Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,771 times

Advertisements

Mortgage loans and the approval process have NOT been reformed. And now the government has now conspired with the mortgage companies and the next wave of sub-prime borrowers, the later being those who need an $8,000 tax credit to buy property. This conspiracy is even more insideous than the previous.

They'll buy property they can't afford just to get the tax credit, and live off the credit just like the last wave of sub-primers lived of their equity.

Essentially the government is pulling people into the real estate market, many of whom should not be buying because they don't have the financial foundation to satisfy their obligations. This is little more than an extension of the idea that home ownership is a privilege and a right.

So we may see a slight stabilizing effect, maybe even a minor uptick in real estate values. But the bubble won't last long without meaningful wages and jobs.

The mortgage market should have been REFORMED before they threw the tax credit out there to pull unsavory borrowers into the market. Seems most things these days are being done without adequate consideration of the effect.

Anyone remember the old days? When you had to PROVE you could afford the property, when gift letters excluded gifted money from your loan approval ratios, when only a QUALIFIED borrower got a mortgage.

What all of this will cause is another wave of real estate devaluation and the next one will dwarf the previous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
One more example of the gubmint trying to use the US citizen to spur the world economy.

I'm sure you can comb through these forums and find threads full of folks who acknowledge that their finances are truly tight already, but want to buy a home because this credit just calls out to them.

I remember one example of a starving artist in a Cali forum wanting to do just that.

I did not get it, either.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:39 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Keynesian witchdoctor retard "economics" hard at work.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Mortgage loans and the approval process have NOT been reformed. And now the government has now conspired with the mortgage companies and the next wave of sub-prime borrowers, the later being those who need an $8,000 tax credit to buy property. This conspiracy is even more insideous than the previous.

They'll buy property they can't afford just to get the tax credit, and live off the credit just like the last wave of sub-primers lived of their equity.

Essentially the government is pulling people into the real estate market, many of whom should not be buying because they don't have the financial foundation to satisfy their obligations. This is little more than an extension of the idea that home ownership is a privilege and a right.

So we may see a slight stabilizing effect, maybe even a minor uptick in real estate values. But the bubble won't last long without meaningful wages and jobs.

The mortgage market should have been REFORMED before they threw the tax credit out there to pull unsavory borrowers into the market. Seems most things these days are being done without adequate consideration of the effect.

Anyone remember the old days? When you had to PROVE you could afford the property, when gift letters excluded gifted money from your loan approval ratios, when only a QUALIFIED borrower got a mortgage.

What all of this will cause is another wave of real estate devaluation and the next one will dwarf the previous.

Question, have you gone through the home buying process within the last 3 months? Do you know of someone that has gone through the home buying process within the last three months? No it is NOT as easy as it was a year ago to obtain a mortgage.
The $8000 essentially are the funds that the buyers saved up for the downpayment and or prepayment amounts. You HAVE to have the 3% downpayment and prepayment amount in your account BEFORE you are approved for a mortgage.
Also, the banks have tightened up on their home appraisals. Homes are not appraising for the value that many of these owners and realtors believe they should.
The mortgage rules have gotten tighter, one would not know this unless you work in the mortgage or realestate industry or going through or went through the home buying process.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
One more example of the gubmint trying to use the US citizen to spur the world economy.

I'm sure you can comb through these forums and find threads full of folks who acknowledge that their finances are truly tight already, but want to buy a home because this credit just calls out to them.

I remember one example of a starving artist in a Cali forum wanting to do just that.

I did not get it, either.

True..but wanting is not the same as getting. ...

Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
It's a tax credit. If you buy a house in 2009 you won't see the credit until you file your taxes in 2010. You still have to come up with the full down payment and satisfy the lender that you have the income and stability to carry the mortgage. How is this comparable to a sub-prime loan?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:59 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Question, have you gone through the home buying process within the last 3 months? Do you know of someone that has gone through the home buying process within the last three months? No it is NOT as easy as it was a year ago to obtain a mortgage.
The $8000 essentially are the funds that the buyers saved up for the downpayment and or prepayment amounts. You HAVE to have the 3% downpayment and prepayment amount in your account BEFORE you are approved for a mortgage.
Also, the banks have tightened up on their home appraisals. Homes are not appraising for the value that many of these owners and realtors believe they should.
The mortgage rules have gotten tighter, one would not know this unless you work in the mortgage or realestate industry or going through or went through the home buying process.
I call BS. The 8,000 can be written out to a third party. This is being applied as part of the 3% down.

All of this regulation is just talk. No money down is back again just like it was when Fwanks was denying it was a problem.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It's a tax credit. If you buy a house in 2009 you won't see the credit until you file your taxes in 2010. You still have to come up with the full down payment and satisfy the lender that you have the income and stability to carry the mortgage. How is this comparable to a sub-prime loan?
Uh, because the credit increases their disposable income in the year that it hits their 1040. Okay?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:43 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
I bought a house this summer. The approval process was long and arduous. Mortgage approval processes have become more stringent. I filed for the credit. Because there have been fraudulant claims filed, the IRS is freezing and reviewing most of the claims for this credit. It's taking from 12-16 weeks for the initial processing and can take up to six months before the funds are released.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I've purchased real estate and refinanced several times through out my life. Make no doubt, the qualification process is like signing up for a library card, not nearly what it was when I bought my first house. And so the policies of today erode the hard work that I've put into acquiring my home by giving loans to loosers who can't pay them back.

Argue all you want but the facts are the facts. Mortgage practices have and are causing continued de-valuation of property.

Used to be you bought a starter home, lived in it, paid your bills, acquired some equity and, in a few years, you moved up. Now they all just want the 3 to 4 thousand sq. ft. house as a matter of right. Go get a job, work hard, apply discipline and maybe you too can have what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies