Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is if fair that we have to work on our Holy Days?
Yes 36 66.67%
No 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,583,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
NO. All employees do not get religious holidays off. It is up to the business. If you don't like it, open your own business and make your own rules. Anther option would be to return to a country that observes and supports that religion.
Why? This is the USA where ALL faiths and all races are supposed to equal. You seem to be forgetting that.

I am for the people whereas you are for the businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You are mixing it up. These are national holidays. NOT religious.

Again, take it up with your employer. What other choice do you have?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,583,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Again, take it up with your employer. What other choice do you have?
You say it very casually. Would you like working on Christmas (if you are a Christian)?

Indians consider Diwali a very big celebration. Meanwhile, I can understand an employers concern if the holiday was 5 days long but this is one day.

I think it was wrong of my fathers boss to assign my dad to work despite him saying he could not.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:44 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,910,618 times
I am not religious and as such have no allegiance to the accepted public holidays of a religious nature in my country, however I do recognize that a majority of people in my country have organized for particular holidays to be observed.

Most of the time I observe my own rituals and customs on these days simply because that time is made available to me along with everyone else for whatever rituals and customs they would like to observe. It also means it's the one time of the year when MOST of my family and friends will also be available. That's a good thing.

On the odd occasion when there have been things of importance that I would like to observe that fall outside the accepted public holidays in my country then I negotiate with my employer and my colleagues.

Living in a country where Christmas and Boxing Day are observed as public holidays it's really not that difficult to find people that are interested in having you cover their shift in lieu of them returning the favour at a time more suitable for yourself. I don't know too many employers that have a problem with that.

If the whole place closes down then so be it. It is the culture of the country I live in and I accept that.

I'll also add that I don't have a problem with the fact that I live in a predominantly Christian country where particular holidays are observed even though I am not religious.
I don't expect the whole country to change its culture simply because it's not one that I share.

The same would apply if I was in another country other than my own.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:56 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
Religious holidays aren't always a given, many people need to take PTO if they want to stay home. Employers traditionally offer time off at Christmas but it's not always for religious reasons that people take it. At this point it's just woven into society that people will take time off to see family, and kids will be home from school, at that time of year. Whether for religious or secular reasons, everyone can take advantage of it.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,290,873 times
No, I do not think that every religion should get their "holy day" off automatically!

If you want it off - then request it off. If you have personal leave time - use it. But, don't expect your employer to automatically give you that day as a paid day off.

Not all employers give Christmas off as a paid holiday off. I believe the Original Poster is confused about this fact.

And yes - I have worked on Christmas.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:21 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,290,873 times
Quote:
You say it very casually. Would you like working on Christmas (if you are a Christian)?

Indians consider Diwali a very big celebration. Meanwhile, I can understand an employers concern if the holiday was 5 days long but this is one day.

I think it was wrong of my fathers boss to assign my dad to work despite him saying he could not.
Your father could have taken a vacation day off - that would have been fair.

And while I can appreciate that in your culture, this day is a "special" day - I cannot expect your fathers employer - or any employer to recognize ever cultures "special" day and automatically give every person that day off with pay.

Even with Christmas: Not ever Christian is given that day off with pay.

Didn't you know this?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
Quote:
Theliberalvoice;11225660]You say it very casually. Would you like working on Christmas (if you are a Christian)?
I sometimes do work on Christmas. It's part of my job. It's part of my responsibility as a man with a family.

It's not unfair, I don't pout about it, I do it when it's necessary.

Your father, being a man, can relate to it, I'm sure.

Quote:
Then work for an Indian company.

Quote:
Your father had an option. Did he take it?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:

There's lots of Christians that work Christmas that have no choice in the matter.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,246,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There's lots of Christians that work Christmas that have no choice in the matter.
Exactly. Police, firefighters, doctors, military, just to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies