Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,956,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
In fact, every poll except for Rasmussen shows the majority approve... common sense would tell you they're probably a bit skewed.
To be fair, the sister gallop poll of the cited poll shows 40% would vote for health care reform (more in line with Rasmussen's poll), 36% would vote against it and another 25% had no opinion at the time.

In U.S., Opposition to Healthcare Legislation Drops Modestly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,698,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
To be fair, the sister gallop poll of the cited poll shows 40% would vote for health care reform (more in line with Rasmussen's poll), 36% would vote against it and another 25% had no opinion at the time.

In U.S., Opposition to Healthcare Legislation Drops Modestly
That one doesn't include leaners.

Still not in line with Rasmussen as Rasmussen shows a 10 pt spread between approve/disapprove... You're looking at 40% / 36% versus 42% / 52%. Rasmussen is way off compared to every other poll out there. Why? They have a history of skewing towards the right:

Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That one doesn't include leaners.
Forgive me but what the hell is a leaner? How is one categorized as a leaner? Who categorizes them as a leaner. To me, it a poll game. With leaners and without leaners. Not once does the poll attempt to define leaner. Not once does the word leaner appear in the article. Not once is it explained how they concluded which way a leaner would vote. It seems gallup took people who had no opinion - leaners i beleive - and arbitrarily decided which way a "leaner" would vote.

You have one data set and two polls. One poll has yes/no/no opinion. Second poll has a yes/no vote where "no opinion" votes were arbitrarily decided for and grouped in yes/no categories.

In all due respect, the poll chosen includes a bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
the way people ask question will affect the poll
amen

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Forgive me but what the hell is a leaner? How is one categorized as a leaner? Who categorizes them as a leaner. To me, it a poll game. With leaners and without leaners. Not once does the poll attempt to define leaner. Not once does the word leaner appear in the article. It seems gallup took people who had no opinion - leaners i beleive - and arbitrarily decided which way a "leaner" would vote.

You have one data set and two polls. One poll has yes/no/no opinion. Second poll has a yes/no vote where "no opinion" votes were arbitrarily decided for and grouped in yes/no categories.

In all due respect, the poll chosen includes a bias.
Even if you exclude the "leaner" poll, which would fall more in line with how Rasmussen conducts their polls (leaning one way or the other)... Rasmussen still does not fall in line in any way shape or form with the more recent polls... and have shown their bias in previous polls, especially the Job Approval ratings. Take a look at the trend I posted with Bush Job Approval Ratings. You'll see the same thing now with the Obama Approval ratings, except now Rasmussen skews against the President, rather than for.

Also, take a look at the questions asked. Rasmussen does not specifically ask about a public option, while WaPo does.

I guess the question I would pose to you is, why would you say Rasmussen is correct and Washington Post is not?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Unfortunately, healthcare reform does not equal public option
Unfortunately, you must have not read the questions asked in Respective Polls in this thread.

The poll in the OP specifically asks about Public Option, not healthcare reform.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:15 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,294,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The poll also shows that people do not want to be taxed to pay for it, nor do they want fellow American's to be fined for not buying insurance.

In other words, the IDEA of a public option is supported, but not the Democratic proposals to make it happen.

Big difference. Had to point that out.

Very True Aero!!

I mainly like the option simply because there's no reason older individuals deserve more access to health-care than younger individuals.

No citizens deserve unfair legislative advantages and a right to more collective taxes that are paid by all of us!

If I'm going to pay into it and for it, i want something in return. NOW!

The current plan sucks and i don't like the government levying taxes on people that do not voluntarily enter the plan. (it is an act of coercion)

Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Forgive me but what the hell is a leaner?
Found my answer. If you answer a poll question indecisively, the poll uses another question/data set to group you. So for me, it's important to know what data/question is used to categorize "leaners".

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli
I guess the question I would pose to you is, why would you say Rasmussen is correct and Washington Post is not?
That's not fair, I don't think I ever commented on the WaPo poll. But I do have thoughts and will share.

It's all about the sample. I do not think the WaPo/ABC have the ability to get a good cross section of society for an unbiased poll. I do not know many Republicans, Conservatives, or Libertarians who really read or watch either WaPo or ABC. It follows the audience and the sample selected for the WaPo/ABC poll would favor the left and its agenda.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times
Quote:
It's all about the sample. I do not think the WaPo/ABC have the ability to get a good cross section of society for an unbiased poll. I do not know many Republicans, Conservatives, or Libertarians who really read or watch either WaPo or ABC. It follows the audience and the sample selected for the WaPo/ABC poll would favor the left and its agenda.
You don't know how they conducted the poll, either. They may have called people, sent people out on the streets in various cities, etc.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,341,196 times
Duplicate thread.

This poll was already discuss and found that when the Washington Post does a poll you might as well trash it.

Totally useless.

And why do you even care what the people think?

Your looney liberals leaders do not care what the people think and could care less about the majority not wanting or wanting it.

Remember, the lib leaders do not think their followers are smart enough to make a decision and need the government to make all the decisions for them.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:20 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,341,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know how they conducted the poll, either. They may have called people, sent people out on the streets in various cities, etc.

They probably called the WH to get his ok first and then polled the commi czars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies