Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Enjoy my money while it lasts, because I know there'll be none for me when I retire. This is why I choose the path of personal responsibility. Perhaps you should have tried it when you were still young, but you chose to trust the government insted. Well, tough luck, because we went bankcupt over the years and now we can't afford to pay your bills anymore.
The government has been borrowing (stealing) our money. I don't know how you got out of paying taxes, fica and social security taxes, but bully for you. The majority of Americans are forced to have their hard earned money stolen from them from the politicians and now they don't want to give it back to those it rightfully belongs. If you think it's bad now, wait a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
wdavid002When did we Declare War on the Aged?

...As soon as it became too expensive to keep them alive...
This is why I support birth control.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You beat me to it, its part of the Obama plan, steal from those who have earned a living and hand it to bums on the street because it is their right and it is owed to them.

Been asleep for years? Haven't noticed the stealing from the workers and handing it to bums in places like Vietnam, Chile, Iran, Iraq, et. ?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you haven't heard Bill Maher talking about how Oba mao has to take them, you, me and the rest, by the hand and lead them to socialized medicine because they are all so stupid. Maher didn't say anything about only some of us, only them.

Sure haven't, try to avoid political entertainment, it usually isn't entertaining.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
The government has been borrowing (stealing) our money. I don't know how you got out of paying taxes, fica and social security taxes, but bully for you. The majority of Americans are forced to have their hard earned money stolen from them from the politicians and now they don't want to give it back to those it rightfully belongs. If you think it's bad now, wait a couple years.
No, I didn't get out of it. I pay through my nose, and the money is redistributed to the elderly. I've been doing that all my life. I'm not complaining, but it is redistribution of wealth at its best. But I also know that by the time I retire, I will not be paid the same way they are paid. So, I choose to take my retirement saving efforts into my own hands as opposed to letting government take care of it.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
No, I didn't get out of it. I pay through my nose, and the money is redistributed to the elderly. I've been doing that all my life. I'm not complaining, but it is redistribution of wealth at its best. But I also know that by the time I retire, I will not be paid the same way they are paid. So, I choose to take my retirement saving efforts into my own hands as opposed to letting government take care of it.
I get your point, but it's not "suppose" to be redistribution. It's "suppose" to be they take your money now then pay you back later. You are "suppose" to get back what you put in with interest. Now, when they take the money from you up front they distribute it to the needy. That's the way it's "suppose" to work. Unfortunately we are forced to give our money to a bunch of 5 year olds.
I personally do not like the system, but if you don't give them your money they'll come and break your legs (figure of speech, I don't mean it literally).
I guess this goes back to the original post of the young waging war on the old.
When do you become old? Being 40 I'm starting to get worried? Where do I belong?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
The Bush Admin raising the cost of their prescriptions was a good start

Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I get your point, but it's not "suppose" to be redistribution. It's "suppose" to be they take your money now then pay you back later. You are "suppose" to get back what you put in with interest. Now, when they take the money from you up front they distribute it to the needy. That's the way it's "suppose" to work. Unfortunately we are forced to give our money to a bunch of 5 year olds.
This is a myth. From the very beginning, Social Security was designed so that current earners would pay taxes that would support the benefits of current beneficiaries. How could it ever have been otherwise?

That said, there have only been eleven years in which the amount paid into the trust fund has been less than the amount paid out. The most recent of these years was 1981.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It saddens me to read the replies to my inquiry, realizing how accurate my assessment was -- it appears that most respondents believe that to grow old is to grow useless.
Perhaps I'm in the minority then - I don't see how we "made war" on the elderly. I don't see our society's treatment of seniors as being one of deliberately inflicting harm.

Absolutely, our society has changed over the years, moving away from having multi-generational households. And I think it has been to the detriment of all, especially children.

But a deliberate attack? No, I just don't see it. If anything, the passage of Social Security and Medicare enabled seniors to continue to live on their own (if so desired) or to live with family without placing undue financial burdens on the family.

Seniors as a group are much stronger than I think many people realize. And as their ranks grow with baby boomers, they'll just get stronger. Much of this country's wealth, and a whole lot of this country's intelligence, experience, and common sense reside in our seniors.
Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be.
The last of life, for which the first was made.
- - - -Robert Browning "'Rabbi Ben Ezra"

Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do you mean to say that you agree with privatization? There really was something about Bush and his ideas you approved of? I can't do that on GT either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies