Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 104 89.66%
No 12 10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I just realized something. The budsmokers here are probably the least paranoid group in the forum.
That's because bud smokers know that paranoia will destroy ya...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
As part of the 30% of Americans who are at least monthly smokers, I say yes.

No reason to continue to spend money on law enforcement on a weed. The war on drugs is an utter failure. The DEA even estimates that over 90% of all drugs shipped into this country actually make it through. Yeah, we are winning that war.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I just realized something. The budsmokers here are probably the least paranoid group in the forum.
You dont find alot of angry bud smokers, either. Furthermore, picture yourself on a desolate stretch of road at 2AM and ask yourself: Who do you want driving towards you in the opposite lane, someone drunk, or someone stoned?

It's such an easy answer, so it begs the question as to why marijuana is illegal.

It's also worth noting how it became "criminalized" in the first place:

Quote:
It is often asserted in pro-cannabis publications that DuPont actively supported the criminalization of the production of hemp in the US in 1937 through private and government intermediates, and alleged that this was done to eliminate hemp as a source of fiber—one of DuPont's biggest markets at the time. Hemp paper threatened DuPont's monopoly on the necessary chemicals for paper from trees, and Nylon, a synthetic fiber, was patented the same year that hemp was made illegal. The company denies these allegations.[14][15]

Old 10-22-2009, 04:00 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It IS a plant so it stands to reason that some people might be allergic.

Good thing you removed yourself from such people. However, many people do use pot regularly and get up in the morning, hold jobs and don't steal from anyone to buy it. It's like anything in life--accountability and responsibility are up to the person in question.

You brought up an illustration, too--pot can make you lose motivation. Smoking before you go to work isn't a good idea, unless you have some brainless job where it doesn't matter. Smoking instead of looking for a job is even worse.
But even smoking before work can be okay for some people. I know plenty of people in my industry (financial services, specifically the corporate HQs of Broker/Dealers for Independent Financial Advisors) who smoke morning, noon and night and who are very successful at jobs that include a lot of details and numbers. I know people who have passed the Series 7 (or 65) exams immediately after smoking a blunt. I know people who have scored 3 goals in a hockey game immediately after smoking some pot. I know people who have thrown a no-hitter in a tournament game after smoking pot. Michael Phelps smoked pot and that certainly didn't do anything to HIS motivation. What about Snoop Dogg's motivation? He's the epitome of STONER but he's obviously motivated and is incredibly successful.

The "Lazy Stoner" types are those who would be lazy with or without weed. Generally the pot smoking covers up the problems deeper within the person if it seems as though their pot usage increases as their life gets worse.

My mother is allergic to pot. Bell Peppers, Smoke, Oregano, Mold and Shellfish are other allergies she has. She also has Athsma. She told me a story about how she took a puff from a joint in college and woke up in the emergency room. The doctor told her not to smoke pot ever again.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Nice to see that this poll indicates that the tyrants who would restrict the freedoms of their neighbor in this regard are at the extreme fringe.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
But even smoking before work can be okay for some people. I know plenty of people in my industry (financial services, specifically the corporate HQs of Broker/Dealers for Independent Financial Advisors) who smoke morning, noon and night and who are very successful at jobs that include a lot of details and numbers. I know people who have passed the Series 7 (or 65) exams immediately after smoking a blunt. I know people who have scored 3 goals in a hockey game immediately after smoking some pot. I know people who have thrown a no-hitter in a tournament game after smoking pot. Michael Phelps smoked pot and that certainly didn't do anything to HIS motivation. What about Snoop Dogg's motivation? He's the epitome of STONER but he's obviously motivated and is incredibly successful.

The "Lazy Stoner" types are those who would be lazy with or without weed. Generally the pot smoking covers up the problems deeper within the person if it seems as though their pot usage increases as their life gets worse.

My mother is allergic to pot. Bell Peppers, Smoke, Oregano, Mold and Shellfish are other allergies she has. She also has Athsma. She told me a story about how she took a puff from a joint in college and woke up in the emergency room. The doctor told her not to smoke pot ever again.
I used to work with a few stoners and I haven't met one yet that I'd like to work with on a regular basis. Not saying there aren't any out there, but the ones I had to supervise were terrible. Granted,they probably would have been just as bad sober...too bad I never got to see them sober.

I still think it should be okay for workplaces to drug test employees if they so choose. I personally won't work at a place that doesn't require drug testing, which is why I'm involved with aircraft. Basically everyone is tested per TSA and FAA guidelines and things do go a whole lot smoother here.

I'm probably allergic, my mom had the same thing happen to her that happened to your mom

Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Marijuana should stay illegal.

Marijuana has been linked via various legitimate scientific studies to schizophrenia (and don't tell me the studies are all part of a vast gov't conspiracy cuz they I know ya'll are smoking something): Schizophrenia.com - Marijuana Cannabis and Schizophrenia Those who have a family history of schizophrenia may be particularly succeptible -- it has a way of unleashing schizophrenia in the brain.

Some symptoms of schizophrenia include (note, don't just get your info. from movies, there are other symptoms you may not be aware of):
Schizophrenia Symptoms

Marijuana is now believed to damage DNA and cause cancer -- hmmmph! so much for its medicinal properties. Marijuana Damages DNA And May Cause Cancer, New Test Reveals

Marijuana is a gateway drug. Just look at Phillip Garrido's rap sheet. Started out early with marijuana, then LSD, then raping a woman, abduction and rape of a child, etc. etc. Did you know he heard "voices" in his head up until the time of his arrest? Sound familiar? Can we say schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is an organic brain disease. Marijuana does not 'unleash' it.

Sure, maybe marijuana causes cancers (there are no studies to prove this); besides, what DOESN'T? Everything is potentially bad in it's extremes. Have you looked at the air toxin levels for your city?

Marijuana the gateway drug...yeah, okay. Just a cry from the rabid anti-marijuana people who don't really know anything about it, other than that it's 'bad'. Again, no real proof or evidence to back up this claim. It could be said that cigarettes or alcohol are gateway drugs as well but those are perfectly legal (and far more 'dangerous').

Don't know who Phillip Garrido is, but you're using one lone case as an argument against marijuana? That's rather weak. My hypothesis would be that he was a violent, unstable person regardless of marijuana use.

As far as violent crimes go, the most common drug found in people committing these crimes (especially rape and assault) is...alcohol.

The National Center for Victims of Crime - Library/Document Viewer (http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32348 - broken link)

Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Yes, legalize it and tax it.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Furthermore, picture yourself on a desolate stretch of road at 2AM and ask yourself: Who do you want driving towards you in the opposite lane, someone drunk, or someone stoned?
Good point. They'd be driving at 15 mph anyway.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 PM

374 posts, read 812,898 times
I don't believe in using marijuana or any other type of recreational drug for that matter (besides a little whiskey now and again), but it's none of my business what kind of substances other people choose to use, as long as they aren't harming anyone. I think the government is wasting a lot of time and tax dollars incarserating and prosecuting some old hippie because he wanted to light up a joint at home. Just because it's legallized doesn't mean everyone is going to rush out and get stoned. I personally wouldn't touch the stuff, but that doesn't mean I think I should ban other people from using a substance based on my personal beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies