Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Julia Stiles......not exactly a white female A-Lister.

Pretty obscure movie as well. But no one is saying that there are absolutely no Black male/White Female couplings (as in that movie). But there significantly more White male on Black Female out there.
Wow this movie was obsucre? news to me because for awhile it seemed like it was one of those IT movies that was in constant rotation on every channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,556,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Like with anything else, Hollywood is evolving. In one of the hottest and most sought after television shows 90210 and Melrose Place, both involve interracial couples. In 90210, the lead Black male has a white Gilfriend (Silver) who is a nother lead. In 90210, there is also a Persian male who is dating a white girl. In Melrose place, two of the leads are engaged and live together. There is also an Asian woman who is a physician and postitute who has engaged in sex with White and Black men. I think this issue is still a taboo among the 35+ age but in the younger demographis particularly the 25 and under crowd racial taboos like this don't really exist.

You have to understand that Hollywood has come a long way. In the past, they wouldn't hire minorities to play minority roles let alone non-minority roles. They would hire white men in black face. And as recently as the 90's, they would hire White people for Hispanic roles like casting Marisa Tomei as a Cuban in the Perez family. Now, Latin roles will go to Latin people. Furthermore, television shows especially the modern Star Trek shows will have African Americans in lead roles. I think HOllywood has come a long way but yes you still see the interracial taboo as the one Will Smith mentioned. However in 5 years, I don't that will be an issue either.

Television is hardly the silver screen. And these are relatively unknown actors......

Heck...I didn't even know 90210 was back on TV. But maybe TV is willing to do more of what film is afraid to touch.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,556,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Wow this movie was obsucre? news to me because for awhile it seemed like it was one of those IT movies that was in constant rotation on every channel.
The "Marine" is in rotation too.... it's cable TV. They play all kinds of movies.

"Save the Last Dance" usally shows up on VH-1 or MTV.

I didn't say it wasn't decent. But it is definitely obscure. Just sayin...

Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Television is hardly the silver screen. A nd these are relatively unknown actors......

Heck...I didn't even know 90210 was back on TV. But maybe TV is willing to do more of what film is afraid to touch.
Guess what, more people are watching television than movies these days. With Netflix and all these home movie channels being available not to mention DVR, people are shunning movies for television. Despite our larger and growing population, movie attendance is down. It's also why you see more original and free programming outside the networks on channels like FX, Bravo, and AMC. To be honest, I don't even know what's playing in theatres since I rarely go to the movies. Seriously, why am I going to pay $20 for crap that I can receive on Netflix for free 4 months later.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times
Quote:
The "Marine" is in rotation too.... it's cable TV. They play all kinds of movies.

"Save the Last Dance" usally shows up on VH-1 or MTV.

I didn't say it wasn't decent. But it is definitely obscure. Just sayin...
And TBS and TNT and FX and Oxygen...for a while I couldn't get away from that damn movie. Every time I turn around there they are doing those stupid dance steps when everybody knows that in the real world you would get clowned out the club and you and your boyfriend starting doing choregraphed moves in the middle of the dance floor.

I don't think I've ever heard of The Marine though who was in it?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Are they considered interracial?

After all Andy Garcia, Anthony Quinn, Antonio Banderas are all Latin and have been with plenty of 'white' women in movies. No one even gives it a second thought.

Martin Sheen, Charlie Sheen born as Carlos Irwin Estévez (son) and Emilio "young guns" Estevez (son) are not ' aryan white' either. Martin's father was Francisco Estévez was Spanish. Didn't you ever wonder where Emilio Estevez got his name. He changed it back from Sheen, which is Martin's and Charlie's screen name.

I don't consider Latino/"Anglo" marriages to be interracial --- unless they ARE interracial. Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake? Not interracial. Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards? Not interracial.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't consider Latino/"Anglo" marriages to be interracial --- unless they ARE interracial. Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake? Not interracial. Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards? Not interracial.
What do you define as Latino? Is Mario Lopez Latino in your opinion?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How about Adam Sandlers and Paz Vega? Adam Sandlers could pass for a Latino. He is Jewish, of course.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What do you define as Latino? Is Mario Lopez Latino in your opinion?
A Latino is someone who hails from a Spanish speaking country. If Mr. And Mrs. from Sweden moved to Colombia and had a kid, their kid would be "Latino."

We don't lump all Americans into some artificial race category, right? Even though we share a landmass and the same GENERAL culture and language? No difference for Latin American countries.

Too many in America (white AND black) have this idea in their head that to be white means you have to look like Hitler's ideal. I am half Portuguese (my father is from Portugal). I have green eyes and brown hair, and could never tell I have LATIN in me, except that my last name is Spanish/Portuguese. My full blooded Portuguese cousins have black hair and look darker than Jennifer Lopez (who TANS, by the way), yet my cousins are white and J-Lo gets the "Latina woman of color" label. Interestingly, my cousins' mother is half-English, and has blonde hair. Really, I don't care if a millenium ago an Arab conqueror or Moor screwed an ancestor during the expansion of the Caliphate. I don't subscribe to Arab/North African identity, and the one drop rule is not enough for me to run around saying, "um, yeah, I'm not white cause I probably got some Moorish in me from 1000 years ago."

The way race is discussed in this country is ridiculous. Both racist whites and minorities wishing to diminish white representation population wise seem to have an obnoxious adherence to the "one drop rule" --- which, sorry folks, doesn't work in the "rest of the world." There are very few "pure anything" people. SOOOO many Cubans in Miami are a testament to the stupidity. Half the time you can't even tell unless they tell you their last name. Half will assert their "whiteness" even if you can tell there's something "more" going on, while others, white as snow, but by virtue of merely being "Latino" will talk about "white people" or "Anglos" as if they've forgotten that even the Anglos and Iberians can trace back common ancestors.

Last edited by TriMT7; 10-19-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How about Adam Sandlers and Paz Vega? Adam Sandlers could pass for a Latino. He is Jewish, of course.
Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek show how America is f-ed up on race.

Cruz is Spanish. Hayek is Mexican. They look the same in general. If they weren't famous, one would get a minority scholarship. The other gets lumped in as if she was running with the blue bloods from Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies