Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 AM

183 posts, read 114,961 times

Advertisements

“Medicare was the most likely to deny any part of a claim, with a 6.9 percent rate. Aetna was a close second at 6.8 percent while the others ranged from 2.7 percent to 4.6 percent."

Healthcare Economist · Medicare more likely to deny claims than commerical health insurers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Amazing, isn't it;

Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Not very meaningful without $$$ values of the lines denied.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
You also have to look at how many people Medicare serves and how many people the private insurers serve.
From the look of it, Medicare isn't doing all that shabby.

You do have a lot of seniors who go to the doctor because they're lonely or for some it's a social thing.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You also have to look at how many people Medicare serves and how many people the private insurers serve.

You do have a lot of seniors who go to the doctor because they're lonely or for some it's a social thing.
That's why we have percentages to look at. Medicare leads the pack in claims denied.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,372 times
Quote:

I don't care why seniors go to the doctor (but the idea that "a lot" go because they're lonely is patent nonsense) the fact remains that it is doctors, not the patients, who prescribe care and it is that care recommended by a medical professional that is being denied. Obama is proposing 500 billion dollars in Medicare cuts. So be prepared to see the percentage of denials rise dramatically.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:14 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
So all of you who are bemoaning these denied claims, are you for single payer?

Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That's why we have percentages to look at. Medicare leads the pack in claims denied.

We have nothing here, in these charts a $1.98 line denied carries the same weight as a $ 5,000.00 line denied.

BTW, it's claim lines (parts of a claim) denied, NOT claims denied. There's a vast difference in sample sizes here which also takes away from any significant meaning.

Last edited by burdell; 10-06-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,580 times
Quote:

You hit the nail on the head with "some" seniors. I don't doubt that weekly appointments are a series of showing up for one's appointment (have someone drive you if you can't drive yourself any longer and take a few hours of their productivity away), waiting in the doctor's office for 1/2 an hour, having the nurse open up the door and say, "Good morning/afternoon, Mr./Mrs. Jones/Honey, how are you today." Listen to a list of aches, pains, and ailments, take weight and blood pressure. Have the doctor come in for a few minutes, take a look at the chart, and schedule an appointment for next week. Diagnosis: You're old. Nothing's changed since last week except you're a week older. We will all be there. It doesn't mean that I have to be the bottleneck in the healthcare system and deny people who truly NEED to see a doctor from getting their care because I hog up all the money via Medicare. This upsets me royally. Not politically correct to say this? It's how I feel.

P.S. - to the person that said that Medicare leads the pack with claims denied, I find that hard to believe unless there are tons of people taking advantage of the system (this includes patients, doctors, hospitals, etc.). My MIL went to the doctor constantly, had all kinds of procedures done (all paid for by Medicare), had a pace-maker installed at $12,000 a crack. Died a few weeks later because she had umpteenth OTHER things wrong with her because her body was here on this earth a long time. Everything breaks down after how many years, including us. In the meantime, private insurance "death panels" deny life-saving treatment for the working man and woman in this country. Sorry, something is amiss.

Last edited by Donna7; 10-06-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
^^^Is there any research to back this up?

I would hate to see the push for universal health care access, which I support, turn into into an "age war".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies