and pro-life movements would come together with a plan to reduce the numbers of abortions, and I'm not talking abstinence here. That will be a great day to prove that Americans are really and truly concerned about the next generation.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
And the reason why is because you say so?
No, Chevy. it's real life.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And I'd have to ask you how do you know that what you have been told is true and not simply a combination of anti-abortion industry propaganda and urban legend?

The truth is there is no objective data out there from the period prior to RvW. When morbidity or mortality was the result of back-street abortions, and the cause as such was listed on medical records, the chain of events was the same as if it had been a gun shot wound. These were reported to the authorities, and investigated as crimes. The reasons they were not accurately documented were varied, from protecting the identities of the doctors involved, to protecting the identities of the women involved. How do I know this? Ask anyone who worked in emergency rooms, or women's health pre RvW as I did. I know what I saw, and I heard what others saw. I don't like abortion, especially as a means of birth control, but having worked in the field of maternal/child health my entire adult life I strongly believe it must remain accessible. I do think we should do everything within our power to reduce the numbers, and it's all about education, education, education. People need to get over this idea that sex education in schools is going result in increased sexual activity in teens. I had sex ed as a teen, and I can tell you after seeing the n-th slide of warts, etc, we had all decided we were NEVER going to have sex. I wish the pro-choice and pro-life movements would come together with a plan to reduce the numbers of abortions, and I'm not talking abstinence here. That will be a great day to prove that Americans are really and truly concerned about the next generation.
Obama feels the same way.
Mr. Obama describes himself as "pro-choice," but told CBS News Evening News Anchor Katie Couric that in terms of the current health care debate, he would like to preserve the tradition of not using government funds to pay for abortion services.
Americans Split on Abortion with Obama in Office - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

"Obama will work to reduce unintended pregnancy by guaranteeing equity in contraceptive coverage, providing sex education and offering rape victims accurate information about emergency contraception."

Promise: Work To Reduce Unintended Pregnancies - The Promise Audit - National Journal Online

"The [Obama faith-based initiatives] office will be given four specific missions, including an administration effort to reduce teen pregnancy and reduce the need for abortion. The goals, Mr. DuBois said, will include ensuring access to health care and support for adoption."

Faith-Based Program Gets Wider Focus - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies