Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NOT when it interferes with someone else's freedom.

Thank You for proving my point. As I've said, religion is the creation of man, to quote a man as testifier to a religion only proves that point. The Bible and every other religious text was written by man, leavin them all open to the flaws of mankind.

goverment interferes with my freedom all the time, I dont see them being called unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:04 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Fact? Where is Jesus cited in the laws of the land? Principles like not killing, not stealing, etc., exist in many cultures having many different Gods, many in existence long before the birth of Christ.
Because the founders were believers, had Bibles, read from them, wrote of and spoke of God often, trusted to God in all their endeavors, etc., etc. It is just plain foolish and ignorant to assert that their religious beliefs were not a part of their though processes. At one time even, one had to declare belief in Jesus Christ as savior in order to hold public office.

This idea that we were not founded as a Christian nation is purely an attempt to wipe out every vestige of religion (especially Christianity) from American life and culture. But in order to do this, most of our American History must be re-written, ignored, or destroyed entirely.

This is what you are attempting to do. Why?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I believe you're the one confused here.

As I've said, much of your so-called moral foundation existed long before Jesus.
This is true. I came from the time of Moses and the Ten Commandments.

But the fact remains, most of the Founders of this nation were Christians. Some have attempted to prove otherwise, but they distort the facts.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Nothing existed before Jesus.....so that is not possible.
Oh, that's bound to throw a brick in his path! LOL He will not understand that at all, I'm afraid! But I'll let you explain it to him.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is true. I came from the time of Moses and the Ten Commandments.

But the fact remains, most of the Founders of this nation were Christians. Some have attempted to prove otherwise, but they distort the facts.
What religion the founders were has NOTHING to do with christians trying to shove their religion down other's throats with displays on PUBLIC PROPERTY.

It's a sorry story if christianity has to ADVERTISE or disappear.....if it was that great people would be signing up like crazy...

Isn't it sick how christians scream they don't want good health care because some poor person might get a penny of their tax dollars but don't care if other's tax dollars go to promoting the rightists religion.....no logic or reason as usual....

Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
NOT when it interferes with someone else's freedom. Or would you enjoy seeing the edicts of every minor religious cult in history plastered over every public building in the land?

Thank You for proving my point. As I've said, religion is the creation of man, to quote a man as testifier to a religion only proves that point. The Bible and every other religious text was written by man, leavin them all open to the flaws of mankind.
I have no problem with the words of the religion of our founders (Christianity) being displayed prominently on our buildings. That is our American Heritage. We are who we are. We are not a people of "every minor religeous cult".

Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What religion the founders were has NOTHING to do with christians trying to shove their religion down other's throats with displays on PUBLIC PROPERTY.

It's a sorry story if christianity has to ADVERTISE or disappear.....if it was that great people would be signing up like crazy...

Isn't it sick how christians scream they don't want good health care because some poor person might get a penny of their tax dollars but don't care if other's tax dollars go to promoting the rightists religion.....no logic or reason as usual....

charity starts at home and from ones own pocketbook. charity is not the federal goverment stealing from 1 person just so he can give it to another.

thats theft.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
charity starts at home and from ones own pocketbook. charity is not the federal goverment stealing from 1 person just so he can give it to another.

thats theft.
Your whole of idea of taxes is so skewed as to be incomprehensible....the government isn't stealing your money, it's operating a country.

But as a rightist you don't want to support our country which makes you a traitor.

But it's OK with you if the government "steals" money to accomodate YOUR religion on MY property?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Your whole of idea of taxes is so skewed as to be incomprehensible....the government isn't stealing your money, it's operating a country.

But as a rightist you don't want to support our country which makes you a traitor.

But it's OK with you if the government "steals" money to accomodate YOUR religion on MY property?

sorry, i am not a righty in the way of a conservative.

I dont mind the goverment take some to actually run the country, but all else is nothing but theft.

I dont think that religion should be in anyones home that does not want it, just like I feel that the goverment should be allowed to steal more money than it needs to run the country, I also dont think that goverment has any right at all to abridge the freedom of any citizen their constitutional rights at all, to include the 1st 10 Amendments of the Constitution.

btw, tell me how taking money from 1 class of citizens and giving to another class of citizens or countries is operating a country?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy
This idea that we were not founded as a Christian nation is purely an attempt to wipe out every vestige of religion (especially Christianity) from American life and culture. But in order to do this, most of our American History must be re-written, ignored, or destroyed entirely.
But the legal document for which the below was written... was indeed signed by Congress:

Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
/thread

Personally, I don't care either way because it doesn't affect me. If people's own moral beliefs are so weak that they need a reminder of what their religion dictates (hey, they're the ones in court), then that's on them. In this case, I think that if the display is a part of the structure of the courthouse, then they should stay. Why waste the money? However, if it's just a picture on the wall, it should be taken down. Either that or display the main laws of other religions as well. ((Is it really so hard to treat all religions equally?))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies