Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek show how America is f-ed up on race.

Cruz is Spanish. Hayek is Mexican. They look the same in general. If they weren't famous, one would get a minority scholarship. The other gets lumped in as if she was running with the blue bloods from Connecticut.
I'm not following you there. I think most people think Penelope is from Mexico, like Salma.

Wasn't Tom Cruise dating Penelope Cruz? I think so, but I don't remember any outrage about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'm not following you there. I think most people think Penelope is from Mexico, like Salma.

Wasn't Tom Cruise dating Penelope Cruz? I think so, but I don't remember any outrage about it.
I'm confused by that comment as well

Old 10-19-2009, 12:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,433,940 times
Penelope Cruz was born in Madrid, Spain.

The point is exactly that what people THINK and what is REALITY is different.

In America:

"Cruz" is a white European woman.

"Hayek" is a "latina woman of color."

Is there REALLY a difference between the two women?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
Quote:
Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek show how America is f-ed up on race.

Cruz is Spanish. Hayek is Mexican. They look the same in general. If they weren't famous, one would get a minority scholarship. The other gets lumped in as if she was running with the blue bloods from Connecticut.
Salma is half Lebanese. Her father is Lebanese and mother is Mexican.

Nonetheless, I agree with your previous response 100%. We do make an issue of race way too much. Even the Greek/Lebanese/Turkish distinction is slight. It's essentially the same people but Greek carries the "white" label while Turkish people carry the "Arab" label.

I do disagree that Europeans don't make this a big deal. In Eastern Europe, Romani people or Gypsies are those whose far ancestor's hailed from India. They are European. They are Christian. They appear European with darker hair yet because of their ancestors they are treated and described like a separate race. In my experience, Europeans are far more racist than Americans. Most Americans don't realize that because Europe to them is spending a week in London or Paris. Spain and Eastern Europe is ridiculously racist. They throw bananas and chant monkey at Black soccer players and hold Nazi flags in the crowds openly. Europe's version of Michael Jordan, Tieri Henri says he receives racist chants from his own Parisians during games. Could you imagine if someone went to a Bulls game and threw a banana at Michael Jordan and called him a N#$$3, his @#43 would be thrown out of the game and jailed. In Europe, it's a common occurrence.

There is this faux "everything in Europe is better" and that's usually proposed by Europeans themselves (not suprising) or Americans who have not studied or spent any real time in Europe which I have.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Penelope Cruz was born in Madrid, Spain.

The point is exactly that what people THINK and what is REALITY is different.

In America:

"Cruz" is a white European woman.

"Hayek" is a "latina woman of color."

Is there REALLY a difference between the two women?
Like I said most people think they are both Mexicans, hence they receive identical treatement.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said most people think they are both Mexicans, hence they receive identical treatement.
I think there is a difference in gender. Hispanic women are accepted to be beautiful, exotic and strong whereas Hispanic men are still viewed differently(migrant farmers, laborers and drug dealers) which is why you don't see the same number of Hispanic men in entertaintment as you do with Hispanic women.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,433,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think there is a difference in gender. Hispanic women are accepted to be beautiful, exotic and strong whereas Hispanic men are still viewed differently(migrant farmers, laborers and drug dealers) which is why you don't see the same number of Hispanic men in entertaintment as you do with Hispanic women.
I disagree completely. Hispanic men are well represented in the American media. Antonio Banderas, The Esteves' Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias.... "tall dark and handsome" the "Latin Lover" stereotype has inured to Latin mens' benefit for years, lol. It's an often undeserved reputation, lol!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yeah I've noticed that, they always use words like "exotic" when describing Hispanic women. There's nothing exotic about Jennifer Lopez. She's just "a white woman with a taco" and a little extra booty - I think she probably stole her booty from Michelle Williams cause she certainly looks like she missing some.

I love how Jennifer's accent comes and goes depending on whose talking to her

Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I disagree completely. Hispanic men are well represented in the American media. Antonio Banderas, The Esteves' Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias.... "tall dark and handsome" the "Latin Lover" stereotype has inured to Latin mens' benefit for years, lol. It's an often undeserved reputation, lol!
First of all, the Esteves are barely Hispanic and when Charlie Sheen is cast, he is not thought of as a Hispanic. Antonio Banderas is from Spain not Mexico. Ricky Martin and Enrqiue are singers not actors. Compare them to the sheer number of Hispanic actresses and it's not even close.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,802,913 times
Does Will Smith have a point?? Is there still some squimishness of behalf of Hollywood on this?

I honestly cannot believe it matters. When Hollywood becomes the purveyor of what is or is not acceptable, its time to leave the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies