Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 01:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times

Advertisements

In light of the very bad economic situation, I don't fault Obama for trying to get the Olympics to America but I have to wonder why he felt he should be the one to go out on such an obviously precarious limb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

183 posts, read 114,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
republicans look stupid.... it makes no sense that they hate america so much they would rather see good paying jobs and something that will unite and lift the country go somewhere else...I have no problem losing the olympics to Rio because SA has never hosted and Brazil is on the come up...but come on...losers would be satisfied coming in last...

When the bill comes in for Rio tell me all about it. Olymipic are almost always a big money loser.

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We gave it a shot, but it wasn't meant to be. Anyone who can turn this into a "bash Obama" moment is retarded.
not retarded ...

just desperate and angry

Old 10-03-2009, 01:25 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Hot Air » Blog Archive » MSNBC moron: Republicans not supporting the Olympics is like Jane Fonda supporting the Vietcong

Dem. are so stupid and only hear them self....maybe this moron should have googled a little bit about Rep. before opening his stupid mouth!

Mitt Romney speaks sense on Obama, Olympics | Jay Bookman

SALT LAKE CITY –Former Massachusetts governor and head of the 2002 Olympic Organizing Committee Mitt Romney says President Obama is doing exactly what needs to be done by flying to Denmark to lobby for the Olympics to come to Chicago in 2016.

Romney tells ABC News that having a sitting president make a personal pitch can make an enormous difference to the 106 members of the International Olympic Committee.

“I think the people in the IOC want to understand the level of the commitment of the host country,” Romney said. “Does the host country really care? Is this going to be a high priority? And nothing says that like having the presence of the leader of that country and, particularly, the case of Barack Obama.”

-----

Or is Mitt Romney a Dem. according to the moron in the first clip?
Suddenly, in your twisted world, Mitt Romney is now representative of the entire Republican party? You actually contend that a single quote by a single individual in the Republican party, contradicts the truth that the loud-mouthed, hateful, ugly, nasty, anti-American Republican mouthpieces were despicably rooting for the United States to fail?

Gee, I thought you were proud that your party was rooting against the President. Yet another example of you people not being able to pick a consistent position and stick to it.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Typical MSNBC crap. Nobody talks about the hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars Obama spent flying to these meetings shilling for his hometown to get the Games.
That was my thought. I understand wanting them here though I think we need to spread it around and I think the cost outweighs any advantage that would be gained. For anyone to say, hundred of thousand jobs would be created is so far off base. I am not saying jobs wouldn't have been created, but the type of jobs wouldn't really help too many. That being said, my big objection was the money it costs us for him to practice his campaigning again.

I don't know about other republicans, but my reason for not wanting them has little to do with Obama and more the cost involved. Why do democrats always think their is a hidden agenda the republicans have when we don't go along with Obama's ideas.

Nita

Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Why do democrats always think their [sic] is a hidden agenda the republicans have when we don't go along with Obama's ideas.

Nita
Having Chicago be the host city for the 2016 Olympics wasn't Obama's idea, Einstein. That makes it 100% obvious that you aren't opposed to the idea of the Olympics being held in Chicago. You're merely opposed to Obama. Full stop. If not, you would've followed the example President Bush set for you. . .

It was barely noticed at the time, but in January 2008, then-President George W. Bush met with the Chicago 2016 Bid Committee and U.S. Olympic Committee members about bringing the 2016 summer games to the city. "They say that the Olympics will come to Chicago if we're fortunate enough to be selected, but really it's coming to America, and I can't think of a better city to represent the United States than Chicago," Bush said.

He added, "This country supports your bid, strongly."

The Washington Monthly

Yet another thing George W. Bush was wrong about, apparently.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
We expect ignorance from MSNBC

Old 10-03-2009, 05:22 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We gave it a shot, but it wasn't meant to be. Anyone who can turn this into a "bash Obama" moment is retarded.
There is every reason to bash 0bama for this, he showed how deeply his inexperience goes. Every news agency assumed 0bama either had the Chicago Olympics vote in the bag, or it was very close, and his personal appearance was all that was needed to make it so. Otherwise they figured he would never have gone there himself. The reporters covering the story were clearly blown away, not only did Chicago not get chosen, but it was never even being considered.

A president does not waste his political capital on something like this unless he is sure of the outcome, so he will not be made to look like a fool. This is like buying a new home in Chicago, because you sent a resume for a new job, and after you move there, the employer tells you they aren't even hiring anyone with your qualifications.

BTW, no other time in our history has a sitting president prostrated himself before the IOC.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM

757 posts, read 802,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
In light of the very bad economic situation, I don't fault Obama for trying to get the Olympics to America but I have to wonder why he felt he should be the one to go out on such an obviously precarious limb?
Because the 3 other countries in the lead for the Olympics sent their leader to "lobby" the Olympics committee?

Old 10-03-2009, 05:37 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why do democrats always think their is a hidden agenda the republicans have when we don't go along with Obama's ideas.
Gee. I don't know.

Why do wingnuts always think that President Obama has a secret plan to destroy America when he's just doing the normal stuff that any president does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies