Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

It is also for a job that thanks to the union negotiation, now will earn the person about $6/hour less than previously...

Happy days indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
We had 700 people apply for one position as a teller in the treasurer's office here at the city. One position.....700 people. Do you know how much a pain in the ass that was to score all those written exams? Plus do the background checks on everyone....the eligible list still isnt done.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Wow. Another "blame Obama" thread.

Yes, it's Obama's fault that 10,000 people applied for 90 jobs.

Get real.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
When my wife was a elem. principal there were 3-500 apps for every job.
When I was a office clerk we used to receive about 250-300 applications for one position. I know because I had to send cards to all the people and thank them for applying but letting them know the position had been filled. This was probably 2001-2002.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
When I was a office clerk we used to receive about 250-300 applications for one position. I know because I had to send cards to all the people and thank them for applying but letting them know the position had been filled. This was probably 2001-2002.
When I worked at the recruiting agency, I had to ENTER them all into a system. Every resume! And like I said, that was prior to everyone using email/internet (this was, I want to say around 1997). I can only imagine how many they get now that people can simply email them off.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:07 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
As previously mentioned in this thread, that equates to about 100 per job. During the boom in the 90's, I was a recruiter for an employment agency. The pile of resumes we received for each job was tremendous, easily over 100 per position.

I can only imagine how many work we'd have been wading through if we had the capability to post jobs online and have people email resumes... this was back in the day when everyone faxed everything in.
I beg to differ

My wife was an IT recruiter in the 90's who earned over 200K per year because there was so much demand for qualified help. Yes, for NT admins, MCSE's and help desk people, there were many resumes per job opening. However, for software programmers, software and hardware engineers, it was very competitive and you had to compete for talent. Kids out of college were getting jobs for 60K in the IT industry even if they were not engineers. Business people could go into recruiting, HR or serve as consultants and business analysts. English majors could get jobs as technical writers. There were many sales positions related to these companies that anyone could essentially qualify for. All of that ended when venture capital companies stopped funding failing companies (dotcoms) and established companies began outsourcing to India. Those same programmers, engineers and college grads that were in demand were suddenly scrambling for work. So it's a bald faced lie to say that this same thing occurred in the 90's. That comment is beyond ludicrous.

There was so much demand for help that a person with no experience recruiting could join an IT recruiting company and make 6 figures beause the commission on each job placement was so high. Companies were willing to pay 15-20K to hire a programmer. That industry is almost dead now but it should tell you how much better the economy was back then wen recruiters were being paid thousands to recruit people with just 2 years or experience or even college grads with computer science degrees. Now you have 10,000 people applying for 90 blue collar jobs that pay less than 30K.

p.s. People were e-maiing resumes in 1997! Where did you live...West Viriginia. You certainly didn't live in California or the Bay area for that matter

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-09-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
2001 is when the poop hit the fan. That's when the dotcoms went belly up and the massive outsourcing occurred. I had a friend who was hired by Cisco in 2000 to recruit for 20,000 employees. In 2001, he was layed off and they told him they were going to lay off 20,000 employees instead because they were going to outsource. So it's not suprising that occurred in 2001-2002.

The truth is the housing crisis we feel today is connected to 2001. When the outsourcing resulted in massive layoffs and unemployment, Bush sought to stabilize the economy by lowering the interest rates. We kept lowering interest rates to stir the economy by increasing the cosumer driven market. The idea is that reduced interest rates would increase spending behavior which would improve the economy. It did for a short period of time and you know the rest.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I beg to differ

My wife was an IT recruiter in the 90's who earned over 200K per year because there was so much demand for qualified help. Yes, for NT admins, MCSE's and help desk people, there were many resumes per job opening. However, for software programmers, software and hardware engineers, it was very competitive and you had to compete for talent. Kids out of college were getting jobs for 60K in the IT industry even if they were not engineers. Business people could go into recruiting, HR or serve as consultants and business analysts. English majors could get jobs as technical writers. There were many sales positions related to these companies that anyone could essentially qualify for. All of that ended when venture capital companies stopped funding failing companies (dotcoms) and established companies began outsourcing to India. Those same programmers, engineers and college grads that were in demand were suddenly scrambling for work. So it's a bald faced lie to say that this same thing occurred in the 90's. That comment is beyond ludicrous.

There was so much demand for help that a person with no experience recruiting could join an IT recruiting company and make 6 figures beause the commission on each job placement was so high. Companies were willing to pay 15-20K to hire a programmer. That industry is almost dead now but it should tell you how much better the economy was back then wen recruiters were being paid thousands to recruit people with just 2 years or experience or even college grads with computer science degrees. Now you have 10,000 people applying for 90 blue collar jobs that pay less than 30K.

p.s. People were e-maiing resumes in 1997! Where did you live...West Viriginia. You certainly didn't live in California or the Bay area for that matter
I worked in Manhattan for one of the largest recruiting firms in the world. We did not use email when I worked there from 1996-1998. Every resume came in via fax, mail or in person. I then worked at a very large credit card company, and you had to apply for permission to have internet access. I have always worked at large corps and did not start to see email and internet being widely used until about 2000.

You are talking about people with college degrees vs. people with no degrees. The field I worked in placed people with no degrees, and guess what, you get a CRAPLOAD of applicants.

And yes - we received hundreds of resumes per job. I was not an IT recruiter. We placed people in entry level office jobs so EVERYONE applied.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And here the MSM and government are telling us the ratio of people to jobs is 6:1.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Come on. 10000 divided by 90 = 111, roughly.

I was barely awake at 6am, when I divided 10,000 by 90 in my head, and came up with 110.

Guess 7 Wishes needs to work on his/her math skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies