Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama himself shocked by the decision?
Yes, Obama himself was bewildered and wondered what drugs the committee is on 165 70.21%
No, Obama felt fully deserving of the award. Whether the award would come was never in question. 70 29.79%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times

Advertisements

I'm a strong Obama supporter, but this Nobel prize was too much too soon.

They're undermining the prestige of their award when they make such high-profile awards of this nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Why would giving money to the poor upset right-wingers?
I am a right-winger and I donate to charities.... Children International and Covenant House are two examples.

And I can assure you that I am not an "ulcer producing rightist."

Perhaps you can try to make a post which is not so ridiculously inaccurate?
First: this thread is not about me...although most things are.

Second: The rightists are against anything, like paying taxes, that aid anyone but themselves. They hate the thought of health care reform because some poor person might benefit.

Third: It's easy to post how much you give , there is no proof, no way to judge your accuracy..

Fourth: If you think the righites aren't eaten up with hatred you haven't read this thread.

Fifth: "Fourth" is what makes me happy....this has been a fun thread for me!

And all the above is accurate.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

...They panicked, and tapped Palin believing that she would draw away the Hillary voters, as if one woman is the same as the next. They were wrong again. ...we as a people are closer to achieving the full promise of our republic...
Even though I loved your entire post, I just had to repeat those parts I just loved the most ... so very well said!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
First: this thread is not about me...although most things are.

Second: The rightists are against anything, like paying taxes, that aid anyone but themselves. They hate the thought of health care reform because some poor person might benefit.

Third: It's easy to post how much you give , there is no proof, no way to judge your accuracy..

Fourth: If you think the righites aren't eaten up with hatred you haven't read this thread.

Fifth: "Fourth" is what makes me happy....this has been a fun thread for me!

And all the above is accurate.
I KNOW! LOLOL It has been fun...and VERY revealing hasn't it? Excellent post!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
An Affirmative Action Award for accomplishing nothing to an Affirmative Action President for doing nothing. Makes perfect sense to me.

Only mental midgets and terrorists are ever awarded the Nobel Peace Prize anyway, so it was a very good choice. Now which is Obama, a mental midget or a terrorist?

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm a strong Obama supporter, but this Nobel prize was too much too soon.

They're undermining the prestige of their award when they make such high-profile awards of this nature.

That was an initial worry, but the more I read and listened the more sense it made. It isn't unprecedented; the NPC explained their choice well:

Obama: Nobel Peace Prize is 'call to action' - CNN.com

[quoted from article]

"The Nobel committee recognized Obama's efforts at dialogue to solve complex global problems, including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons. Watch CNN's Christiane Amanpour's analysis »
"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.
Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease. Watch the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize announcement »
He rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 for his efforts to open up the Soviet Union. Ed Rollins: Obama now must earn it
"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population," the committee said of Obama. Listen to Jagland explain why Obama was this year's choice » [end quote]
The fact that it was a unanimous decision says much.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I don't often agree with Ms Noonan, but she does make me think about things, right, wrong, or indifferent. She hits the nail squarely on the head with this opinion. And just because it's on the Patriot Post doesn't mean it isn't elsewhere, so bite me if you don't like the source.

A Wicked and Ignorant Award — The Patriot Post
Many on the Left agree with her, as I've posted throughout this thread. They know it does nothing to help obama. The award opens people's eyes to the fact - he hasn't done "jack squat" as SNL so eloquently put it.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 PM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
Bernard Madoff won the Nobel prize for economics so Obama is in very good company.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Bernard Madoff won the Nobel prize for economics so Obama is in very good company.
WTF are you talking about?????

LINK!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
And of course, you have a link for that...right? Using that logic, Barack Obama was elected president, so George W. Bush is in good company.
Maybe just copy where you find Madoff and post that.

Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies