Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,767,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I honestly believe that there are Americans who would gladly live in cardboard boxes, survive on water, and store brand Saltines, just to see the whole chunk called Iran removed forever. And they mean it. No matter who dies. It would be okay with them to wear holey socks, and eat at the mission once a day just to be able to lift a cup of egg nog and salivate about how grand it was to watch the Zionists eliminate Iran in one fell swoop.
I honestly believe that there are Iranians who would gladly live in caves, survive on water, and field baked pita, just to see the whole chunk called Israel removed forever. And they mean it. No matter who dies. It would be okay with them to wear holey headwraps, and eat fireside out in the cold once a day, just to be able to lift their wicked smiles to Allah and salivate about how grand it was to watch their extremest brothers eliminate Israel in one fell swoop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,953,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, until their next episode of saber rattling sends you scurrying to this forum to...
Saying N.Korea is contained doesn't mean I advocate playing nice with them. The only reason I'd scurry to the forum is if foreign policy endangered us or an ally.

Quote:
Now I am confused. Korea was contained, how else did that containment that you allege come to be?
Their gov't planned economy has failed. They do not have the money/energy reserve/food to fight a successful conventional war.

Quote:
with half of Iran's population and a country five times smaller than Iran which took 6 years to bring to some state of stable instability
Which is why you are not a general - no offense - but we do not need to put boots on the ground. We could run an air compaign as we did in Yugoslavia.

Iraq was about killing a tyrant and his sons, disposing the gov't and regime change to instill a democracy in mostly authoritarian ME.

Iran is about bombing their nuclear capability. And while at, if we targeted gov't mullahs and clerics, Al Quds, Basij and the Republican Guard then arm the opposition, we could easily cause change there too.

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder whose economy is more vulnerable to a stoppage of the flow of oil, the west or Iran...
You are not quit correct sir. Oil would not stop flowing. The Straight of Hormuz would be more of a logistics problem. Oil would simply need to be shipped around the Cape of Good Hope/Africa. That's the solution and is an easy one. And if we immediately passed a law to prevent oil speculation, we definitely could control the impact it had on the cost per barrel of oil. Back to Iran, if Iran was targeting merchant vessels, it is very much assured that it would shut down their own oil imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Turn the place into one huge sand pile and be done with it.
Sympathy. The only problem with that are that there are so many Iranians that do not tow the same line as their gov't. During the Green Revolution, I made Persian friends which has sharply shaped my assessment of them. The majority of Iranians want to come back to the league of nations and global partnerships. Their twenty somethings espouse the same things as ours; they share our same likes and dislikes; a majority of their youth emulate American culture; the majority of Iranian people want the same things we want - to live free.

Last edited by mossomo; 10-19-2009 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,110,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post

Which is why you are not a general
Well it is obvious that it takes a non-general to tell another non-general.

Your analysis is as ridiculous as Romney's Greatest Threat Du Jure, mantra.

Just one example:
Strait of Hormuz
The Strait of Hormuz is by far the world’s most important chokepoint with an oil flow of 16.5-17 million barrels per day.
Located between Oman and Iran, the Strait of Hormuz connects the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea. Hormuz is the world's most important oil chokepoint due to its daily oil flow of 16.5-17 million barrels (first half 2008E), which is roughly 40 percent of all seaborne traded oil (or 20 percent of oil traded worldwide). Oil flows averaged over 16.5 million barrels per day in 2006, dropped in 2007 to a little over 16 million barrels per day after OPEC cut production, but rose again in 2008 with rising Persian Gulf supplies.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cabs/World_Oi...ts/Hormuz.html

Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,167,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It was a stupid question that deserved a stupid answer!
It was a totally valid question that got a very stupid excuse for an answer.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:01 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,167,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I honestly believe that there are Iranians who would gladly live in caves, survive on water, and field baked pita, just to see the whole chunk called Israel removed forever. And they mean it. No matter who dies. It would be okay with them to wear holey headwraps, and eat fireside out in the cold once a day, just to be able to lift their wicked smiles to Allah and salivate about how grand it was to watch their extremest brothers eliminate Israel in one fell swoop.
You obviously know nothing about Iran and its very young and modern population that is at odds with the present government.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
romny is a right winger a former governer of mass, other than that and his propensity for hiring illegal aliens to work on his property he is a pip squeak trying to lecture a giant.
its him that needs to shut up and sit down.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,520,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Any leader (Khamenei the psycho) who says a nation (Israel) should be "wiped off the map" must be considered a credible and viable threat.

You cannot negotiate with terrorists.

Qadaffi isn't a terrorist?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,334,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You obviously know nothing about Iran and its very young and modern population that is at odds with the present government.
First of all, it is impossible to know what the majority of Iranians think. But we do know that many, many of them are fundamentalist and support the regime.
And anyway it doesn't matter. The Republican Guards, who are intensely loyal to the theocracy, own that country lock, stock, and barrel. They own the industry, their members are in the top political positions, and they ARE the military. THEY HAVE THE GUNS.

The regime will not and cannot be overthrown. They will change their position and behavior only when they feel that their power is threatened. That will happen only when they believe they are faced with a CREDIBLE military threat.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,767,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I honestly believe that there are Americans who would gladly live in cardboard boxes, survive on water, and store brand Saltines, just to see the whole chunk called Iran removed forever. And they mean it. No matter who dies. It would be okay with them to wear holey socks, and eat at the mission once a day just to be able to lift a cup of egg nog and salivate about how grand it was to watch the Zionists eliminate Iran in one fell swoop.
Going out on a limb here and assuming you noticed what my glib message was in reply to, but if not, I included it above. Had Peggy Anne refrained from the use of the word 'Zionists' I would not have replied.

The young population might be at odds with the present Iranian government, but until the present government it unseated, and unrest calmed, Iran and much of the middle east presents a threat and should be watched/handled cautiously.

I'm not a hawk by any means and do not condone bombing anyone off the map. Personally, I would like to see the US completely out of the middle east and focus instead on our own issues as opposed to everyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies