Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:44 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Nothing existed before Jesus.....so that is not possible.

So, the planet's only 2,000 years old as opposed to the 6,000 claimed by other deniers of science?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, the planet's only 2,000 years old as opposed to the 6,000 claimed by other deniers of science?

read the bible, it will tell you how it all came about.

I do not argue the bible, my beliefs or GOD.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Another Uptighty-Righty unfamiliar with the Constitution are ya?
Ya know, I don't think you are familiar with the Constitution, which reads:

"Congress [addressed to Congress, no one else] shall make no law [this means what it says, there shall be no law made] respecting an establishment of religion [there shall be no law made establishing a religion] or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Reading of the Bible in a school, prayer before a game (should someone want to lead a prayer) etc, etc, etc, do not constitute Congress passing a law establishing a religion.

Notice that the First Amendment does not say that there shall be NO religious practice anywhere near a governmental body or in a public school. It says that the free exercise of religion shall not be prohibited.

We have the worship of God kicked out of public places; but, we allow the worship of nature and the environment, and now (so it seems) even the President of the United States, as god.

Let's get real here, mister.

When you learn to read, perhaps you will understand what the Constitution says. And I didn't have to go to college to learn to read it correctly. That is high school level, simple understanding of the written word. In other words: Plain English! Which is how our Constitution was written. It was intended to be understood by everyone.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
I'm in acceptance of the SCOTUS's ruling on the 2nd amendment.

I am not, I am in favor of what our founding fathers say about the 2nd Amendment. if you apply the teachings of Thomas Jefferson about the seperation of church and state, then you must also apply his teachings concerning the 2nd Amendment.

remember, the national guard in our founding fathers time would have been the tories, who were in collusion with the british, or traitors to their own countryman.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,104,718 times
Quote:
Another Uptighty-Righty unfamiliar with the Constitution are ya?

Democrats + knowledge of the constitution = epic fail

Old 10-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Ya know, I don't think you are familiar with the Constitution, which reads:

"Congress [addressed to Congress, no one else] shall make no law [this means what it says, there shall be no law made] respecting an establishment of religion [there shall be no law made establishing a religion] or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Reading of the Bible in a school, prayer before a game (should someone want to lead a prayer) etc, etc, etc, do not constitute Congress passing a law establishing a religion.

Notice that the First Amendment does not say that there shall be NO religious practice anywhere near a governmental body or in a public school. It says that the free exercise of religion shall not be prohibited.

We have the worship of God kicked out of public places; but, we allow the worship of nature and the environment, and now (so it seems) even the President of the United States, as god.

Let's get real here, mister.

When you learn to read, perhaps you will understand what the Constitution says. And I didn't have to go to college to learn to read it correctly. That is high school level, simple understanding of the written word. In other words: Plain English! Which is how our Constitution was written. It was intended to be understood by everyone.

Worship of the president as god? I can read AND understand quite well thak you, you're writing makes it obvious as to your agenda and your delusions.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Democrats + knowledge of the constitution = epic fail

Well, you know what they say about opinions, which is all you offer, got any FACTS?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LOCKLAND - A Lockland resident has filed a lawsuit against the village, claiming a display of the Ten Commandments outside town hall is unconstitutional.

Christopher Knecht wants the sign removed and a court order to prevent any future displays of "religious fables and myths."

Suit: Remove Ten Commandments | Community Press & Recorder | CommunityPress.com
Oh crap! Not this again.....I still feel sorry for those poor christians who need reminders of the "rules"....they must be so immoral and uncontrolled that they just have to see the "rules" or utter chaos would erupt....it's sad their "rules" just don't "take" so they don't need constant reminders......maybe it's just really low IQ....

Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Freedom of religion, also held to mean freedom from religion is the one that counts.
"[H]eld to mean freedom from religion" by whom? Where is that written? Only in your mind, apparently.

The Amendment means what it says. And the words "freedom of religion" are not there. What it says (again) is: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,..." The phrase, "prohibiting the free exercise thereof", can in no way be construed to mean that we should have "freedom from religion".

The written word was intended to convey ideas. Words mean specific things. To apply some meaning to that phrase which is not there, is to make the written language meaningless. Why bother putting pen to paper if the words mean something different to every reader? It is possible to write in a way that makes the meaning unclear, of course. But the words of the First Amendment are quite clear. "Congress shall make no law ... "; what could be more clear? "[R]especting an establishment of religion..."; I do not see any "gray" here. Congress is prohibited from establishing a State religion (as the Church of England was, as the only officially recognized religion, which is why the founders sought to prohibit it). "[O]r prohibiting the free exercise thereof,"....; We may practice our religion freely as we see fit, Protestants, Catholics, Jews, and the various sects. All are free to worship in their own way.

Quote:
Religion is a creation of man, it's fact that some men lie cheat and steal to better themselves, leaving relgion open to all of man's flaws. It's unnecessary to conform to someone else's ideas to believe in God
"I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

"For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age, and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus."

~Paul, Galatians 1:11-17

Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
"[H]eld to mean freedom from religion" by whom? Where is that written? Only in your mind, apparently.

The Amendment means what it says. And the words "freedom of religion" are not there. What it says (again) is: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,..." The phrase, "prohibiting the free exercise thereof", can in no way be construed to mean that we should have "freedom from religion".

The written word was intended to convey ideas. Words mean specific things. To apply some meaning to that phrase which is not there, is to make the written language meaningless. Why bother putting pen to paper if the words mean something different to every reader? It is possible to write in a way that makes the meaning unclear, of course. But the words of the First Amendment are quite clear. "Congress shall make no law ... "; what could be more clear? "[R]especting an establishment of religion..."; I do not see any "gray" here. Congress is prohibited from establishing a State religion (as the Church of England was, as the only officially recognized religion, which is why the founders sought to prohibit it). "[O]r prohibiting the free exercise thereof,"....; We may practice our religion freely as we see fit, Protestants, Catholics, Jews, and the various sects. All are free to worship in their own way.
NOT when it interferes with someone else's freedom. Or would you enjoy seeing the edicts of every minor religious cult in history plastered over every public building in the land?

Quote:
"I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

"For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age, and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus."

~Paul, Galatians 1:11-17

Thank You for proving my point. As I've said, religion is the creation of man, to quote a man as testifier to a religion only proves that point. The Bible and every other religious text was written by man, leavin them all open to the flaws of mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies