Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is if fair that we have to work on our Holy Days?
Yes 36 66.67%
No 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times

Advertisements

^You do it. It's one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Black Friday???
The friday after Thanksgiving. I believe that was forced upon us to facilitate the female employees who actually like to shop on black friday.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I should get St. Patrick's Day off. And of course, being true to my heritage, the day after to recover.

It's only fair.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Let's say you're the administrator of a hospital in a small community and all the nurses working there are Hindu. Now all of them come to you and request Diwali off, what do you do?
I have worked in a small hospital where something similar happened, and you split the shifts. I am not a practicing Christian, and always volunteered to work over Christmas, even though there were those that insisted they couldn't work on Christmas who did not display the most Christian-like behaviour. I would have loved to have spent more Christmases with my family, but never minded covering shifts of Eid, Diwali, or whatever. Is it really asking too much that we show a little consideration to others?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Let's say you're the administrator of a hospital in a small community and all the nurses working there are Hindu. Now all of them come to you and request Diwali off, what do you do?
You give it off just like you would if it was Christians who wanted Christmas off.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigodobob View Post
If that were the case, we would be in vacation 24/7.
There is an abundance of religions in the world, and it is not possible to abide by all of them.

Even though the US is "separated" from the church, christianism is widely accepted.

Now imagine a US citizen going to India or Bangladesh and telling his boss "Hey tommorow is 4th of july, can I have a day off?," The guy would probably be laughed at then ignored.

I imagine you being a teenager or a child, so a word of advice: Never take religion personally because the same way you have a strong conviction of your religion, another person may have one of theirs.

well said.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You give it off just like you would if it was Christians who wanted Christmas off.

I am Catholic, celebrate Christmas.
I am a nurse..who worked in a hospital for 17yrs (now SAHM)....they could NEVER give every nurse on the floor/hospital off on Christmas-who wanted it, that is just insane to even suggest, as you did.

So, since someone pointed out that your 'holiday' is 5 days long, does your father also expect to be given 5 days off???

If I were him, I'd take a 5 day vacation, if it's that important to him.

Does he expect to get paid for celebrating these 5 days? I wouldn't expect him to.

I know if I my husband as a police sgt has been scheduled to work on a holiday, and decides to take it 'off', he USES HIS VACATION TIME.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I am Catholic, celebrate Christmas.
I am a nurse..who worked in a hospital for 17yrs (now SAHM)....they could NEVER give every nurse on the floor/hospital off on Christmas-who wanted it, that is just insane to even suggest, as you did.

So, since someone pointed out that your 'holiday' is 5 days long, does your father also expect to be given 5 days off???

If I were him, I'd take a 5 day vacation, if it's that important to him.

Does he expect to get paid for celebrating these 5 days? I wouldn't expect him to.

I know if I my husband as a police sgt has been scheduled to work on a holiday, and decides to take it 'off', he USES HIS VACATION TIME.

I have said it many times that it is ONLY one day he requested off. I like your skills. You really read and comprehend well.

No, he did not expect to get paid. It would be nice though. Like how when you work on "Christmas", you get paid extra.

Sure, they could not give every single nurse "Christmas" off. Some nurses might want to work it for extra money. They are bound to have non Christians working there too.

I do not worry about these things. I worry about the people versus worrying about the poor little businesses. Life is too short. You should enjoy your religious holiday. You have the rest of your life to work. I saying this an atheist who does not celebrate any main holidays.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:57 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is an ignorant statement because American culture consists of HER culture in addition to other cultures. I remember when Jewish holidays were not recognized and people were not given time off to celebrate those holidays. It's just a form of xenophobic sentiment. It is YOUR job to recognize that more and more U.S. CITIZENS are not Caucasian and Christian and because they are citizens, they have the same rights as you and are not any less American than you. It is you who are confused not the OP.

And for the record, I don't recall people saying they don't respect Christmas or that Christmas shouldn't be celebrated. They are asking that you respect their faith as well. No one is asking that Diwali be a national holliday or that everyone should celebrate it but someone should be allowed the day off to celebrate their holliday. The last I checked, this country was not called The United States of White Christians even though some backward individuals mistakenly believe so.

I know some people will read this and say "Oh he is just being liberal or is a closet liberal' This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with being an American and having common sense. It shouldn't be a difficult concept for any American to grasp that our culture comprises of many different cultures and that we should show respect for our fellow Americans regardless of their background. If you can't recognize something as simple as that then you really don't understand what being an American is all about. Again, I'm a conservative and I will fight for an Evangelical's right to pray in school just like I will fight for a Hindu to be able to take Diwali off.
I agree with your sentiment but why do you and others view Christianity as a caucasian holiday? Christianity originated in the Middle East and you will find Christians among every race in my church alone and throughout this country.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
I will make them take turns just like we allow physicians to take turns when taking time off Christmas and Thanksgiving. It's not hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies